PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable pH swings?

Baldy
01-18-2013, 02:11 PM
So i just got my reefkeeper lite set up and the pH probe calibrated last night, and i noticed that i am getting a pH swing from day to night. before the lights went off i was at 8.0, and i notice this morning that im at 7.8. I have a bunch of chaeto in my sump on an opposite light cycle already. this seems a little large, or am i overreacting? if it is too much, what can i do to reduce the swing?

Proteus
01-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Unplug the prob and don't worry about it. I never check ph and unless I get a ca reactor never will

DAVE
01-18-2013, 02:26 PM
IMO, that is a normal swing and I wouldn't worry about it.

Titus is right about monitroing pH, it really isn't that important... as long as you are frequently testing Alk/Calc. If those 2 parameters are in check then your pH should be fine.

7.8-8.5 is acceptable range.

Baldy
01-18-2013, 02:43 PM
lol ok. I wasnt sure what was ok and what wasnt so i thought id ask. ive read that stability is more important than the actual pH value itself, but if thats the general opinion on ph, then i wont worry about it! thanks

kien
01-18-2013, 03:08 PM
am i overreacting?

Yes :-)

As others above me have said, this is acceptable. Mine swings from 7.8 to 8.3 daily and has been doing this for over 3 years now. And I don't have a refuge on a reverse lighting cycle. I have never done a single thing to my pH. In fact, getting a pH probe for my controller was a complete waste of money in my opinion.

Further to the topic, it's nice that you asked actually. I've seen so many people PANIC whenever they see their pH change and start dumping in a crap load of stuff to either raise or lower their pH only to crash their tanks. :cry:

Baldy
01-18-2013, 05:28 PM
i hate adding chems to my tank unless i have to. even biopellets caused me problems last year and i wont go near carbon dosing because of it. KISS. the only reason i have the reverse light cycle on my fuge is because it was easy to sest up and i needed the chaeto for nutrient removal.

thanks again for the replies guys. much appreciated