PDA

View Full Version : HELP! A maxi mini just commit suicide in a PH. What do I do?

SanguinesDream
01-18-2013, 01:19 PM
I woke up to an awful noise of juddering to find that a maxi mini somehow made its way up to a powerhead in my QT tank. #$&%#$@*£^@!!!!

I have a vicious head cold and my faculties are not with me ( plus I was interrupted from a dream where I was a samurai fighting a ceremonial dragon come to life) so I quickly unplugged the powerhead and removed it, tore open a handy super activated carbon filter and jammed that in my filter to try to save the other inhabitants from the chemical warfare, what else should I do?

I just did a 50% water change the night before last and I don't have any premade. Should I give the carbon an opportunity to work or change the water and if so how much?

Proteus
01-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Use the carbon but I'd be making water.

SanguinesDream
01-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Use the carbon but I'd be making water.

What percentage?

subman
01-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Do another water change when you get the water ready and the carbon will clean out the rest. I personally don't like the massive water changes but prefer multiple smaller (10-20%). Giving the tank time to settle for a day or two in between.

SanguinesDream
01-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Now to see how much damage that maxi mini is in. Fricikty frack.

Proteus
01-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Yeah I agree with Jason 20% and see how it goes

subman
01-18-2013, 02:24 PM
I would also be looking into why the mini maxi took the header into the PH. Mini maxi's font usually move around once they find a home. How long have you had it?

SanguinesDream
01-18-2013, 02:47 PM
How long have you had it?

Since boxing day. It is in my QT tank. I managed to get the powerhead apart and it's foot seems to intact so hopefully it will adhere to a piece of liverock again.

howdy20012002
01-18-2013, 03:41 PM
sorry to hear about your bad luck
how big is the tank?
if the carpet is still mostly in one piece I would't really worry about it too much unless the the water is cloudy or murky or your corals are reacting.

SanguinesDream
01-20-2013, 01:16 PM
It's been three days now just running straight carbon and everything is doing great. I have been able to top up with premade saltwater, so knock on wood, I've averted a chemical warfare.

The maxi mini, on the other hand, may not recover. I've tried several times to get it to adhere to various places on low turbulence areas of live rock only to have it curl up in a ball with a small portion of the foot attached.

RedCoralEdmonton
01-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Dont underestimate the regenerating power of the Maxi Mini.... just leave it in low flow and dont touch it, even if it is balled up and not attached.... Ive received a maxi that looked like a donut, no word of a lie it had no mouth or foot just the ring and it regenerated.... just leave it be.... unless it is melting down and spewing

Steve