PDA

View Full Version : Help !! I have millions of baby clowns fries

ltay
05-11-2004, 07:52 PM
Please help me and need some good advice
. I do not know what to do... My two clowns have been popping out baby clowns - millions of them ... just yesterday night around 12:30 am , another batch spawned. The fries are everywhere ... in the refugium, overflow (top and under tank), and the seahorse tank as well..

Beverly
05-11-2004, 09:14 PM
I'm not sure what you could do now that they are actually here. They need to be in a tank of their own and be fed asap. What do they eat? they are probably too small to eat newly hatched brine shrimp, but will probably eat rotifers.

Here's an article on rotifers:

http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/rotifers.shtml

Phytoplankton:

http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/phyto.shtml

I'm sorry to say that you will probably not be able to set up your food source in time to rear your fry :sad: But good luck in case you can :smile:

kuatto
05-11-2004, 09:22 PM
What about cyclopeses(spelling?)in the powder form.

Quinn
05-11-2004, 09:31 PM
I would hit up the clownfish and anemones forum on RC. Lots of clown breeders there. The bad news is that you have to be prepared for the hatch with food and rearing tanks. The good news is, they're reputed to be prolific. You'll get other chances, and in the meantime, your corals are enjoying a real class A dinner!

zulu_principle
05-12-2004, 02:04 AM
Well Congratulations.................

Unfortuantely clownfish fry will only last about 1, maybe 2 days without feeding. Typically rotifers are the first feed although many have tested lots of other feeds this is pretty much the tried and true method of breeders.

Rotifers, easy but they do crash, setup 2 or 3 cultures, best is the breeding forum on RC, a couple of articles that can help you out. Or there are a few here who can show you the way, very simple.

Phyto - difficult in my mind, and the sources are financially resonable. Their are plenty of alternative, DT's, Tahitian Blend, plenty of fridgeable products that are more difficult to contaminate then culturing phyto.

The eggs need to be moved to their own hatching vessel, and then fed rotifers for about 5 days (depends on species).

Let me know if I can help.

Wendell

PS If the tank is small you may experience an NH3 spike, its a little big for coral feed.

ltay
05-12-2004, 06:56 AM
Came back from work today and all the fries are gone... gone ..gone..

I have various other spawns but no luck in helping them also. I am going to purchase a breeder tank and put it into the main tank.

Thanks for all the reply..

theshad
05-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Based on the information we have received from a breeder that we supply food to, new fry need to be fed Rotifers for about the first week.

You will need to move the eggs to a seperate tank when they are ready to hatch. Once hatched you will need to ensure that There are plenty of Rotifers in the tank, the fry should not have to swin to get their food.

Aside from the Food, you will also need to do multiple daily water changes as the water quality quickly becomes an issue.

Hope this is some information you can use. We can also supply you with regular shipments of Rotifers or can supply you with what you need to get a temporary culture going.