PDA

View Full Version : Next Fish - Advice Please

gridley
01-18-2013, 01:58 AM
Good evening

We are wanting to add to our tank now and would like some advice. We have a 90g mixed reef tank and currently have two Perculas, one Foxface, and four Royal Grammas.

For a next addition we are thinking between:
- Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish
- Atlantic Blue Tang
- Kole's Tang
- Yellow Tang
- Scopas Tang

Thoughts and recommendations please and thanks!

riceboy
01-18-2013, 02:01 AM
I would choose the kole tang, good algea eater and beautiful fish and not to expensive.

fishoholic
01-18-2013, 02:40 AM
The Yellow Longnose butterfly fish are known to nip at corals and get kinda big for a 90g, but I admit they are pretty. Atlantic Blue Tang's also get to big for a 90g. I would pick the Kole tang, they are pretty and make good algae cleaners.

Leah
01-18-2013, 03:11 AM
Kole Tang

subman
01-18-2013, 03:33 AM
i"ll agree go with the Kole

naesco
01-18-2013, 04:56 AM
Choose the kole. You will be very happy

gridley
01-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Wow, five votes for the Kole - no dissenting votes? :biggrin:

craigwmiller
01-18-2013, 02:12 PM
I picked up a Kole this week +1 vote for the Kole! (check my journal in my sig, near last post, for a picture of the Kole, beautiful!!)

gridley
01-18-2013, 07:45 PM
I picked up a Kole this week +1 vote for the Kole! (check my journal in my sig, near last post, for a picture of the Kole, beautiful!!)

I checked out your tank build - your Kole looks incredible - the ones I've seen are a brown color - what makes the difference? Is it the light it is under, or is yours from a different location?

craigwmiller
01-18-2013, 09:16 PM
I checked out your tank build - your Kole looks incredible - the ones I've seen are a brown color - what makes the difference? Is it the light it is under, or is yours from a different location?

Not 100% sure where this Kole came from originally. I'll try to find out from Steve. Googling seems to show similar looking ones from Hawaii, but thems internets aren't always accurate :)

It did look very similar at Red Coral, under very different lighting, so this is it's natural color.

George
01-18-2013, 09:53 PM
There are at least 2 different species of tang that are commonly called Kole tang in the trade. make sure you know what you are getting. When young both species look similar. When they become adult, they look different (just different. I am not saying one is ugly than another. :))

gridley
01-18-2013, 11:08 PM
There are at least 2 different species of tang that are commonly called Kole tang in the trade. make sure you know what you are getting. When young both species look similar. When they become adult, they look different (just different. I am not saying one is ugly than another. :))

Thanks - This is interesting - so how do I tell the difference and get one that will have a blue look rather than the brown?

gregzz4
01-18-2013, 11:19 PM
George (gridley) I may be wrong, but I understand the only differences in Kole Tangs is in the body patterns, and I can't even find images of ones different than mine from Hawaii
A true Kole tang ( Ctenochaetus strigosus ) is a copper/brown color
What I see on the web as 'blue-looking' Koles are just lighting differences

Maybe someone can elaborate if I'm incorrect