PDA

View Full Version : Zoa looks to be eaten

RenHoek104
01-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Any idea why my zoa looks hollow on one head? The tip used to be white but now it looks eaten, which is strange because i don't have any zoa eaters in my tank.
Ren

somewherebeyondthesea
01-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Any idea why my zoa looks hollow on one head? The tip used to be white but now it looks eaten, which is strange because i don't have any zoa eaters in my tank.
Ren

I had a few nudi hitchhikers in my 12 G that were munching my zoas at night, the pop out when the blue atinics come on (slightly resemble Green star polyps) and they're no bigger than a few mm. I take em out with tweezers.

Hope that helps:mrgreen:

RenHoek104
01-18-2013, 12:57 AM
I had a few nudi hitchhikers in my 12 G that were munching my zoas at night, the pop out when the blue atinics come on (slightly resemble Green star polyps) and they're no bigger than a few mm. I take em out with tweezers.

Hope that helps:mrgreen:

I'll take a look tomorrow night because right now i'm not ready to do so. I hope they don't eat my nice zoas. The one in the pic never opened in my tank so let's hope the open ones will stay nice.
Ren

dreef
01-18-2013, 02:20 AM
Look for zoa spiders as well,they come out at night.Light brown colored about a 1/4 inch across.They perch on top of the zoa polyp and clean the inside out.

RenHoek104
01-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Now i have two holes on that frag. I added some new rock and maybe i caught a pest. I'll turn on my blue lights tonight amd investigate.

What are the chances that my peppermint shrimp are ingesting my zoa? Do peppermint shrimp move from left to right in an hypnotic manner?

Ren

somewherebeyondthesea
01-18-2013, 03:50 PM
It's unlikely the shrimp is eating your zoas especially if it's getting food elsewhere (mine eats mysis shrimp) my shrimp also sways back and forth:mrgreen: they do that in the wild too I've seen them do it while I was diving!

If you don't find what it is with the blue lights, I would suggest using a coral dip?

lastlight
01-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Do peppermint shrimp move from left to right in an hypnotic manner?

Both of mine do this it's quite amusing to watch. Hopefully they're not your issue. Mine do comb through all the coral after I feed the LPS and filter feeders but as far as I know they don't eat coral.

subman
01-18-2013, 05:38 PM
How sure are you that the shrimp are peppermints? I've seen camels (candy) shrimp sold as peppermints, but they are not reef safe

RenHoek104
01-20-2013, 07:02 AM
How sure are you that the shrimp are peppermints? I've seen camels (candy) shrimp sold as peppermints, but they are not reef safe

Pretty sure they are peps. I bought them from a reputable lfs here in town. How can i tell the difference?

By the way, i've checked my tank at night and i haven't seen anything eating my zoas. I'm all out of ideas on what's going on in my tank.

Ren

somewherebeyondthesea
01-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Try looking here to see if something matches:

http://www.coralpedia.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=384

Hope this helps.

RenHoek104
01-20-2013, 03:17 PM
I have a few amphipods on the frag, maybe it's eating the dead zoa. The other zoas are fine.
Ren

RenHoek104
01-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Look what I found!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62kaq0T1gU0
I have the same sized amphipods hanging around that zoa. I think I found my culprit.

Ren