PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank may not always be the answer

Bob I
05-11-2004, 04:06 PM
After reading all the argument regarding quarantine tanks, and losing a couple of favorite fish after introducing a Yellow Eye Tang, I have set up a quarantine tank :rolleyes:
However I have just found that it may not always be the answer. I have just noticed that one of the Purple firefish I purchased on February 8th has developed a swollen throat, and is beginning to scratch that area. That is over three months ago, and is longer than one would quarantine a newly acquired fish. They and a Bicolor Blenny are the only occupants of my 33 gallon semi cube.

In addition that tank is full of rocks, zoos, and Montipora digitatas, and I really don't relish the thought of tearing the tank, which has only been set up a few weeks apart again to catch that fish. :mad:

Nemain
05-11-2004, 04:11 PM
ack Bob =( you have been having a run of terrible luck =( Hope everything turns around for you soon =)

Beth

BCOrchidGuy
05-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Geez Bob, that's horrible to hear that. After keeping a trio of black percs (I think a saddle backs) in isolation for a month I put them into my main tank, two of them got ich with in a couple of days and both died, one is fine and has been since then (a couple of months). I think there are always nasties around in our tanks, isolation is mainly to allow us to observe our fish for any obvious signs of illness, sometimes though the signs aren't so obvious. Sorry to hear about that, I guess it's part of keeping aquariums, that being said, it sure doesn't make it any easier when a fish gets sick does it.

Doug