PDA

View Full Version : Approaches to aggression in stocking a 120

trilinearmipmap
05-11-2004, 05:31 AM
Planning the stocking of a 120g reef, it will be my first SW tank. I plan to understock because it is my personal philosophy.

I like the look of Maroon Clownfish but they are said to be aggressive, False Percula clowns are tamer but don't appeal to me as much. So which plan makes more sense?

Plan A: put in several different types of scrappy aggressive fish that can take care of themselves, eg pair of Maroon Clowns, Orchid Dottyback, perhaps a Tang.

Plan B: put in more peaceful types of fish that won't bother each other, eg. False Percula Clowns, Royal Gramma, other more peaceful fish.

Plan A appeals to me more if it will work out, please advise me on this.

EmilyB
05-11-2004, 05:33 AM
Maroons with a host are no where NEAR their reputation, when compared to Tomatoes....or WC Clarkiis, or Black "Percs".....

IME anyway.... :lol:

DOO-E
05-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Okay it all depend if you want an active flashy tank with a high activity level, i would go with more aggressive species but if you like a colourful tank that all the fish seem to get along and moderate activity i would go with the Calmer more doctile fish. The only thing is with the more aggressive fish more precaution has to be taken when adding new species.

AJ_77
05-11-2004, 04:17 PM
My false Percula female bites me every time, anemone or not (think she's WC). I think you would do fine with Plan A, as those species seem to have been kept together many times. What kind of Tang?
You'll find just as many stories of your Plan B fish getting into problems together, I think...

One thing, if it's a new tank and you want a host anemone for your Maroons (I think the gold stripe are particularly stunning), then that's 6 months to a year away until your tank is a good and stable... But you know that already. :biggrin:

BCOrchidGuy
05-11-2004, 04:33 PM
I've avoided maroons simply because of the aggression factor I've read about. I've kept tomatos with out any problems, cinnamons as well. False percs have taken chunks out of my hand while cleaning the glass and moving rock so who knows. I think the Maroons are one of the prettiest clown available, and the gold stripe is outstanding.

Doug

Nemain
05-11-2004, 04:56 PM
My maroons arent agressive in the least, of course I added them last to a well established tank.

trilinearmipmap
05-12-2004, 05:04 AM
OK so if I get a Yellow or Hippo Tang first would that not make sense as it may eat algae which may initially be a problem. Two months later an Orchid Dottiback. Two months later one other fish, then two months later a pair of Maroon Clowns, does that sound reasonable?

EmilyB
05-12-2004, 06:41 AM
Never plan for things to go as planned.... :lol:

DOO-E
05-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Okay i would first put in the maoons clowns and place a divider or a safe haven fior the smaller maroon in the tank until the two pair off. Thenwhen they are paired put in an anenome. The clowns will reside to the anenome and no go to far. Then put in the dottyback then the tang. Or if you are buying a pair of maroons i would do it in the same way exept you dont have to wait for the two to pair off. The thing is tangs are really aggressive so you should put them in last.

AJ_77
05-12-2004, 03:34 PM
OK so if I get a Yellow or Hippo Tang first would that not make sense as it may eat algae which may initially be a problem. Two months later an Orchid Dottiback. Two months later one other fish, then two months later a pair of Maroon Clowns, does that sound reasonable?
This sounds like the model of restraint, and you should be applauded. :biggrin: (no, I'm not being a smart-@ss)...

By the time you get to your Maroon pair (I'm assuming you plan to get a mated pair and avoid the major hassle and poor odds of trying to get a couple to pair up on your own), you should be in good shape to judge the shape and progress of your system. Then an anemone choice will be much easier. Good plan, good luck. :smile:

Oh, and: what EmilyB said...
:mrgreen:

trilinearmipmap
07-19-2004, 05:59 PM
OK well I decided to get two Ocellaris clowns and they have been in quarantine for a month and will go into the main tank once the live rock has cycled, any good suggestions for a next fish.

I read different things about Orchid dottybacks, some say they are peaceful, some say they will eat your cleaner shrimp, I don't know whether to get one or not.

The six-line wrasse seems to be the fish-du-jour on Reef Central the past few months, however I have read these can be aggressive and may eat the shrimp too.

I've always wanted a pair of Coral Banded shrimp but I've read about these hunting down and killing fish.

Anyway I can see the upside and downside to different kinds of fish, I'd appreciate some pointers on what to get next.

Cap'n
07-19-2004, 10:25 PM
Go for the six-line wrasse. They are very smart, active and inquisitive and will find every nook and cranny of rockwork they can fit through. Since their markings and behaviour are so different from the clowns the six-line will compliment your tank very well. I have had two. One became oversized cleaner shrimp food not long after I got it. The other I kept for close to a year until I left the hood open one night and found her on the floor in the morning. She would do circles and play in the powerhead current and would eat from my hand; sorely missed. I would have another one right now if I had the room.

Anyone want a scribbled rabbitfish? :biggrin:

Quagmire
07-19-2004, 11:25 PM
I'm on my second 6 line also,my first met the same fate as Cptclevers.
I've heard they can be agressive but never had a problem with mine.
But it may eat your shrimp and it will eat your pods,so it can be hard on your DSB if you have one.Unless you have a refuge to use as a pod factory.Great little fish though,with freeky eyes.

EmilyB
07-20-2004, 02:44 AM
I evicted my six line for harassing the bartlett anthias.

trilinearmipmap
07-20-2004, 03:05 AM
I am just curious about how a six-line wrasse can become oversized cleaner shrimp food, I thought wrasses would harass shrimp and not the other way around.

Cap'n
07-20-2004, 03:15 AM
I am just curious about how a six-line wrasse can become oversized cleaner shrimp food, I thought wrasses would harass shrimp and not the other way around.

It was a juvenile six-line and a huge cleaner shrimp. The shrimp was starting to get aggressive with the smaller fish in the tank and would stalk up on them whenever he saw one near. The wrasse happened to check out a hole in a rock the shrimp was perched on and was still inside when the shrimp darted up and jabbed its claw inside. The wrasse came out injured and was immediatly snatched up by the shrimp. I didn't even have time to open the hood before it was all over. I decided I had had enough with unpredictable inverts and traded in my cleaner shrimp, 2 camels, brittle star and red emerald crab the following weekend.

My six-line was never aggressive with anything in the tank. The one I had for about a year got to be pretty big (not as big as CanadianMan's though) but never bothered anything.

hockey nut
07-20-2004, 07:56 AM
My six line has been a great fish. Never had a problem in the 2 1/2 years I"ve had it. In fact he/she recieved a couple of compliments today from some other reefers. Other nice fish, Bicolour Blennies are cool and "looks like a little puppy dog" my wife says. Bangia Cardinals. Dart fish ie fire fish . shrimp gobies. These have been hassel free fish for me and are very enjoyable to have IMHO. Setting up a tank and stocking it is always the best part. Have fun :biggrin: