PDA

View Full Version : Sump Refugium

lodidodi
01-16-2013, 04:08 AM
Wondering if I can pick the brains of everyone on this board about the sump/refugium I'm planning.

I'm planning out the sump/refugium that I want to put under my 90 gallon tank (48" x 18"). I think I'm going to go with a 33 gallon long (48" x 12" x 12"). I'm thinking this would allow me 4 sections of 12 x 12. The first would hold the skimmer, heater, etc. I was thinking of putting a DSB in the second section, macro algae (either ulva or chaeto) in the third section. Then the return pump in the fourth.

Does the layout make sense? Is there a better set up for the sump/refugium?

gridley
02-04-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure if you have got this figured out yet or not. While I am far from being an expert, I would add a narrow first chamber as a raw water chamber with your overflow pipe extending below the water line. I then have the water running over the baffle into filter socks. I have only three sections - 1) raw water; 2) filterocks/skimmer; 3) GFO/Carbon reactor and return pump.

I wish that I had a refugium and have been looking at ways I can modify my sump to add one.

Here is a picture of mine

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj509/gridley1/120723tank2.jpg?t=1343098238

Madmak
02-04-2013, 10:06 PM
My fuge is a 30 gallon tank fed by a small 300 GPH pump in my overflow section (dirty water). It then overflows to my return pump area. Many pods and such survive the trip back up to the DT. Maybe consider your fuge at one end, overflows at the other, and return in the middle??

duncangweller
02-04-2013, 11:17 PM
I have a 3 section sump.

Overflow and skimmer in left section, return pump abd heater in the middle and refugium on the left.
75% goes into skimmer section and 25% into the refugium.

Both overflow into the return section and back to the tank.

Type 'melevs reef' into Google and look in the sump section for a load of designs and pros/cons

Dunc

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

lodidodi
02-09-2013, 12:33 AM
My plan is to drill the DT and set up a Bean Animal overflow. I'd rather not T off three overflow pipes. It just seems easier to have them all go to one spot. I guess my question would be does it make sense to split the middle into a DSB section and a refugium section or can I turn the whole middle into a DSB/refugium?