PDA

View Full Version : how to get pods?

hooper
01-16-2013, 03:18 AM
how can i get a large number of pods growing in my tanks and maintain the population? PLZ help

Baldy
01-16-2013, 03:26 AM
im no expert on the topic, but ever since adding chaeto to my sump, ive noticed more pods. refugiums are the recommendation ive read.

jtbadco
01-16-2013, 03:40 AM
a refugium can help but if the pods cant get back to the DP then not so much

I have a m+f green mandarin and scooter dragonette in my 120 and they are all fat.

Here's what I do...

1. Layer the rock with oyster shells between. This helps to create places where the pods can grow in peace.
2. Create little rubble piles where pods can breed (in areas with med flow to avoid debris pile ups)
3. add a HOB filter full of LR rubble to the tank. Pods will grow in the filter and flow back into the tank.

I also recently added a sump/ fuge above my tank so it gravity feeds back to the DT. (see cryptic tank)

HTH
Blaine

hooper
01-16-2013, 03:52 AM
thanks. i do have rubble piles in low to med. flow now how do i tell that ive got pods? the goal is to get a mandrian

daniella3d
01-16-2013, 03:54 AM
you need to feed them. Pods eat phytoplankton so feeding your tank with live phyto will greatly enhance the pod population.

This is often why we don't see much pods in a ULN system, nothing for them to eat.

A mandarin can be trained to eat other type of food. I feed mine with live white worms (easy to raise with a starting culture), fish roe (caplan eggs) and bloodworms (occasionaly). If you can get an ORA mandarin, they are tank raised and already trained to eat.

jtbadco
01-16-2013, 04:04 AM
Getting an ORA mandarin is a good idea if you can, they are raised eating prepared foods.

as she said, feed phyto plankton will increase the population. Only way to check really is to take a flashlight to the tank when the lights are off. This may give you an idea,

naesco
01-16-2013, 05:03 AM
thanks. i do have rubble piles in low to med. flow now how do i tell that ive got pods? the goal is to get a mandrian

What is the size of your tank and how long has it been running?
What other fish do you have.

reefwars
01-16-2013, 11:49 AM
simple......dose pods, different types for variety.