PDA

View Full Version : what keeps you going?

Coralgurl
01-16-2013, 02:59 AM
just wondering what keeps you going with your tanks? ive been so unmotivated lately to the point of shuttng down both and getting out. fish dying, corals dying, tanks look crappy. i know i should test to see whats going on but i am not motivated to do so. ive procrastinated posting this as i ws hoping once i got back from our trip, things would change. ii still have to do a water change tonight, but got home late from work and just taking a minute to unwind. does anyone else ever go through this? ive onnly been doing this for 2 years, but sometimes i fell like i just dont get it....maybe a break is all thats needed....

zum14
01-16-2013, 03:08 AM
Dont quit. I did, I regret it. I had lots of bad things happening in tank and in life but in the end I really miss sitting back and just watching the tank. Even if it wasnt perfect there was lots of really neat things always going on.

Seriak
01-16-2013, 03:31 AM
With my first tank I got bored, which lead to poor maintenance, which led to deaths and no growth, which lead to more deaths and the tank falling apart which lead to me rethinking this hobby. Now that I really get involved with photos and automation and really watching things grow and then fragging them and redesigning, I am staying way more interested. And I have done a weekly water change for a year now which I think has helped a lot, along with the big three on the tests and dosing. (Ca, Alk, Mg)

The biggest thing for me also is staying active on the forum and talking with people. They keep me interested.

Delphinus
01-16-2013, 03:32 AM
This hobby seems to have a lot more highs and lows than most. We all feel it at one point or another.. Hopefully you find your groove. Maybe you just need to change things around a bit.

Baldy
01-16-2013, 03:33 AM
I struggled with corals dying and not growing for a long time. i loved all the pics of zoas id find on forums but every frag i added melted away for a long time. I started experimenting and found out that biopellets pulled the nutrients too low in my tank. long story short, i wanted to push the reset button sooooooo many times. or take a break. but im so glad i didnt. what keeps me going, seeing something hilarious like a clownfish go after a laser pointer just like my dog =P sitting back watching the tank and having a beer. even after all the things ive gone through and am going through (massive outbreak of ich in my DT) i couldnt imagine not having a tank going.

dont give up. youll figure it out

intarsiabox
01-16-2013, 03:40 AM
just wondering what keeps you going with your tanks? ive been so unmotivated lately to the point of shuttng down both and getting out. fish dying, corals dying, tanks look crappy. i know i should test to see whats going on but i am not motivated to do so. ive procrastinated posting this as i ws hoping once i got back from our trip, things would change. ii still have to do a water change tonight, but got home late from work and just taking a minute to unwind. does anyone else ever go through this? ive onnly been doing this for 2 years, but sometimes i fell like i just dont get it....maybe a break is all thats needed....

I think everyone gets to this point sometimes. I find setting up a new tank and getting everything to thrive is the most exciting part of the hobby, so I end up shutting down and restarting tanks every year or 2. Mind you most of my tanks are overly large either. I just recently shut down a medium sized tank to go back to a 29g. I had a 29g for 2 years set up before and it has always been my favorite so I went back to this size. I sold just about everything and bought completly different equipment to try out. So far so good. Of course my wife hates this because I have about a dozen hobbies that I jump back and forth to and she thinks I have a problem but I just crave change. It's not my fault!

lpsreefer
01-16-2013, 03:50 AM
You know what keeps me going. Seeing other people's tanks. New setups, great setups, or even failing setups.
Seeing other reefers tanks keeps me going.
I love helping reefers out.

Coralgurl
01-16-2013, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! I don't want to give up, I love my fish, they make me smile. I love this forum and the people here are awesome. I just need to find my groove again! I know any time I've thought about selling stuff off, I can't actually post it. Deep breath and go.....

jorjef
01-16-2013, 04:01 AM
What keeps me going? Good question. I do enjoy looking at my tank and even more the peoples reaction and questions about it when they see it. Its not TOTM material but to the inexperienced eyes of freinds and family it impresses. Fish drive me crazy and crabs are disposed of ASAP and shrimp are not allowed lol. Some snails I tolerate".... Corals fascinate me, no SPS just LPS. Coral warfare moving about etc. still in awe when I see a fully inflated plate wanting to move or a torch stinger tentacle waaaaay out there ....Go back to the basics and see where that takes you.

brotherd
01-16-2013, 04:05 AM
You can't quit...maybe you need to help newbies like me find the path.

Oilers
01-16-2013, 04:43 AM
Coralgurl,
I totally understand where you are coming from. After reading your post, I just remember I haven't cleaned out my skimmer for about 3 months now. Boy, it's full of c**p in there. I have been busy with kids, work and life that my tank has been neglected as well. But like others have said, when I sit down and watch the tank for a few minutes, it's a wonderful feeling that's hard to explain. It is something that keeps me going so I hope you would be able to continue on with this hobby. I think most of us go through this one time or another. You are not alone. There are reefers in Calgary that would be able to help you out with your tank to set it in the right path again. Good luck.
David

Midway
01-16-2013, 05:01 AM
What keeps me going in this exciting hobby? Well I was so close to shut down when I did the stupidest thing in this hobby so far (hopefully last one ever). I took my 90 gals sump offline because I did build a refugium in there, not to make the history long, I ended up killing every single fish I had because of lack of oxygen in the tank. Because i had to wait for the silicone to cure over night, i completely forgot that one of the pumps that was stirring the surface got shutdown at night back then and there it was, no sump to bring oxygen to the DT through the skimmer and return pump.

Next day I almost drop to the floor when i went to check the tank and saw all my beloved fish dead. I went into a mild depression right after that and I thought I'm done with this hobby. My wife when into a shock when she found out what I'd done but I'm still in this hobby because of my very beloved wife that encouraged me to keep going and to be more careful from there on.

After that disaster, I've been going even stronger that before, almost weekly water changes, checking parms, dosing alk, mag and calc, because of that my tank is looking better than ever. Maybe that had to happen so I had to be more serious and discipline when taking care of our reef. Don't be discourage keep going you won't regret it.

Coralgurl
01-16-2013, 01:50 PM
There's been so many of you that have had crashes and losses that just have me shaking my head at how you do it but it's great that you do and can share your stories. I did a large wc last night on the 55 (20 gls), hopefully that will help in addition to the 20 gls I did on the weekend. All I can do now is make more water and have it ready in case of emergency while we are gone.

I guess things have just been so busy I just haven't been able to spend the time fixing, testing etc. we've had a tank going for the last 6 years so it would be weird not to have anything. The family is great and help out when I threaten their lives. :lol: jk

Hopefully things will turn around soon. Thank you all again!

Dez
01-16-2013, 02:42 PM
My tank is built into the wall of our living room so I know that no matter what it's a part of my house so I have to keep up the maintenance on it. It's 3.5 years old and I don't do too much to it. For the past couple of years it's just water changes every couple of weeks. I make sure to magnet the glass every few days so that the glass algae never "builds" up. It's worth it and doesn't have to take a lot of time. I have 2 young kids and other hobbies too, so life is always busy and the tank doesn't impede.

ChizerBunoi
01-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Downsizing to only one tank and making maintenance a breeze. Also taking a vacation away from Canreef helps.

Leah
01-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Stupidity!

kien
01-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Money.

riceboy
01-16-2013, 03:18 PM
trust me i have been there multiple times in the last 2 years, weither its the dreaded marine velvet ( happened twice) and a total tank crash from not maintaining it (busy with work and never home), constant bickering from my mom that the tank looks bad and i'm wasting my money.....etc. I was pretty much ready to throw in the towel and wait until i moved out of my parents place to restart.

Well once construction season came to a hault and I wasn't in the field or doing 12 hrs a day, I had realized how relaxing this hobby could be just by staring at my tank with the fish swimming around and the couple of mushrooms and toadstool swaying back and forth from the wave. My stress would just melt away. After this realization I was hooked again, and viewed this as a new build with upgrading my existing equipment, and finally getting rid of my aiptasia problem and recycling my tank again. (i should of taken all the sand out at that time as i suffered a little crash from syphoning the sand later and having my po4 spike thats another story :mad2:). Now I can change the rock scape to what i want it to look like from other inspiring tanks, and i'm working on getting my tank to be as little maintenance as possible and having things automated so i can enjoy the relaxing and soothing aspect of the hobby.

riceboy
01-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Money.

very good reason to. to much invested in all the equipment and fish to let it go to a waste lol, and people on this forum are great to talk to and give you guidance so hopefully you don't experience another crash again.

kien
01-16-2013, 03:28 PM
very good reason to. to much invested in all the equipment and fish to let it go to a waste lol, and people on this forum are great to talk to and give you guidance so hopefully you don't experience another crash again.

that's one way of looking at it.. i was reading the question a little differently, like, how are you able to keep going in this hobby??? Well, without money you're hooped.. LOL.

riceboy
01-16-2013, 03:33 PM
that's one way of looking at it.. i was reading the question a little differently, like, how are you able to keep going in this hobby??? Well, without money you're hooped.. LOL.

:lol: very true

Reef Pilot
01-16-2013, 03:36 PM
I think what has kept me going is one step at a time. I have made some mistakes in the past, and needed to understand and fix those. But so far, have not had any major disasters or crashes. I am trying to prepare for that possibility, but of course hope it never happens.

I feel that I am progressing now, and just recently started adding SPS to my main DT. Still looks pretty bare, but am resisting the temptation to load up.

My biggest fear is going away on trips for any length of time. I have automated quite a bit, which is good and bad. Good that it takes cares of a lot of things, but bad in that not sure if anyone else could figure it out in my absence.

But I still love the challenge, and am happy with the wins so far, and will keep pushing forward slowly. My thanks to the many beautiful FTS pics I've seen here. They are my inspiration to where I want to go with my tanks.

kien
01-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Ultimately I think what has helped me is/was simplifying and automating my setup. Granted, everyone has their own interpretation of what's "simple" but for me simple is not having to do anything on a daily basis. When I first started this tank I was all gung-ho and dumping in all sorts of ZeoVit stuff and manually adding additives (alk/calc). This wore me down because there are a crap load of other things that need my attention. Eventually I got a doser for my additives and I stopped using those zeovit bottles. Keep in mind that I am in no way saying that ZeoVit doesn't work! It does, I'm just too lazy for it. Got an autofeeder for my fish. For nutrient control I use bioPellets because to me they are the easiest to use. Dump a bunch of pellets into a reactor and let it tumble for months. I don't touch that pellet reactor for probably 6-8 months.

Now a days I can easily go 3-4 days without even touching my tank for any reason whatsoever.

Mind you, all that automation costs money, so I'm back to my original answer I guess. :lol: :cry:

Parker
01-16-2013, 04:07 PM
The only thing keeping me going at this point is I don't have the time to take it down...

Coleus
01-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Ultimately I think what has helped me is/was simplifying and automating my setup. Granted, everyone has their own interpretation of what's "simple" but for me simple is not having to do anything on a daily basis. When I first started this tank I was all gung-ho and dumping in all sorts of ZeoVit stuff and manually adding additives (alk/calc). This wore me down because there are a crap load of other things that need my attention. Eventually I got a doser for my additives and I stopped using those zeovit bottles. Keep in mind that I am in no way saying that ZeoVit doesn't work! It does, I'm just too lazy for it. Got an autofeeder for my fish. For nutrient control I use bioPellets because to me they are the easiest to use. Dump a bunch of pellets into a reactor and let it tumble for months. I don't touch that pellet reactor for probably 6-8 months.

Now a days I can easily go 3-4 days without even touching my tank for any reason whatsoever.

Mind you, all that automation costs money, so I'm back to my original answer I guess. :lol: :cry:

+1, simplicity, automation and patience (introduce fish or coral not too fast) is the key for this hobby. I only look at my tank when i feel stressful these days and cleaning the tank only one weekend for 1 or 2 hour to helps me forget about my daily problem with works , kids...

If you have to pay attention to your tank every day, then that amount of works will take away the fun of having the tank. It now becomes works not hobby.

I suggest you stepped back and have FOWLR tank to reduce the works that you have to put into your tank. You can go without water change for like couple weeks easily or throw in some hardy softies coral like GSP, muhsroom, leather coral.

Good luck with whatever you decide :-)

ALSO- I found it weird that people never mentioned about controller when setting up tank, only talk about awesome skimmer or lightning. True that you need good skimmer and lightning but controller is as important in this hobby IMO, it reduces lots of works and peace of mind when you are away from your tank which makes this hobby more enjoyable and last longer. There is no fun in it if it is not enjoyable right???? hmmm talking my self into hurry up finish my new tank so i can enjoy it. LOL

Coralgurl
02-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Well I've been back for a week now and finally in the mood to tackle my tanks. My 55 is having a meltdown, literally, so I'm going to another large water change today, get the skimmer I bought months ago up and running, scrape it and remove all that's died. It's very green at the moment and likely going to need a few wc over the next bit. I'm also testing all my parameters as I haven't done this in ages.

The ato on my 180 crapped out again right before we got back, thankfully Mattjolly took a call from my daughter at 1:30 in the morning and helped get it sorted out.

I'm going to stick with very simple for the next while, easy corals, easy fish. I have a controller and all that's hooked up to it are my heaters. I want to get this figured out so it makes it worth the money having one.

I feel much better after our vacation, I was so overwhelmed with work and the holidays and just life in general, I can't believe the difference it's made!

I don't want to give up either tank, both are unique to me, the 180 is a year old in a couple of weeks, the 55 will be 3 in march.

Again, I appreciate the encouragement and advice, hopefully it was just a small slump.

Now to the tanks!

Ken
02-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Coralgural : What keeps me going? I have been in aquariums since 1970, I seen many hobbyist give up on it for many reasons as discussed here. For me, I don't regard it as a hobby, it is a lifestyle that I chosed that interested me when I was younger, it was part of my life, just like a family, you don't choose to abandon your family when things get tough, you find a way to make things work, people complain that things get too much work or hard to deal with, then downsize, go to one smaller tank, you don't need a huge tank to be sucessfull, you need to find a comfortable size that you can intergrate with everything that goes with your life. Keep away from difficult corals if you can't meet their demands, you will be more rewarded with keeping it simple, I hear people alot that can't seem to get their tank functioning and that lead to a lot of frustration, to the point of shutting it down, I encourage them to stick with it, whatever I can help, I will help them, a lot of Canreef hobbyist here in your area should be more than happy to lend a hand, I personally have 12 functioning saltwater aquarium operating in my fishroom, they are not a burden to me, they are part of my life, but does that mean I don't have any other life, not really, I enjoy the maintainence just as much as spending time in the fish room with a cup of tea with friends, family or just myself enjoying the aquariums. I,m sadden to hear you speak of your frustration, cheer up, don't give up. keep it simple, downsize, let it become part of your life and not so much as a hobby. I love this, and will never give it up. I hope this will encourage you, and I also know that many Canreef fans will support you as well. Regards Ken

Reef_Geek
02-03-2013, 08:04 PM
I don't know how else to describe it...

I try to care a little less when crap happens.

When things go awry, I recognize whatever happens, I think of the two extremes- worse case scenario and the best fix, and decide in terms of cost and effort... I don't care that much but will do a little... so I'll settle for a middle outcome.

If I try to solve every problem with best available solution, scraping away every last bit of algae on the glass, killing every last aiptasia, worry about random coral deaths... I'd burn out and lose patience and not have time for everything else in my life. It's supposed to be fun, a small part of my life, but it's not my life.

Dearth
02-03-2013, 10:59 PM
In my short time of reef keeping I've run through the gamut of emotions with my tank made lots of mistakes unintentionally tried to kill a coral and had a partial tank crash which truly depressed me. I would like to upgrade but my 33 gallon is already a time sink and a bigger one might drive me batty.

On the other hand I can sit in front of my tank for hours and just watch the coral/fish/crab and snails interact and it calms me my cats will also sit there for hours on end and watch the smorgasbord of food swim around. My nieces love my tank and those that come over love it as well. The cost is minimal now that my tank is established and all those little idosyncratices keep me going take the good with the bad.

On a side note thank the maker that our only SW LFS is so crappy cause I could literally spend tons in a store. It's easier to control my urges since I have to order everything in tempers my spending a lot.

SanguinesDream
02-05-2013, 06:57 PM
What keeps me going???

My health.

This is my therapy. My sanctuary. Sometimes the only thing that keep me going.

Instead of dreading trips to Vancouver or Edmonton, I just think of all the opportunities I will have to bring back new livestock. :mrgreen: I'd much rather read about each corals needs and how to achieve those requirement as opposed to the latest scholarly paper in gene therapy any day. Plus, I get to garden year round. Being so far north, our gardening season is so short and bittersweet. But with aquariums, particularly saltwater, I can "garden" year round.

But on the downside, there is the being gone from month to month that constantly worries me because of the failure to maintain them properly by the designate house sitters. Mind you, when I come back, getting my tanks back into shape keeps me going steady for at least two weeks, so I guess that can be construed as a blessing too? :neutral:

Corlgurl, rediscover what ignited your passion and get over the momentum hump. It sounds like you are well on your way to getting back into the groove and with a supporting group like Canreef, you can't go wrong.

asylumdown
02-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Figuring something out, and solving problems successfully keeps me going.

Watching SPS frags start to plate, change colour, and then start to grow keeps me going.

Looking at photos I've taken along the way and seeing how much things have advanced and matured keeps me going.

Turning a couple of empty glass boxes in to a fully functioning ecological system keeps me going

Watching how the dead, largely sterile, blindingly white marco rocks That formed the base of my system have been slowly brought to life over months of being in the same water with a relatively small amount of high quality live rock keeps me going.

Zoaelite
02-06-2013, 07:20 PM
1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione 3,7-dihydro-1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione keeps me going :neutral:.

reefwars
02-06-2013, 07:46 PM
1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6(3H,7H)-dione 3,7-dihydro-1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione keeps me going :neutral:.

dont you need a prescription for that lol

Zoaelite
02-06-2013, 07:49 PM
No I consider Tim Horton's & Starbucks to be subvert drug dealers.

untamed
02-07-2013, 03:33 AM
It is sort of like trying change your mind after jumping from the plane... Quitting is not an option!

Aquattro
02-07-2013, 03:38 AM
No I consider Tim Horton's & Starbucks to be subvert drug dealers.

with my annual sbux bill, I could spend a couple weeks in Mexico :(

Coralgurl
02-07-2013, 04:03 AM
with my annual sbux bill, I could spend a couple weeks in Mexico :(

I just got a prescription for champix to quit smoking! Won't start until I finish my 2 cartons I bought duty free though:mrgreen: then I'll be able to go back to Belize with all the money I save :lol:

Cal_stir
02-07-2013, 12:01 PM
I quit with Champix, It was the easiest time I ever quit, had no desire to smoke but you have to break the physical act of smoking, keep your hands busy, they aren't kidding about the dreams, they are vivid and seem real, hopefully you dream of Belize. The money drawer fills up fast.
I quit 3 years ago January and don't miss it one bit, wife still smokes which makes me sick, what a disgusting habit, I'll keep working on her.

Good Luck

ensquire
02-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Good Luck, 5 years for me now. Champix does the job if your serious . And as stated above the dreams are unreal. I only used the prescription for 3 weeks as things started getting weird. Haven't had one thought of having a smoke ever again in my life.
I just got a prescription for champix to quit smoking! Won't start until I finish my 2 cartons I bought duty free though:mrgreen: then I'll be able to go back to Belize with all the money I save :lol:

Coralgurl
04-11-2014, 12:40 AM
Standing on the ledge debating shutting down. Sat in front of my tank for an hour writing a sale thread and cried the entire time. There's nothing wrong with my tank other than lack of maintenance. Cyano bloom went away when I stopped feeding pellets, corals are growing (my rbta is at least a foot wide at its base, then another 6-8 in with it's tentacles flowing).

So overwhelmed with so many things and pulled in every direction. This should be a source of stress relief, instead its just one more thing to find time to deal with. I'm whining, I know, and I know there's been good responses in this thread already. I know an option is sell off live stock and restart down the road. I just need to vent.

jorjef
04-11-2014, 12:46 AM
Some many more things more important than a glass box full of water. If there is no measurable benefit to you shut it down.

mseepman
04-11-2014, 12:49 AM
Although it does take time to keep it maintained...every time I get frustrated I think about how I want it to look and how my kids enjoy looking at it every morning when they wake up. Keeps me motivated!

brotherd
04-11-2014, 01:14 AM
Vent away. Whatever you decide will be right for you:)

kien
04-11-2014, 01:49 AM
Sounds like you could use some beer and wings. Who's with me ?

Aquattro
04-11-2014, 01:54 AM
Sounds like you could use some beer and wings. Who's with me ?

I'm in. your pub or mine?

Coralgurl
04-11-2014, 02:02 AM
Vodka and wings and I'm in! You organizing Kien?? Brad, you should come out this way!

SmallFry
04-11-2014, 02:05 AM
Standing on the ledge debating shutting down. Sat in front of my tank for an hour writing a sale thread and cried the entire time. There's nothing wrong with my tank other than lack of maintenance. Cyano bloom went away when I stopped feeding pellets, corals are growing (my rbta is at least a foot wide at its base, then another 6-8 in with it's tentacles flowing).

So overwhelmed with so many things and pulled in every direction. This should be a source of stress relief, instead its just one more thing to find time to deal with. I'm whining, I know, and I know there's been good responses in this thread already. I know an option is sell off live stock and restart down the road. I just need to vent.

In the glacial-paced build of my tank I've had a fair few misadventures, and they can be soul destroying. There are times like many others I've really wanted to throw in the towel - at one point I couldn't get GSP to grow..
After I had an attack of random in-tank deaths (particularly new additions), I stopped adding things and I'm now back to the old guard of livestock that seem pretty much invincible. I'm finding that if I don't push the envelope the maintenance isn't too bad - water changes and adding some baking soda is about it apart from feeding the fish and rounding up the frags the urchin 'relocates'.
Most of the stuff in my tank is pretty mundane, but I'm finding that watching mundane grow is very satisfying..I have simplified not by automating things, but by reducing the number of things I have to do..
I guess what I'm saying is I've learned there are some awesome tanks you see on here and they can be truly inspiring, but I have to temper that with an acceptance that I don't have the time, and something simpler that I don't spend all the time worrying about is actually relaxing, instead of being a millstone around my neck.

Try to relax a bit (easy to say I know) - the less you worry about the maintenance the less of a chore it seems...

And if you start to feel bad, just take a look at my build thread and see how damned long it's taken me to get to the pitiful stage I'm at! :lol:

Aquattro
04-11-2014, 02:06 AM
Vodka and wings and I'm in! You organizing Kien?? Brad, you should come out this way!

I'll be at the airport May 8 for about an hour, we could do some quick shots?? :)

Coralgurl
04-11-2014, 03:41 AM
In the glacial-paced build of my tank I've had a fair few misadventures, and they can be soul destroying. There are times like many others I've really wanted to throw in the towel - at one point I couldn't get GSP to grow..
After I had an attack of random in-tank deaths (particularly new additions), I stopped adding things and I'm now back to the old guard of livestock that seem pretty much invincible. I'm finding that if I don't push the envelope the maintenance isn't too bad - water changes and adding some baking soda is about it apart from feeding the fish and rounding up the frags the urchin 'relocates'.
Most of the stuff in my tank is pretty mundane, but I'm finding that watching mundane grow is very satisfying..I have simplified not by automating things, but by reducing the number of things I have to do..
I guess what I'm saying is I've learned there are some awesome tanks you see on here and they can be truly inspiring, but I have to temper that with an acceptance that I don't have the time, and something simpler that I don't sMpend all the time worrying about is actually relaxing, instead of being a millstone around my neck.

Try to relax a bit (easy to say I know) - the less you worry about the maintenance the less of a chore it seems...

And if you start to feel bad, just take a look at my build thread and see how damned long it's taken me to get to the pitiful stage I'm at! :lol:

My tank is the same as yours, I don't really add new livestock, at least what I have is doing well enough. There's a couple bits I need to pick up that will make maintenance easy, but procrastinating as I'm not sure it's fair to what I have to continue....

My it's just spring fever, lack of a winter holiday, not for lack of opportunities to go, just no time to squeeze it in.

Maybe drinks with other reefers will help....where did Kien go??

Brad, we would either need to go through security, or you'd need to duck out....

kien
04-11-2014, 03:44 AM
Yes, I will organize something. Give me some dates that work for you. We will work around your schedule :-)

Coralgurl
04-11-2014, 03:48 AM
You're the best Kien. Anytime between now and may long, except this Saturday...after may long, mid September works.

Aquattro
04-11-2014, 04:26 AM
Brad, we would either need to go through security, or you'd need to duck out....

I do have some experience with bypassing security :)

kien
04-11-2014, 04:26 AM
You're the best Kien. Anytime between now and may long, except this Saturday...after may long, mid September works.

Looking at my calendar, how does next weekend sound ? Afternoon sat or sun. It's Easter long weekend btw.

kien
04-11-2014, 04:28 AM
I do have some experience with bypassing security :)

Is christy going to be with you? Would love to chat with her again! What time wil you guys be through ?

Aquattro
04-11-2014, 04:38 AM
Is christy going to be with you? Would love to chat with her again! What time wil you guys be through ?

No, solo trip this time. Heading to Cabo for the week.

kien
04-11-2014, 04:47 AM

Well, I suppose you will have to do then. Depending on what time you're in and if you think you actually have time to duck out.. Let me know :)

Aquattro
04-11-2014, 05:00 AM
Well, I suppose you will have to do then. Depending on what time you're in and if you think you actually have time to duck out.. Let me know :)

lol. I'll check my flight times, not sure how long I have.

Dearth
04-11-2014, 06:53 AM
I all but ignored my tank for just over a month recently went through some family issues with my nieces moving away to Cowtown all I did was feed and I think I did one water change and scraped the glass 3 or 4 times I really let the tank go for awhile got off the depression wagon last week and found out instead of my tank going down the tubes it had become quite the brothel had so many new additions to the tank.

This afternoon I had my neighbours kids and their friends over looking at my tank I was fascinated by how much those kids were excited with my tank and the wide eyed wonder they had when I let them feel some of my coral and let them pick some empty shells from my tank that just literally made their day.

For me my tank is my personal joy, stress reliever, constant frustration and worry and never ending wonderment. Why do I stay in the hobby? I stay because it keeps me busy and I enjoy the pleasure it brings despite the difficulties and if I perchance I crash my tank I look at it as a new chance to redo some things I want to do now I know more.

The Guy
04-11-2014, 08:15 AM
I was getting to feel like I was too tied down and so I decided to shut down my frag tank and only look after and enjoy my 90 Gallon reef tank. After trying fragging I decided I was not very good at it and didn't like messing up the corals in the 90 G scape.
I often sit in front the tank and just watch all the different things that go on, which I enjoy a lot. So sit back and take the time to admire what you have and keep your tank going. :bounce:

IanWR
04-11-2014, 11:41 AM
When I hear you talking about your mixed emotions about shutting down your tank, I couldn't help but think about pre-breakup thoughts, especially in a long term relationship. Feelings of being stuck, resenting and procrastinating some basic interactions, guilt and sorrow at even contemplating leaving, etc.. Ideally you should love what you do with your time. People rarely get to have that with work, but our personal relationships and our hobbies can and should be uplifting and supportive not a source of angst and a drain on our emotions and our energy.

If we were talking about a relationship, you would have been dating a guy for 3 years but considering breaking up for more than a year. It can be hard to break up, especially if the other party is not a jerk. They've done nothing wrong, nothing much has changed, but you just aren't feeling it like you used to. Well all the new outfits, weekend getaways, special dinners, and whatever else you can think of to rekindle the flame aren't likely to fix it. Sometimes the best for both parties is a clean break, even if it is very painful in the short run.

The good news is we aren't talking about another human, we are talking about a hobby. You can chose to shut down your tank and put it in storage and see if you get the urge to restart. If that hasn't happened in a year or 2, then you can sell off everything and move on. But don't keep throwing time and money at something that is adding stress to your life. Much as it can feel like it at times, keeping saltwater aquaria is not a religion, a way of life, a marriage - it is a hobby. Don't make it more (or less) than it is. As one human to another, I want for you to be happy. If keeping your tank can make you happy, great! If not, stop it and find something that does. :)

- Ian

MMAX
04-11-2014, 12:12 PM
Sounds like me in the summer time. I always take a break from this site and my tank when the weather turns nice. I got real bad last year, so bad I hadn't scraped the glass in a couple of months. When I did, my fish were so scared cause they hadn't seen my in a long ass time. The amazing thing was I run almost a strictly sps tank. When the glass was clean, I couldn't believe the growth of some of them. They were massive. I don't know if I just got lucky or if they needed to go through that.

Dez
04-11-2014, 12:23 PM

Weren't you just in Cabo last year? What a life!

Dez
04-11-2014, 12:35 PM
For our family, we are kinda stuck with the tank. It's built right into the wall. It's not hidden in the basement so I can't neglect it. I like having it in my living room because it forces me to clean the glass every 3 days. I catch my kids pausing what they are doing while playing or reading to take time to stare at the tank. Last night my wife was out and I just sat on the couch with a drink and stared at the tank. I don't think I could ever have a tank in the basement where I don't spend much time (even though our basement is finished). I enjoy having the tank viewable from where we have dinner, from where we work on the computer, from the kitchen, the backyard, the front yard and the front door. I think having it that central in the house keeps me "trying" to make it look spic and span all the time.

Reef Pilot
04-11-2014, 01:44 PM
I think it depends, too, if you view your tank as a just another decoration, or as a living, changing, surprising instrument of wonderment...

Haha,... just thought of what I should call my next tank journal...

StirCrazy
04-11-2014, 01:49 PM
this hobby is like any other one, some times you get in to it and the novelty wears off, sometimes it becomes a life long passion. and like other hobbies, people stay in for varying lengths of time. 1 to 3 years is what I call the hobby honeymoon, everything is great, then one day you start wondering if this is what you really want. some hobbies are transient some are life long and about this time, this is what your struggling to figure out. for some people it is the amount of work, some go to big to fast, some just lose interest. my self, I am currently on a break after running at tank for 9 years. when I get this new one going it will be 1/3 the side to reduce the amount of time spend cleaning the tank in order to give me more time just to enjoy the tank.

Steve

mike31154
04-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Tony Robbins, yeah. I didn't think this dude was still around! Nothing like a little Tony to get your mojo/motivation into high gear. After his seminar, you'll have the Tank of the Month in no time. You may even want to open as an LFS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWU6xQ5RY2g

Seriously though, I've lost a few fish & have had plenty of challenges over the years with my tank. I still feel it's very much worth the effort. If you honestly can't muster sufficient desire to keep yours going, you're the best person to make whatever decision as to how to proceed.

Coralgurl
04-11-2014, 06:07 PM
This forum has such amazing members!

I had a chat with my fiancé last night about where things are at and what is going on and he feels right now is such a short term issue, we just need to get through the next few months and things "should" go back to normal.

The tank doesn't wear on me, its just finding the time to deal with it. It only stresses me out because I feel like its not getting enough attention, therefore I am creating a poor habitat for the livestock. Operationally, its fine, not great, not bad.

I like the relationship analogy....yes, some are in for the long haul, for some its a novelty and get bored and move on to something else. While my passion will never turn me into a LFS employee or owner, I like the challenge and sense of accomplishment it brings. I will try to get through the next few months and wait until the fall to decide what to do, when the pressure is off and life goes back to normal....

kien
04-11-2014, 07:32 PM
So, how does next weekend sound? :-)

Coralgurl
04-11-2014, 07:46 PM
So, how does next weekend sound? :-)

Sure, let's do it! Might be hard to get others out tho given its a holiday weekend.... but whatever.....a few hours should be ok. Might also be worth looking at weeknight...

Cujo#31
04-12-2014, 04:44 AM
My challenge has always been I'm impatient and set goals too lofty for "realty" and I bore easily, aside from that I am guilty of adding piecs that maybe the tank want mature enugh for, trying to do too much in too short a time, juggling family and work......the list goes on. Iawas seriously going to shut er down not too long ago. Then I slapped myself, and "re-tooled" my tank with stuff that allowed me to treat it more like a hobby than a job. Now I love it again! I found my groove.
In a few years when the immediate demands of my kids diminishes I will be able to take the hobby to where most of us want to go......full blown kick-ass SPS.
Best of luck, and I agree 100%, this site is full of awesome people.

Parker
04-14-2014, 08:00 PM
I had mine set up pretty well in that for the most part it took care of it. I only ran into real issues when I had some equipment failures that weren't immediately noticed. I had a ballast go bad and shut down a GFCI that also had a heater on that leg, so I lost a bunch of crap when the tank temps dropped, rodi failure etc. Without equipment failures it might still be up.

I guess the point is, automation might be the key to some people success and enjoyment.

Coleus
04-14-2014, 08:04 PM
I had mine set up pretty well in that for the most part it took care of it. I only ran into real issues when I had some equipment failures that weren't immediately noticed. I had a ballast go bad and shut down a GFCI that also had a heater on that leg, so I lost a bunch of crap when the tank temps dropped, rodi failure etc. Without equipment failures it might still be up.

I guess the point is, automation might be the key to some people success and enjoyment.

I agree, AUTOMATION + PATIENCE = key for enjoyment this hobby

Seriak
04-14-2014, 08:11 PM
KIEN!!

Yes you read it right. KIEN keeps me going. The day he shuts down his tank is the day I am finished. :)

kien
04-15-2014, 01:02 PM
KIEN!!

Yes you read it right. KIEN keeps me going. The day he shuts down his tank is the day I am finished. :)

:lol: funny :-)

also, come to the reefmeat brah!

Madreefer
04-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Cleaning skimmer, doing water changes, feeding etc...... it's all starting to become a PIA for me now. I'm not having any issues at all but i've lost alot of interest in this hobby as well. I thought a new tank build would spark my interest but nahh, did'nt help.

kien
04-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Cleaning skimmer, doing water changes, feeding etc...... it's all starting to become a PIA for me now. I'm not having any issues at all but i've lost alot of interest in this hobby as well. I thought a new tank build would spark my interest but nahh, did'nt help.

No doubt about it, reefing can be a major chore..

Dearth
04-20-2014, 12:07 AM
I know I've posted it before about why I stay in the hobby but.....

My neighbours and their kids came over today to look at my tank it wasn't very pretty to look at scummy glass and water stains on the outside. They came over for a quick look they ended up leaving close to an hour later as everybody was fascinated by my coral and the fish and the various inverts. The highlight of their time was everybody got to feel a real live coral those kids eyes just lit up something fierce and they were ecstatic that they got to have their very own snail shell. It makes all the difference in the world to see people fascinated by a miniature ecosystem

brotherd
04-20-2014, 12:31 AM
Yep the kids do love the aquarium. They don't know what you want it to look like, they like it at face value.

kien
04-20-2014, 04:50 AM
Yep the kids do love the aquarium. They don't know what you want it to look like, they like it at face value.

That's so true. We spend so much time fussing over this and stressing over that.. meanwhile, when our guests come by they appreciate the tank for what it is more so than we tend to. Most of the time we are concerned about what it isn't.. :neutral:

Coralgurl
04-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Well Kien saved the day! Amazing how a reef meet to share ideas can turn things around.

I bought a mag 24 pump a while ago to pump water from the basement to the tank on the main floor but hadn't set it up. Wasn't sure how to control turning it on and off. Would I need to run an extra electrical switch at the tank, keep an eye on it, then run downstairs to turn it off.....nope. Kien suggested a light timer remote control.

Got it all set up today and I am officially done with buckets for both top off and water changes. Total plumbing bits, new membranes and controller cost $60.

So it's official, Kien is the man!!

Coralgurl
11-12-2014, 04:46 PM
My much neglected tank finally received some TLC with a water change, new carbon & GFO and skimmer maintenance. I can actually see through the glass again as I spent some time scraping the algae off. Fish seem to be showing signs of improvement, have not seen any worms in them since treating with Seachems worm meds. I have ordered some levamosoli from the US to have on hand.

I have lost a ton of fish this year, currently down to 12. I do not have any issues with algae, but I have quite the aiptasia farm going, the buggers are EVERYWHERE - currently looking for a fish to devour the ones in the DT.

I have not tinkered with anything equipment wise and thankfully with the decreased bioload, the tank was able to sustain itself with the reduced filtration, lack of water changes - my skimmer keeps overfilling and overflowing and not sure what is causing this, but I've had it off for well over a month. Turned it back on yesterday and its still doing it, just letting it run for now.

I have not lost any corals, but honestly only have mostly softies. My GSP wall is ridiculous and now covers 3/4 of the back of the tank, but has also been devouring available rock space. I have 4 nems in the tank - my big RBTA split into 3, so I have large, med and small clones. You would think with 4 nems, my 3 clowns would be settled, but no, the Clarkii female claims the 3, the male clarkii gets the other RBTA, so my little b&w clown sneaks in wherever he can.

And my clam is the one coral that surprises me. It's still growing, seems to have moved slightly, but overall very healthy. I've had this guy for 3 years.

I'm still trying to find my groove and motivation with keeping the tank going, but still don't have the heart to shut it down. This year was insanely busy through the summer and things are now changing work wise that will have me taking courses for the next year. If I can get through the next 12 months with the tank, I think things will be golden.

kien
11-12-2014, 06:38 PM
What keeps me going is hearing you persevere through your tank issues :-). Keep on reefing on!

Skimmerking
11-13-2014, 04:49 PM
There is nothing sexier and appealing then having a misses, wife , spouse , girlfriend, or know of someone who is a female and a reefer. KEEP IT UP..