PDA

View Full Version : Toy for a trigger???

fishoholic
01-15-2013, 04:53 AM
So for some reason my trigger enjoys taking the plastic protective ring on the bottom of my powerhead off :twised: literally pulls the koralia 4 off the glass away from the magnet then pulls the bottom round plastic part off to play with.

My Mom came over and saw this and told me that (and she was being serious) I need to get a plastic toy for my poor fish to play with :lol: ya right I'm thinking. Then Doug makes a joke about getting him a kong toy :lol:

Of course now I'm sitting here (and I've fished the plastic ring out of the tank for the third time tonight) wondering if maybe they are right???! :noidea:

The trigger has a piece of rock he usually plays with but it seems he's bored with it now, can't help but wonder if he would play with a kong, also not sure if a smaller kong would sink or float. Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?

The Grizz
01-15-2013, 04:59 AM
How about a round teething ring?

ScubaSteve
01-15-2013, 05:13 AM
Really, I see no harm in trying. I actually watched a whole documentary the other night about 'enhancement crews' that work in zoos that go around and make enhancements to the habitats to combat boredom. One of the points I remember someone saying was keeping an animal in captivity is 25% biology, 75% psychology. One of the biggest challenges is mental health. I don't see why this would not apply to fish, especially the more clever ones like triggers.

The biggest thing to make sure of is that whatever you put in there is aquarium safe. You might have to try a few objects to find the ones he likes best but this could be a fun experiment. Try things that look like objects they're more familiar with (rocks, etc) and try some on the total opposite end of the scale that are bright, crazy objects. See what he goes for.

fishoholic
01-15-2013, 05:21 AM
How about a round teething ring?

As long as its not filled with anything that might be an idea.

Really, I see no harm in trying. I actually watched a whole documentary the other night about 'enhancement crews' that work in zoos that go around and make enhancements to the habitats to combat boredom. One of the points I remember someone saying was keeping an animal in captivity is 25% biology, 75% psychology. One of the biggest challenges is mental health. I don't see why this would not apply to fish, especially the more clever ones like triggers.

The biggest thing to make sure of is that whatever you put in there is aquarium safe. You might have to try a few objects to find the ones he likes best but this could be a fun experiment. Try things that look like objects they're more familiar with (rocks, etc) and try some on the total opposite end of the scale that are bright, crazy objects. See what he goes for.

Makes sense and it would be interesting to see what preferences he has.

ScubaSteve
01-15-2013, 05:40 AM
If he's anything like the triggers I've be diving with he would really like my diving fins :razz:

hillegom
01-15-2013, 05:47 PM
I have seen small diving fins on someones keychain. lol

Madreefer
01-15-2013, 09:26 PM
When I hade a FOWL aggresive tank i'd put a ping pong ball in for my trigger. At the time I had a glass cover and it got a little noisy though. He loved it.

fishoholic
01-15-2013, 11:39 PM
If he's anything like the triggers I've be diving with he would really like my diving fins :razz:

:lol:

When I hade a FOWL aggresive tank i'd put a ping pong ball in for my trigger. At the time I had a glass cover and it got a little noisy though. He loved it.

Cool

I was thinking about it and it seems he enjoys the process of taking the powerhead apart, more so then, he plays with the part he takes off. Maybe some sort of puzzle toy???

ScubaSteve
01-16-2013, 12:17 AM
Try doing what they do for octopus and put some food into a contain or sorts that he has to figure out how to open.

lockrookie
01-16-2013, 12:46 AM
I never thought of a toy for the trigger that makes spence I may have to Rey this as well

Lance
01-16-2013, 03:45 AM
My trigger likes to play with the snails in the tank; spits it into the current from the MP40's and then chases after it. I have tried to get this on video numerous times, but the little bugger won't cooperate.

fishoholic
01-16-2013, 03:52 AM
My trigger likes to play with the snails in the tank; spits it into the current from the MP40's and then chases after it. I have tried to get this on video numerous times, but the little bugger won't cooperate.

Just plays? My trigger eats them.