PDA

View Full Version : Reef transfer question?

SharkBait48
01-15-2013, 02:25 AM
Hey guys I have a brand new mint 75gal and I'm thinking instead of waiting and slowly adding stuff a my tank cycles. Could I just use another persons tank water rock(with planted corals) in my new tank.

Like a tank transfer from a cycled 120gal to a brand new 75 gal

FitoPharmer
01-16-2013, 03:10 AM
Yes you can. But there are several things to keep in mind. First off if it will all fit. Plumb and setup your 75G. Match the water parameters like SG, PH, and temperature of both systems as best you can. Then just transfer everything over as fast as you can. What will kill this process is if you bring or expose too much nutrients for the system to process, which is normally held in a ditritus loaded sand bed or from die off on the live rock during transfer. If live rock has a something like a large amount of oxygen sensitive sponges growing on it a transfer that exposes them to oxygen could lead to a later die off that pollutes your tank. Or if the rock simply gets to cold it can be very bad.

jtbadco
01-16-2013, 03:49 AM
here is how i did my transfer from a 65 gal to a 120.

First I drain and stored as much tank water as possible.

Then I removed all the corals and LR.

Then I removed all the fish and critters, transport in stored water

I then siphoned the sand out.

I did not transfer the old sand to the new tank. I got new sand. If you have the ability you can rinse off the old sand and reuse.

I set the LR and corals back up in the new location and added the old water, topping up the tank with fresh SW, tested param's, then added the fish.

I then added the new sand, 1 litre at a time, lowering it in jugs to the bottom of the tank and pouring it out.

Then restart your filters, skimmers, etc and voila.

SharkBait48
01-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Ya thanks guy!
My problem is that it might exposed to the cold as I am going to be driving back and forth to get my supplies from this other place.

It's an option to save time and get things going