PDA

View Full Version : How to make zoas happy?

carriej
01-14-2013, 11:25 PM
I got this nice little frag with some pretty zoas on it. Nothing special I don't think, I am just starting so I pick up the cheap ones.. lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/photo36.jpg

The have orange eyes with purple bodies and yellow fringey things. My lights do something weird to my camera and it is hard to get true colors.

This was it's first night in my tank, and I don't think it has opened that much since.

All my other corals are doing quite well. I have a duncan, frogspawn, xenia and a torch.

The zoa will open maybe halfway.. Then I look and it's totally closed. Then it's open again... Then closed. I'm not quite sure what is ticking it off, or why it doesn't want to open!

I want to move it..What would be the best way to go about getting them onto my rocks? Or should I just let them "travel?"

intarsiabox
01-14-2013, 11:38 PM
I got this nice little frag with some pretty zoas on it. Nothing special I don't think, I am just starting so I pick up the cheap ones.. lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/photo36.jpg

The have orange eyes with purple bodies and yellow fringey things. My lights do something weird to my camera and it is hard to get true colors.

This was it's first night in my tank, and I don't think it has opened that much since.

All my other corals are doing quite well. I have a duncan, frogspawn, xenia and a torch.

The zoa will open maybe halfway.. Then I look and it's totally closed. Then it's open again... Then closed. I'm not quite sure what is ticking it off, or why it doesn't want to open!

I want to move it..What would be the best way to go about getting them onto my rocks? Or should I just let them "travel?"

They don't travel, they just spread onto others rocks. A big dap of gel super glue works for me to place frags onto the rock work. It looks pretty healthy in the picture.

carriej
01-15-2013, 12:25 AM
That is what I meant by travel! Spread would have been a better word choice.

I have some coral glue.

intarsiabox
01-15-2013, 01:18 AM
I have some coral glue.

Should work just fine. None of zoas/palys have ever really seemed to care where they are placed in the tank. They may shut for the day when moved but then open again the next day. Just place them where they get lots of light and where you can a get a nice view of them!

carriej
01-15-2013, 01:39 AM
Sounds like a plan! Once I have a moment to get my hands in there I will do just that.

Are zoas toxic? I seem to recall reading they can emit some kind of toxin. I am immune compromised, I can't see this being a good thing. Will need to get some gloves.

11purewater
01-15-2013, 01:43 AM
Wear gloves,safety glasses when handling,and wash your hands again!Sorry don't mean to scare you ,this hobby is meant for your enjoyment but there can be risks to a few people.Hopefully you'll be fine with a salty tank and you'll find all the advice you'll need on this site!AND POST MORE PICS!We love pics!

intarsiabox
01-15-2013, 01:49 AM
Sounds like a plan! Once I have a moment to get my hands in there I will do just that.

Are zoas toxic? I seem to recall reading they can emit some kind of toxin. I am immune compromised, I can't see this being a good thing. Will need to get some gloves.

Better safe than sorry. I don't seem to have any reactions to corals but I'm not allergic to anything that I have ever come across either so I have no experience in zoa toxicity. It is probably a good habit to always wear gloves in the tank even if you're not touching corals anyways as it not only protects you but also the tank inhabitants from anything that may be on your skin.