PDA

View Full Version : $1200 for a blasto?!?! :O

mrhasan
01-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Well I came across this selling thread:

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/selling-forum-livestock/95684-8-polyp-original-uc-ironman-blastomussa.html

Seriously?! $1200 for blasto? :S

I am not familiar with "rare" and "highly sorted" stuffs but I thought rhizo corals were expensive but THIS!?!?!

This same guy is selling a bleeding apple rainbow acan for $1200

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/selling-forum-livestock/95421-8-9-polyp-ktar-bleeding-rainbow.html

Can someone please explain why these are so ridiculously priced?

Titus99 has tequila blastos and those are off the hook! Are those priced like this too? Or are these total ripoffs?

albert_dao
01-13-2013, 08:44 AM
The American frag market is retarded.

11purewater
01-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Don't you mean mentally challenged!:biggrin:

noirsphynx
01-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Looks very close to Titus99's Tequila Sunrise Blasto (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92374)

chef
01-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Late at night with a belly full of rum and staring at my reef with love,
I might pull the plug. Waking up in the morning hungover and forking
Over the loot, I'd re-evaluate my passion for the hobby.

Proteus
01-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Looks very close to Titus99's Tequila Sunrise Blasto (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92374)

Lol. I might be same. Looks like a photo shop

But I have a great deal on frags. 1199.00. Haha

Coralgurl
01-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Lol. I might be same. Looks like a photo shop

But I have a great deal on frags. 1199.00. Haha

You're sitting on gold!! Wonder if someone would actually pay that much?? Crazy

Proteus
01-13-2013, 03:56 PM
I did see them for $160 a head on us store site. Just rediculous. I got a decent frag for a third if that and already sold on frag of 4 heads for $40. I could never justify trying to charge more

Dawn how is the frag doing

toytech
01-13-2013, 05:17 PM
the price went down to only a grand , a real steal now .If someone dosent buy it soon i will .

Xadieu
01-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Imagine if you got it and lost it. There goes $1200, that's a down payment for a NEW CAR (Bob Barker voice).

Proteus
01-13-2013, 05:39 PM
I just realized its one adult and 7 babies. Wow.

mrhasan
01-13-2013, 06:41 PM
So I was right...its a total ripoff! I thought I was missing something!

I wonder why non of the reefers over there didn't flame even a bit. Atleast I know that no matter how much money I have, I won't be paying someone $1,200 who claims those to be "rare" and posts in a forum to sell.

Pan
01-13-2013, 06:56 PM
I've seen worse down there, much worse. There was a thread once comparing all of the frags to original for sale pics. they never ever looked like that again. But reefing is quite expensive so people try to make as much as they can. it happens in Canada from time to time.

michika
01-13-2013, 07:40 PM
I've seen worse down there, much worse. There was a thread once comparing all of the frags to original for sale pics. they never ever looked like that again. But reefing is quite expensive so people try to make as much as they can. it happens in Canada from time to time.

That sort of rampant "capitalism" makes me a bit sick to my stomach. Think of how many "rare" pieces never get shared around and then are completely lost in tank crashes, etc. only because someone didn't want to sell for a less then amazing price.

Think of how much more of a diversity might be readily available and easily accessible if parts of the hobby weren't so fixated on the financial perks. Yes, you do need to recoup your costs and make some profit, but it should be a realistic. By realistic I don't necessarily mean whatever the market with hold, I mean, realistic as in what is best for the coral and its future generations. I guess you could say I have an ethical hangup over the prices and trade practices of some people.

Pan
01-13-2013, 08:35 PM
That sort of rampant "capitalism" makes me a bit sick to my stomach. Think of how many "rare" pieces never get shared around and then are completely lost in tank crashes, etc. only because someone didn't want to sell for a less then amazing price.

Think of how much more of a diversity might be readily available and easily accessible if parts of the hobby weren't so fixated on the financial perks. Yes, you do need to recoup your costs and make some profit, but it should be a realistic. By realistic I don't necessarily mean whatever the market with hold, I mean, realistic as in what is best for the coral and its future generations. I guess you could say I have an ethical hangup over the prices and trade practices of some people.

I agree 100%. Thankfully this is somewhat limited in Canada even if it is due to the fact that we cannot get a quarter of what you can get in America. But i have a friend in Japan says it is worse over there....people buy whole colonies knowing they will die, but they will look good for a dinner party or something.

Hopefully this mindset never takes firm hold in Canada....

Xadieu
01-13-2013, 11:04 PM
I can guarantee that if such corals made to Canada same situation would happen. Our whole economy is built on capitalism and people are greedy that's just human nature. That's just my 2 cent.

Proteus
01-13-2013, 11:10 PM
I can guarantee that if such corals made to Canada same situation would happen. Our whole economy is built on capitalism and people are greedy that's just human nature. That's just my 2 cent.

Not true. I along with a handful of others here have this piece and a price like that's never been mentioned. I care more to spread the piece than money. If I sold you a frag for $40 a year down the road after my tank crashed I would hope to get a frag back at that price

saltcreep
01-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Maybe prices are too low in Canada...:wink:

mrhasan
01-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Maybe prices are too low in Canada...:wink:

Or maybe we just have generous reefers over here ;)

Pan
01-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Or maybe we just have generous reefers over here ;)

We just don't have the culture of excess that the Americans do, at least nowhere to the same degree.

noirsphynx
01-14-2013, 12:47 AM
I did see them for $160 a head on us store site. Just rediculous. I got a decent frag for a third if that and already sold on frag of 4 heads for $40. I could never justify trying to charge more

Dawn how is the frag doing

It's doing fantastic, TY again Nick.

If I sold you a frag for $40 a year down the road after my tank crashed I would hope to get a frag back at that price

I agree 100% I will share with some individuals who I know would share back. If I have something I love I'll gladly share just in case a crash ever happens to me, then I know I can eventually get a frag back.

Proteus
01-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Good. Just want to make sure they are good. My colony suffered a little and the second frag never made it. I dosed zeo's amino and it made a big difference

noirsphynx
01-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Good. Just want to make sure they are good. My colony suffered a little and the second frag never made it. I dosed zeo's amino and it made a big difference

Oh no, I hope they recover okay but if not I can frag as soon as these guys grow for me.

michika
01-14-2013, 03:36 PM

What kind of differences do you see with Zeo's aminos? Better colour, more robust polyp extension?

Proteus
01-14-2013, 03:39 PM
What kind of differences do you see with Zeo's aminos? Better colour, more robust polyp extension?

Color has been great and polyp extension is the most notable. Within minutes of dosing the polyps swell twice as much than without.

michika
01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Cool!

I used that stuff when it first came out with similar results. Good know it is still working well.

Thanks!

Xadieu
01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Color has been great and polyp extension is the most notable. Within minutes of dosing the polyps swell twice as much than without.

Amino is dosed everyday do you see the corals keep their tentacles extended through out the whole day Titus or just when you first dosed it?

Proteus
01-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Amino is dosed everyday do you see the corals keep their tentacles extended through out the whole day Titus or just when you first dosed it?

I dose it every other day and yes the polyps are out all day.