PDA

View Full Version : Emergency overflow chamber and algae

Coralgurl
01-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Ive got 2 corner overflows on my tank, one is my main, the other emergency. Looking after maintenance items today and notice the emergency side is really gross with a sludge like goop around the drain, which was set up a few millimeters too low so it does drain a bit. I've also got hair algae in there. My thoughts are that there's no algae issues in the tank so is it harmful and should I clean it all out or leave it? I've got cheato in my sump and notice hair algae growing on the cheato as well.

I haven't tested anything. I'll be doing a water change later today so if required can make sure I have enough water to deal with the clean up of above.

What do others do with a dual drain system as far as maintenance is concerned? I've never drained that side to clean it.

Thanks

Nano
01-12-2013, 08:08 PM
I only have one drain on my tank but I imagine you'd want to keep the emergency drain clear for when if ever it is needed.

lpsreefer
01-12-2013, 08:12 PM
i would leave it as the algae there is eating up any unwanted nutrients.
i would just clear a little bit around the pipe and leave the rest.
other things glow in the algae also. pods, snails, etc...

Coralgurl
01-13-2013, 03:08 PM
i would leave it as the algae there is eating up any unwanted nutrients.
i would just clear a little bit around the pipe and leave the rest.
other things glow in the algae also. pods, snails, etc...

Thanks. The drain isn't blocked, it just has stuff growing. I thought it wouldn't be bad as is it does keep things out of the dt. I'll tidy it up a bit.

Loads of snails in my sump, can't see much in the way of pods tho....

mark
01-13-2013, 03:24 PM
All I do with mine is every couple of waters change I'll usually siphon out the sludge. No algae as overflow sides are covered in dark acrylic and lights don't shine into them.

Coralgurl
01-13-2013, 03:43 PM
All I do with mine is every couple of waters change I'll usually siphon out the sludge. No algae as overflow sides are covered in dark acrylic and lights don't shine into them.

I did not think about covering from lights. :redface:

MMAX
01-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Mine has bubble algae in it. Every couple of weeks I'll shut off the gate valve and force all the water through the emergancy drain into the sump, put a bag over the pvc pipe and catch it that way.