PDA

View Full Version : 2 part doseing

fireguy98
01-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Just like the title says I am curious about what everyone uses for 2 part dosing . Currently I'm using seachem products for my calcium and my alk. I am happy with them but mixing bulk batches with this powder I'm not completely sure about yet. So just curious what do you all use.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

NIVLEM09
01-11-2013, 11:31 PM
I used ESV b-ionic for two years and loved the results but now i am using the Zeovit system:mrgreen:

Baldy
01-12-2013, 01:26 AM
I use BRS dry supplements for calc, alk, and mag. with an ebay dosing pump it works great for me.

Cal_stir
01-12-2013, 02:51 AM
I use baked 100% arm&hammer for alk, BRS calcium amd mag, bubble magus doser, follow Randys 2 part instructions, works great.

fireguy98
01-12-2013, 03:22 AM
Okay cool thanks

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Palmer
01-12-2013, 05:04 AM
I use Randy's two part as well. Have used it for 3 years with baking soda right out of the box and for calcium I use dow flake which is dirt cheap something like $25 for a 40 Ib bag. For mag I use epsom salts.

MMAX
01-12-2013, 02:17 PM
I use Randy's two part as well. Have used it for 3 years with baking soda right out of the box and for calcium I use dow flake which is dirt cheap something like $25 for a 40 Ib bag. For mag I use epsom salts.

Don't know if I'd trust the Dowflake, heard of some disasterous results using it. I use all pharmaceutical grade chemicals for dosing.

Reef Pilot
01-12-2013, 02:21 PM
For Ca, I dose SeaChem Advantage Calcium during the day. And for KH, I dose SeaChem Reef Buffer at night.

Baldy
01-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Don't know if I'd trust the Dowflake, heard of some disasterous results using it. I use all pharmaceutical grade chemicals for dosing.

Thats the reason i went with BRS stuff. its also cheap. For my 75 itll take me about 3 years to go through the half gallon containers of each, and i think theyre about $13 for each. even if i was keeping a lot of sps and had higher demand for each, id probably still be using it.

Whiston
01-12-2013, 02:59 PM

Not only is the dowflake possibly a concern, but exclusively using epsom salts for magnesium can lead to rapid sulphate imbalances. It is generally recommended to use a mix of epsom salts and magnesium chloride.

MMAX
01-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Not only is the dowflake possibly a concern, but exclusively using epsom salts for magnesium can lead to rapid sulphate imbalances. It is generally recommended to use a mix of epsom salts and magnesium chloride.

Yep, you need them both.

Palmer
01-12-2013, 04:26 PM

Initially there were concerns when they changed their formula but I checked into it years ago and I believe those concerns were primarily laid to rest. I have used it with great success and I am dosing heavy for SPS and have been for years now. Same with the epsom salts.

Palmer
01-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Yep, you need them both.

Why would you need both? Dont they disassociate into Mg, Cl, So4, either way? I think I have enough Cl ions in my NaCl?

MMAX
01-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Why would you need both? Dont they disassociate into Mg, Cl, So4, either way? I think I have enough Cl ions in my NaCl?

Just brushed up on my reading again on Randy Holmes-Farley's dosing methods. You could go either way with your Mg. Plain epsom salts (MgSO4) or both MgSO4 and MgCl2.