PDA

View Full Version : Carnation Question

somewherebeyondthesea
01-11-2013, 12:00 AM
I was wondering if anyone has Carnations (aka Dendronephthya) in their reef tanks? I've been looking at purchasing some for my soon to be seahorse tank. Research tells me that they are difficlut to grow.... any thoughts? experiences?

naesco
01-11-2013, 12:13 AM
I was wondering if anyone has Carnations (aka Dendronephthya) in their reef tanks? I've been looking at purchasing some for my soon to be seahorse tank. Research tells me that they are difficlut to grow.... any thoughts? experiences?

Like you I read all I could on them. You would have to provide so much phyto that there would always have a green tinge to it. If not they will starve to death.
One day scientists and experienced hobbyists who specialize may be able to find about there needs. In the meantime they should not be imported and reputable LFS do not bring them in

denny_CC
01-11-2013, 12:31 AM
i keep several carnations and they are all doing fine for months now , i run a continuous feed 24hrs a day and feed live phyto morning and night....fact is they are nps so need to be fed food in the microns and like alot of other nps corals if they use energy and do not recieve food they will be reluctent to come out again next time.

i start mine all upside down with lots of flow.

im not sure about long term success as this is my first year having success with difficult nps corals but so far so good.....ive killed many in previous years

one of my carnations i bought as a skin flap and is now about 5" tall

ive also got a blueberry gorg that has been doing great for a few months now and keeping a healthy stalk.

.....oh and my water is still clear:P

my advice is if you cant feed it 24hrs a day then dont bother , with feeding that much your gonna have to watch your water quality and obviously export whatever doesnt get used.

honestly most nps corals are very advanced and most people end up killing a beautiful piece:(

its a lot of work and dedication

good luck if you do!

cheers

denny:)