PDA

View Full Version : BATTERY BACK-UP

chromakey
01-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Good Day:

I have two small saltwater tanks and was thinking of adding an inverter and battery backup to power the heater and pump in event of a power outage.

I was wondering what other people are doing for a cost effective solution.

Thanks,
Michael

chevyjaxon
01-10-2013, 11:48 PM
room temperature tanks should be ok. however, you can get an emergency air stone power goes out air stone comes on!

makana
01-10-2013, 11:52 PM
I run a ups. It keeps the pumps and heater on. Not sure for how long but long enough for most outages.

Proteus
01-11-2013, 12:40 AM
I use a battery backup for mp10

Reef Pilot
01-11-2013, 01:10 AM
Every fall, I bring home our 2 Crappy Tire inverter batteries and RV battery (which connects to the inverters) from our lake cabin (charged by solar there in the summer). We live in Langley and our area is notorious for power outages during winter storms (usually in Nov and Dec, except this year).

We have had outages for more than 24 hours in the past, and this system has been enough to keep water pumps (on low power) in the display tank (100g) and a heater going without depleting the batteries. I have never suffered any tank losses with an outage. I now have another 135g downstairs, so will have an additional electrical load now.

I do shut down the sump, skimmer, reactors, etc. and I do have tank covers and canopies, so that helps keep the heat in.

I also have a 6000 Watt diesel generator on standby, but have never had to use it.

The inverter (Eliminator) batteries can be had for around $110 on a sale, and I got the RV battery for 60 bucks (cash) at Edmonds Battery. So it doesn't have to be expensive.

subman
01-11-2013, 01:29 AM
I use a couple computer ups like this one
www.costco.ca/APC%c2%ae-Back-UPS-Pro-1500-Battery-Backup.product.10353656.html

chromakey
01-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Good Day:

I live in Victoria, BC and I am more concerned with the outages during the "winter" months.

I would like to know how detrimental would it be if the water temp dropped below 60 Deg. F for 24 hours.

I was thinking of purchasing an inverter/charger system and two deep cycle batteries but the cost is about $700 and up.

Thanks,
Michael

tim the toolman
01-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Wal mart sells Hyundai generators for about 150$ for a 1300 watt job. They come ready to fire. Oil included just add gas. Runs everything you need for keeping the tank going and come in handy at other time too. Also you can run a few other household items at the same time. It was money well spent for me.
(and then just recently someone broke into me garage and stole it so I need to buy a new one lol)

Reef Pilot
01-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Good Day:

I was thinking of purchasing an inverter/charger system and two deep cycle batteries but the cost is about $700 and up.

Thanks,
Michael
You don't have to spend that much money. Look at two posts back.

The inverter (Eliminator) batteries can be had for around $110 on a sale, and I got the RV battery for 60 bucks (cash) at Edmonds Battery. So it doesn't have to be expensive.