PDA

View Full Version : Are you freaking kidding me!!!

e46er
01-10-2013, 11:34 PM
This is my rant

my day started out watching some old goof smash into my work truck he hit my steel bumper his truck is in rough shape now to fishtanks

So like 3 months ago my pumps started to hum figured they were dirty and needed a good cleaning the CL snapper was no problem its mounted on the side of the cabinet but the return snapper is mounted beside my sump and quite tight as I plywooded the inside of the cabinet as well to help with noise.

So reefing on the unions to crack loose i hear snap crack pop my sump spidered everywhere around the bulkhead-SON OF A B*TCH!!!!! NOWHERE had 49G breeders in stock 2 week min. order everywhere i got ****ed off and said to hell with it ill do it when i get around to it but I did order the tank.

Come Jan. 2013 i figure my tank has had no water changes no dosing no skimmer no GFO,Carbon, or pellets(i was quite ****ed with my tank as i did 35-40 gal changes bi weekly) i should get it in gear and get the sump operational

I reconnect the 2 drains the returns the pump to the bulkhead all is well
i fill the sump with water so i can heat it up before it hits the display (my 55 g mixing drum is outside)
its full right on heater going bulkhead leaks ever so slightly i throw my trusty old pipe wrench on it turn it about 1 face and voila leak sealed i stand up and hear craccccccckkkkkkk you have got to be kidding me sump #2 cracked like god damnit the bulkhead was hand tight plus a hair and siliconed to boot!!!!!!! how did it leak the hole was drilled clean as well with very little to no blow out!!!!!!!

and to top it off Im not drinking in Jan. so i cant even put my feeet up and have a beer to feel better!!!!!

so anywho anyone need any glass??? i have 2 40G breeder tanks that have 3 panes in good shape 1 of them has only had water in it for under 5 minutes glass isnt scratched free in maple ridge

I feel better

Aquattro
01-10-2013, 11:52 PM
so anywho anyone need any glass??? i have 2 40G breeder tanks that have 3 panes in good shape 1 of them has only had water in it for under 5 minutes glass isnt scratched free in maple ridge

I feel better

I'd be cutting the good side out of one and adding it to the other :) Run a pipe over top instead of drilling it

e46er
01-11-2013, 12:32 AM
Will a snapper be able to create enough suction to pull water up 4" and over the glass??

Aquattro
01-11-2013, 03:04 AM
Ya, but you'll need to prime the plumbing first. It depends on the setup on how best to do that.

e46er
01-11-2013, 03:11 AM
40 gal breeder pump is on 1 end
How would I prime it making sure all the air is out

Aquattro
01-11-2013, 05:37 AM
If possible, you could siphon from the display. Attach a hose to the intake to suck on, and get the water back flowing, then turn on the pump. Build it as a U so that it goes up, over and into the sump and it will stay primed when you turn the pump off.

spit.fire
01-11-2013, 09:04 AM
What kind of bulkheads are you using? And what size?

spit.fire
01-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Also would a 75g fit as a sump? I've got an old scratched up one that I'm using for lr storage that you can have, although I can only drill for a 1 " bulkhead

Or maybe it's time to get an internal pump

hydrofire
01-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Time to throw that pipe wrench away.... Use channel locks, you can "feel" what your applying for pressure. I would rather use some silicone and compress those rubbers a tiny bit than crank on them.

e46er
01-11-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm a pipe fitter so I'm familiar with how much pressure is applied - it wasn't over tighten I removed the bulkhead by hand unless maybe my fit of rage I got superhuman strength!

I dont like Internal pumps too much maintaince not enough flow

whatcaneyedo
01-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Heres something visual for you. To prime it I close the 1-1/2" big ball valve, open the 1/4" ball valve, suck the air out, close the the 1/4" valve, then open the 1-1/2" and plug in the pump. Done. No drilling required. The pump doesn't need to sit under the sump. I think I just did that because space was tight.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/Picture1342.jpg