PDA

View Full Version : purple tang

chevyjaxon
01-10-2013, 08:36 PM
so I was wanting to add one of these guys to my 90g I have a kole and a convict tang in there atm no fighting, just a little chasing. since this guy is NOT con specific I know it will be ok. what I want to know is what is a fair price to pay for a small purple tang?

scubadawg
01-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Purple tangs go in Edmonton for about 150.00 to 200.00

chevyjaxon
01-10-2013, 08:46 PM
I know where I can find one for 100.00 still very small too! a couple weeks and thay litte guy is goin home with me! if I could have one of each tang all in the same place I would. I've often wondered how with seemingly such sucess so many yellow tangs can be housed together in one of the tanks at west ed, thats for another posting though.

scubadawg
01-10-2013, 08:49 PM
I know it's the one at Red Coral for $100.00, I have one already.

subman
01-10-2013, 09:40 PM
The tang police would say a 90 is to small for any tangs never mind 3. That being said I've found koles to be non aggressive. Not sure about the convict as I have no experience with them.

waynemah
01-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Purple tang is the most aggressive fish in my 225... I wouldn't want to see what he would do to other tangs in a 90. :sad:

Marlin65
01-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Have to agree on that purples are aggressive at least mine sure was.

naesco
01-10-2013, 10:29 PM
It is great that you love tangs as I do but you really need to carefully consider providing them with the optimum conditions. You do don't you?
So plan to move up a couple of feet to a 6 footer and add tangs to your hearts content.

IME it would be poor judgement to add a purple tang which is known to be aggressive to a small tank that already has two tangs in it as has already been posted.

Aquattro
01-10-2013, 10:37 PM
It is great that you love tangs as I do but you really need to carefully consider providing them with the optimum conditions. You do don't you?
So plan to move up a couple of feet to a 6 footer and add tangs to your hearts content.

IME it would be poor judgement to add a purple tang which is known to be aggressive to a small tank that already has two tangs in it as has already been posted.

Do you have some app that alerts you to the word Tang?? :razz:

Proteus
01-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Other than my sohal buy far the most aggressive tang I had

kien
01-10-2013, 10:53 PM

not sure if he needs an app. I'm pretty sure his Tang-senses start to tingle and he develops an uncontrollable twitch until he finds the culprit thread.

naesco
01-10-2013, 10:58 PM

You mean my spider that searches most reef boards?

Aquattro
01-10-2013, 11:07 PM
You mean my spider that searches most reef boards?

Yup, that's the one -lol

chevyjaxon
01-10-2013, 11:19 PM
right, that's why the purple tang is the last tang , and has to be the smallest of the three. the convict is rather small, and the tank boss is my 5 inch kole. I have roughly 250 lbs of LR stacked up in the middle of the tank seperating front from back. lotsa outta sight places for them to be away from each other. I've had sucess with a unicorn, yellow, and scopas in the past because of the immense amount of lr setup in the tank. go Berlin method:mrgreen:

chevyjaxon
01-10-2013, 11:21 PM
not sure if he needs an app. I'm pretty sure his Tang-senses start to tingle and he develops an uncontrollable twitch until he finds the culprit thread.

roflmao culprit indeed!

fishoholic
01-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Purple tang is the most aggressive fish in my 225... I wouldn't want to see what he would do to other tangs in a 90. :sad:

Absolutely I 1000% agree

right, that's why the purple tang is the last tang , and has to be the smallest of the three. the convict is rather small, and the tank boss is my 5 inch kole. I have roughly 250 lbs of LR stacked up in the middle of the tank seperating front from back. lotsa outta sight places for them to be away from each other. I've had sucess with a unicorn, yellow, and scopas in the past because of the immense amount of lr setup in the tank. go Berlin method:mrgreen:

Not to be rude but I will ask Red coral not to sell it to you. The purple tang will torment and attack and stress out your other two tangs. It's not fair to any of your fish to add him to such a small tank. You need a minimum of at least a 180g if you want a purple tang. Plus when I saw you at the store you mentioned you were having some issues with your tank. I would get the issues you have under control first before even thinking about adding anything else never mind a fish that has no business in being in there!

FragIt Dan
01-11-2013, 02:41 AM
I have a 4+" purple tang with a 4" mimic tang, a 4" maroon clown and a couple other random fish in a 90G with no issues. The two tangs are best friends and are rarely more than a couple of inches apart. Having said that I would not have voluntarily put these two into my tank were it not for a friend shutting his system down. They came out of another 90G and were in with a decent size Kole and Scopus as well.
Dan

chevyjaxon
01-11-2013, 04:00 AM
there aren't any issues with my tank other than me raising my salinity. which my tank is now doing nicely from. I do a minimum 20% change every week which consists of two 15 gallon water changes. my total system is 150 gallons. I rarely have any issues with fish in my tank, and always take any appropriate measures to make sure all are healthy. a purple tang is not conspecific to anything I have in my tank. like I've said I have kept a scopas,unicorn, and yellow tang all housed together at the same time in this tank. just because other people have had no sucess for what ever reason, dosent mean that I won't be sucessful. In all likelyhood I won't be getting the fish from steve now because of the animosity you are all stirring up about this. but that dosent mean that I still won't go out next week when I'm sure my tank can handle it and purchase one. if I were an irresponsible aquariast that fish would already be in my tank period. and end of discussion. I started this thread not to rile the tang police but instead to find out what is a fair price is for this particular fish. oh one more thing, the reason for my sucess with tangs is the fact that I have nearly three grand worth of live rock in my tank. lotsa territory to name and hide in on my small reef by that measure.

MMAX
01-11-2013, 01:18 PM
The more live rock you have in your tank means the less swimming space for your tangs.

michika
01-11-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm going to add in that I previously had a purple that lived with 6 other tangs and it was NOT aggressive. Of all the yellow, purple, sailfin, tangs I would place the purple as the LEAST aggressive of the zebrasoma (sp?).

Before immediately rushing to prevent a business from selling to a client, I'd probably ask a few other questions first; how large are your existing tangs, what are your long term tank plans, etc.

What if all these fish are 2-3" in length? What if they are all 4-5"? It makes a difference.

I'm not saying either "side" here is right, but I am saying step back and ask more questions.

fishoholic
01-11-2013, 02:07 PM
I'm going to add in that I previously had a purple that lived with 6 other tangs and it was NOT aggressive. Of all the yellow, purple, sailfin, tangs I would place the purple as the LEAST aggressive of the zebrasoma (sp?).

Before immediately rushing to prevent a business from selling to a client, I'd probably ask a few other questions first; how large are your existing tangs, what are your long term tank plans, etc.

What if all these fish are 2-3" in length? What if they are all 4-5"? It makes a difference.

I'm not saying either "side" here is right, but I am saying step back and ask more questions.

Sorry I know the poster personally so I am aware of his tank set up and situation, due to this I may have come off a bit harsher then necessary, attempting to knock some sense into him. He has told me that he thinks his 90g tank size is fine (even when years ago told him the unicorn tang he had would get way to big for his tank, he didn't seem to care) and he's told me that he has no plans on upgrading tank size. I personally think a purple tang has no business being in a 90g, regardless of how small it is.

However people will do what they want (and honestly I've been guiltily of it, but I usually regretted not listening to the good advice given) anyway all we can do is make people aware of the bad decision they are about to make. I know I would of saved some money over the years if I had just listened to what others told me instead of trying it out anyway regardless of consequences.

FYI my purple tang is aggressive, he picks on my mimic tang, my angelfish and my rabbitfish. He doesn't care if the fish looks like him or not.

Madreefer
01-11-2013, 03:56 PM
The more live rock you have in your tank means the less swimming space for your tangs.

Sounds like theres not alot of swimming room left. I dont think you people are going to change this guys mind. I don't agree with his decision either but i'd say the tang will be in his tank this weekend.

ps. Marko did you change your name?:biggrin:

reefwars
01-11-2013, 04:07 PM
ps. Marko did you change your name?:biggrin:

hahah i bet it is marko :P

people are going to buy the fish they see fit , while some may be influenced not to buy because others say not to most will buy as they please.

the way i see it is people need to do what they see is best , he may rehome the tang one week later or upgrade and keep the tang for 10yrs either way its their own call best we can do is inform the person of the fishes needs and hope he does whats best for the animal long term , not everyone does the right thing but there are still some good people left.

Coralgurl
01-11-2013, 04:19 PM
While not an expert in fish or this hobby and still learning, from my own experiences with fish recently, it is really difficult to say how fish are going to react in a tank.

I've spoken with a number of people who could not believe my blue hippo would go after my trigger the way it did, even causing him to jump out of the tank. My tominini goes after my goby. They are all in a 180 gl tank. I researched my fish choices before adding, and yes have made poor choices, not understanding reef safe doesn't necessarily just pertain to corals, but inverts, rocks etc.

I think everyone has a story or two about fish they thought would be "reef safe" and turned into the complete opposite.

The op is asking about pricing, not whether its suitable in his tank. I've lost a number of fish recently and I'd be a little upset if I was told a store won't sell me one because I don't have a cover and my tank isn't suitable for say wrasses.

reefwars
01-11-2013, 06:07 PM
While not an expert in fish or this hobby and still learning, from my own experiences with fish recently, it is really difficult to say how fish are going to react in a tank.

I've spoken with a number of people who could not believe my blue hippo would go after my trigger the way it did, even causing him to jump out of the tank. My tominini goes after my goby. They are all in a 180 gl tank. I researched my fish choices before adding, and yes have made poor choices, not understanding reef safe doesn't necessarily just pertain to corals, but inverts, rocks etc.

I think everyone has a story or two about fish they thought would be "reef safe" and turned into the complete opposite.

The op is asking about pricing, not whether its suitable in his tank. I've lost a number of fish recently and I'd be a little upset if I was told a store won't sell me one because I don't have a cover and my tank isn't suitable for say wrasses.

exactly a store is a business hence being a store , sure an employee may feel like a bluespot stingray is to large for a 25g tank and decide not to sell it for that reason but no store is going to nit pick with a customer over future upgrades, opinions on fish behaviors and whether or not the customer is experienced enough or not.

its up to the general public to spread whats best for fish and ultimately its up to the customer to dfo his own reserarch and decide if a fish is right for him system.

some people would say my house is to small for my dog.....does that mean i shouldnt have been sold my dog?

realistically he gets a walk every morning before work , fed twice a day and has play dates with other dogs.....statistically my place is too small for a 100lb active animal but theres a good posibility he has a better home now with me then he could with someone in a large acreage who leaves him to sleep outside and fed every other day.

opinions.....

gobytron
01-11-2013, 06:54 PM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Man...
You are on fire today.

gobytron
01-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Absolutely I 1000% agree

Not to be rude but I will ask Red coral not to sell it to you. The purple tang will torment and attack and stress out your other two tangs. It's not fair to any of your fish to add him to such a small tank. You need a minimum of at least a 180g if you want a purple tang. Plus when I saw you at the store you mentioned you were having some issues with your tank. I would get the issues you have under control first before even thinking about adding anything else never mind a fish that has no business in being in there!

Wow...
you are self entitled aren't you?
I hate to say it, but you have absolutely no right to control what someone else does with their money if they are not buying directly from you.

This is one of the most self righteous things I have ever seen or read.

Naesco should be proud.

Reefer Rob
01-11-2013, 07:30 PM
:pop2: I just love these Tang threads!

Aquattro
01-11-2013, 07:31 PM
:pop2: I just love these Tang threads!

Ya, they're my second favorite thread topic :)

michika
01-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Ya, they're my second favorite thread topic :)

And the first?

Aquattro
01-11-2013, 07:38 PM
And the first?

Don't even wanna go there today :) Besides, it might derail this Tang thread. :razz:

reefwars
01-11-2013, 08:59 PM
i have fish in a 25g.....

that is all:P

whatcaneyedo
01-11-2013, 09:24 PM
WHeeeee! Where is that smily face that beats a dead horse? Ahhh here we go :deadhorse:

I've had a purple tang in my 120gal since 2006, its the only tang in there and I won't add second one to that tank. For some reason its highly aggressive towards my snowflake moray and initially beat up on the CBB that I bought in 2008. Removing the tang from the tank for a week allowed the CBB to settle in but it never has warmed up the the eel.

Both of my tangs (there is a powder blue in my 140gal frag tank) came from people who were shutting down. If you consider that the alternative would have been a long and possibly fatal stay at Total Pet I think I've given them a good home. Oh and I guess I could mention that the purple tang cost me $50 since that was apparently the real purpose of this thread.

naesco
01-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Wow...
I hate to say it, but you have absolutely no right to control what someone else does with their money if they are not buying directly from you.

Naesco should be proud.

And I am because there is a chance that the purple tang will not be purchased and killl some other fish in his tank. It is his decision alone and I hope he considers the tang first.

Look, sometimes I may go overboard on what I see, in my opinion, as an unethical practise.

I have condemned LFS both on this board and at the LFS for bringing in fish like Moorish Idols.

Poor judgment is another issue. Some reefers take advice/criticism on this board and make the decision to do the right thing and postpone their purchase.

However some reefers with an attitude just do what they want regardless of the adivise or cautions of others.

It has been my experience that the ones with attitude quidkly come and go on this board because eventually they will have a major disaster and quit the hobby. The others will enjoy there tanks and the crittters therein for a very long time.

waynemah
01-11-2013, 10:20 PM
so I was wanting to add one of these guys to my 90g I have a kole and a convict tang in there atm no fighting, just a little chasing. since this guy is NOT con specific I know it will be ok. what I want to know is what is a fair price to pay for a small purple tang?

I started this thread not to rile the tang police but instead to find out what is a fair price is for this particular fish.

I'm 99% sure if you just posted the price question, everything would be fine... But, it really sounds like you were poking for some reassurance that it would be a good decision.

I've seen peoples tanks packed with seemingly happy and healthy fish, but they truly care for them and provide the best care possible. I've also seen people put fish together that do not belong, some get lucky and some don't. Everything I've read here points to a couple of very basic things.

1. Any tang should be provided as much swimming space as possible. When you start cooping up several larger tangs together, is when it becomes an ethical problem. What's the limit? Who knows...

2. Adding a purple tang is a risk to your current fish. Some people are more lucky than others, but for the most part they are aggressive. Everyone here has taken some sort of risk when new additions hit the tank. I'd just say keep an eye on your tank and take corrective action if required.

$100 is a great deal... It's your money, but be happy that people are trying to share their experience to help you make an educated decision.

lastlight
01-11-2013, 10:22 PM

Man these posts drive me nuts. Buy a 6 foot tank and then you can add a whole bunch of them there tangs! How does adding a measly 45 gallons then mean you can have a whole bunch of tangs but a person shouldn't have any in a 90?

You used to own the smallest 6 foot tank a person can buy i think. 135 gallons and it was a BULLNOSE to boot so technically it averages out to a little less than 6 feet. Not to mention it was a narrow tank at only 18 inches. You had multiple tangs... and a tang that gets massive and nearly always murderous in the case of the sohal.

- regal tang
- sohal tang
- purple tang
- acanthuus pyroferus

Give it a rest already. I'm sure you've annoyed more people into buying the suspect tang than steered people clear.

seapony
01-11-2013, 10:25 PM
I've had a purple tang in my 120gal since 2006, its the only tang in there and I won't add second one to that tank. For some reason its highly aggressive towards my snowflake moray

Sorry to Hyjack the thread a bit but i'm still in the process of stocking my 120g and want to add a tang and I have been trying to decide between a Purple and a Sailfin tang. I currenly have a snowflake that's around 13 inches. how aggressive is your purple to the snowfalke whatcaneyedo? would i be looking at long term heartache with a purple and a snowflake together?

also is there a good tang thread that i can read? i keep finding conflicting info about the sailfin and don't know if i should consider it.

whatcaneyedo
01-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Sorry to Hyjack the thread a bit but i'm still in the process of stocking my 120g and want to add a tang and I have been trying to decide between a Purple and a Sailfin tang. I currenly have a snowflake that's around 13 inches. how aggressive is your purple to the snowfalke whatcaneyedo? would i be looking at long term heartache with a purple and a snowflake together?

also is there a good tang thread that i can read? i keep finding conflicting info about the sailfin and don't know if i should consider it.

The moray often travels through the tang's preferred area during feeding time which irritates the tang. It will threaten the moray by swatting at it with its tail but has never caused any damage that I could see. The moray is barely bothered by this most of the time but I think they would be happier together with a larger tank to give each of them more territory. My intension is to give them a 5'x3'x'2 tank one day, just not in the house where I currently live.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/IMG_9026.jpg

gobytron
01-11-2013, 11:02 PM
And I am because there is a chance that the purple tang will not be purchased and killl some other fish in his tank. It is his decision alone and I hope he considers the tang first.

Look, sometimes I may go overboard on what I see, in my opinion, as an unethical practise.

I have condemned LFS both on this board and at the LFS for bringing in fish like Moorish Idols.

Poor judgment is another issue. Some reefers take advice/criticism on this board and make the decision to do the right thing and postpone their purchase.

However some reefers with an attitude just do what they want regardless of the adivise or cautions of others.

It has been my experience that the ones with attitude quidkly come and go on this board because eventually they will have a major disaster and quit the hobby. The others will enjoy there tanks and the crittters therein for a very long time.

Look you bleeding heart...
If you feel so strongly about this, you shouldnt have an aquarium at all.
This hobby is horrible for the environment and the animals that you purport to care so much for.

ANY animal you pull out of the ocean is going to live a more stressed, unhealthier, shorter life than it would in the wild.

Even if splitting splitting hairs makes you feel righteous...it's just a feeling.

f you want to be an activist, don't be a reefer.

And another thing, while I have seen some pretty lame statements under your name, equating success in reefing to attitude tops them all.
Just because you feel like you have some good advice to offer, doesn't really mean you do.

here's some light reading for ya..
http://reeftools.com/news/tang-police-the-forum-vigilantes/
http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/arrested-tang-police-i-refuse-confess

kien
01-11-2013, 11:02 PM

When I got my purple tang 3 years ago he was $80. Since then I've noticed their prices have gone up and fluctuate quite a bit. Speaking with a few LFS I've heard that they are getting increasingly difficult and more expensive to get in. They can range from $100 to upwards of $200 depending on where they are coming from.

fishoholic
01-11-2013, 11:07 PM
Wow...

Naesco should be proud.

Yep what's your point? I am not going to not speak up for the health of a fish just because others might get offended.

fishoholic
01-11-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm 99% sure if you just posted the price question, everything would be fine... But, it really sounds like you were poking for some reassurance that it would be a good decision.

I've seen peoples tanks packed with seemingly happy and healthy fish, but they truly care for them and provide the best care possible. I've also seen people put fish together that do not belong, some get lucky and some don't. Everything I've read here points to a couple of very basic things.

1. Any tang should be provided as much swimming space as possible. When you start cooping up several larger tangs together, is when it becomes an ethical problem. What's the limit? Who knows...

2. Adding a purple tang is a risk to your current fish. Some people are more lucky than others, but for the most part they are aggressive. Everyone here has taken some sort of risk when new additions hit the tank. I'd just say keep an eye on your tank and take corrective action if required.

$100 is a great deal... It's your money, but be happy that people are trying to share their experience to help you make an educated decision.

Exactly thank-you

Proteus
01-11-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm with you Laurie. While I do understand that any fish will be out of place coming from ocean to tank. We can still do our part to house them with the best environment possible. We wouldn't put a horse in a kennel now would we.

gobytron
01-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Aaaannndd an old thread I think Naesco and Titus should reread.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71528&highlight=tang+study&page=11

gobytron
01-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Yep what's your point? I am not going to not speak up for the health of a fish just because others might get offended.

speaking up is one thing...
Trying to say you are going to talk to a retailer so they don't sell a fish to another member you disagree with is quite another...

You've moved from Tang Police to Tang Nazi.

you should also read the articles and thread I've posted above.

They would be good for you.

naesco
01-11-2013, 11:24 PM

Sea Pony
I think there will be 100% agreement that a sailfin is not a good idea. The reason is that although reefers can buy them small, next to the Vlamingi AND similar tangs they are one of the fastest growing tangs you can get. Picture a pie plate in your tank.
The best tang for a smaller tank is the kole tang. Get one with no blotches, nice and plump bright clean eyes. Active: just as interested in you as you are in him. Keep a side of your tank dirty because he needs film algae which is the greasey stuff you find on the glass. They are really nice fish to have and are easy to keep.

Last Light and Gobytron
MERRRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU

naesco
01-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Trying to say you are going to talk to a retailer so they don't sell a fish to another member you disagree with is quite another...

It is never appropriate to call someone a Nazi. Edit your post forthwith!!

Doug
01-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Yes I agree. Can you not argue a point without calling other names. And I was going to ask this before your last post and now its worse. Could you please edit your threads to get your point across without the name calling.
Thanks

seapony
01-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Thanks naseco I'll read up on the kole

reefwars
01-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Yes I agree. Can you not argue a point without calling other names. And I was going to ask this before your last post and now its worse. Could you please edit your threads to get your point across without the name calling.
Thanks

So can we edit or can't we:ppp

intarsiabox
01-12-2013, 12:55 AM

Only if you're fast enough!

Proteus
01-12-2013, 12:56 AM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd400/titus991/76055A55-5B6A-49EF-A2A2-E633A2BA5EBC-26988-000024A88772A619.jpg

fishoholic
01-12-2013, 01:03 AM
I'm with you Laurie. While I do understand that any fish will be out of place coming from ocean to tank. We can still do our part to house them with the best environment possible. We wouldn't put a horse in a kennel now would we.

Again thank-you

Part of everything that you are missing is that I know the original poster, so let me give you some backstory. A few years ago he added inappropriate fish to his tank and had nothing but issues with it, he got frustrated with the hobby and with a baby on the way, his mistakes were getting costly so he quit. Now fast forward a few years and he's trying to do better, but sorry, I see history repeating itself. Personally I think he needs to slow down, give his tank a chance to stabilize, and make appropriate fish choices, so he can enjoy the hobby and not get frustrated and quit again.

He knows I am friends with the Steve the owner. So while I'll admit maybe threatening him wasn't the best way to go about things, I was feeling frustrated that he was going to put a bunch a fish at risk and didn't seem to want to listen to the good advice being given. I figured my threat might make him pay attention and listen to the advice being given. However even my own boyfriend Doug (who works there on Sat.'s) pointed out, that all you can do is tell them what you think is best and if they want to waste their money on bad decisions it's their choice to do so.

BTW if I was nazi all I'd care about is the survival of the fittest and take pleasure in the weak being killed. However since all I care about is the well being of all the fish I don't see how that term is appropriate or fitting, maybe you should read up on your history.

Doug
01-12-2013, 01:07 AM

Oh Ya. Forgot......:noidea:

naesco
01-12-2013, 01:30 AM
Again thank-you

Part of everything that you are missing is that I know the original poster, so let me give you some backstory. A few years ago he added inappropriate fish to his tank and had nothing but issues with it, he got frustrated with the hobby and with a baby on the way, his mistakes were getting costly so he quit. Now fast forward a few years and he's trying to do better, but sorry, I see history repeating itself. Personally I think he needs to slow down, give his tank a chance to stabilize, and make appropriate fish choices, so he can enjoy the hobby and not get frustrated and quit again.

He knows I am friends with the Steve the owner. So while I'll admit maybe threatening him wasn't the best way to go about things, I was feeling frustrated that he was going to put a bunch a fish at risk and didn't seem to want to listen to the good advice being given. I figured my threat might make him pay attention and listen to the advice being given. However even my own boyfriend Doug (who works there on Sat.'s) pointed out, that all you can do is tell them what you think is best and if they want to waste their money on bad decisions it's their choice to do so.

BTW if I was nazi all I'd care about is the survival of the fittest and take pleasure in the weak being killed. However since all I care about is the well being of all the fish I don't see how that term is appropriate or fitting, maybe you should read up on your history.

And Doug is right. Like my Dido used to say: " you can take a fish to water but you can't make it drink"

lastlight
01-12-2013, 05:27 AM
I just personally feel naesco that someone who's been as vocal as you have (many times when you've not been asked to be) should justify to us your own tang selection given your own small tank in the past. I'm not attacking you I honestly don't understand how your situation was any better. At the very least you had a tang that grows longer than your tank was wide.

howdy20012002
01-12-2013, 05:44 AM
I figured I would throw my two cents in here.
the purple tang at steves is 2" inches in size..pretty much the smallest purple tang that I have seen actually
at this point, this tang is far from being able to kick the other tang's butts in his tank. he is also adding it as his last tang which is the proper thing to do when coming to potentially aggressive fish.
I have a large purple tang in a 90 gallon with a smaller regal tang and they have zero aggression towards each other..
in fact, they hang out together.
I don't think that putting a purple tang in a 90 is the worst thing to do...especially keeping the size of the purple tang in mind.
we all have done things that we probably shouldn't have...some much more so than what this gentleman is considering.
most fish will show aggression given the right circumstance.
I personally think the fish would be fine for now, and IMO, will have a good chance of being fine in the future.
I am sure that for everyone that has an aggressive purple tang, there is someone that doesn't.
This being said, if you are having issues with your tank, adding any fish (especially tangs which are prone to ich) is not a wise move regardless of the species.
and to your original question..yes a purple tang for 100.00 is a great deal and I am actually very surprised that Steve still has it.

Pan
01-12-2013, 07:09 AM
I know 3 people with Moorish Idols all over 4 years Old.

Aside from the danger of natural predators in the wild, there is not one wild caught fish that is not better off in the ocean than in a tank. Complain all you want, but unless your tanks are one hundred percent aqua cultured/bred than you are, in fact, as bad as the person you are condemning. Curious as to why you think one type of fish is okay being enclosed in a glass box, but not others? I'm sure all fish have a broader range in the wild than they do in a tank. For every example one cites as a reason such and such can not live in a tank, someone can do the opposite.

Husbandry goes a long way, obviously the bigger the tank the better, but that goes for all fish.

I had a purple Tang in my 200 gallon, if you want to say aggressive i'd say the Yellow tang ( He razored his share of fish for sure) was far more aggressive than the purple, followed by the Tomini and the atlantic blue. The Purple was probably the most docile fish I owned :) aside from my leopard wrasse and my beautiful powder blue.

Pan
01-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Curious as to why you would even bother to bring up Nazi's? Comparing everything to them is the lamest thing one can do on the interwebs.

Again thank-you