PDA

View Full Version : Mystery...larvae?

carriej
01-10-2013, 02:50 AM
Hi Folks,

I went downstairs tonight and there are hundreds of white larvae of some kind in my tank. They move and look like shrimp, but I don't have any shrimp that I'm aware of. Only invert is a few hermits. They kinda free fall and then scurry around. They are -everywhere-.

They have visible eyeballs. About the size of mosquito larvae. My camera is too crappy to take a picture. They have legs too. They swim by like pinching themselves (thin the way misquito larvae move) but they kinda use their legs too.

Definitely not pods or anything like that. Way too big.

Any ideas?

subman
01-10-2013, 02:53 AM
Im sure they are pods. Pods can get quite large I have some the size of freshwater shrimp (at least the freshwater shrimp in lakes around here)

carriej
01-10-2013, 02:57 AM
You think? I wish I had a good camera. I have pods but they are quite small - these guys are big. Where did they all come from? I check every night with a flash light and never see anything like that. Plus they were out before my lights went out. I could see them all swarming from about 10 feet away and went to investigate.

EDIT: I should mention their body is curved, like a C shape. Very bizarre. I want to know why no one wants to eat them!

jtbadco
01-10-2013, 03:14 AM
could be the hermits spawning. Look it up on the net. I have heard of this before and they spawn in large quantities.

Nano
01-10-2013, 03:18 AM
Google amphipod

carriej
01-10-2013, 03:25 AM
I looked at the amphipods, I have seen those before.

I looked up hermit crabs. This is it exactly. http://youtu.be/C1US9Q4UUoY