PDA

View Full Version : wrasse and cleaner shrimp

chevyjaxon
01-09-2013, 04:13 PM
I want a cleaner shrimp, I have a pink wrasse in my tank, would the wrasse recognize the shrinp as lunch? or leave it alone?

kien
01-09-2013, 04:29 PM
I want a cleaner shrimp, I have a pink wrasse in my tank, would the wrasse recognize the shrinp as lunch? or leave it alone?

Can you be more specific about your wrasse? Do you know the species name? There are a bunch of wrasses that are pink like fairy wrasses and the mystery wrasse. There is also a wrasse that's called the Pink Face wrasse. Fairy wrasses and the mystery wrasse will typically leave your inverts alone but the Pink Face wrasse is not considered reef safe and has a higher likelihood of lunching on your invertebrates.

chevyjaxon
01-09-2013, 05:10 PM
I bought this wrasse because it is considered "reef safe" don't know the species name though.

mark
01-09-2013, 05:50 PM
not pink with stripes (six line)? Know I can't keep shrimp with my six line.

chevyjaxon
01-09-2013, 06:00 PM
looked up the reciept from when I bought it. its a pink fairy wrasse.

Bblinks
01-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Picture will help, I have never had any issues with keeping cleaner shrimp with any of my wrasses. I also have fire shrimp and peppermint shrimp with a good stable of wrasses.

kien
01-09-2013, 07:48 PM
I believe that most wrasses that are considered Fairy Wrasses are reef safe and will not (generally speaking) go after ornamental invertebrates. I can't think of any fairy wrasses that are not reef safe. So I would say you're fine :-)

chevyjaxon
01-10-2013, 03:27 AM
little bastard went after my new cleaner shrimp looking for a lunch..... trap is in and that wrasse will be soon on its way out.

kien
01-10-2013, 03:45 AM
little bastard went after my new cleaner shrimp looking for a lunch..... trap is in and that wrasse will be soon on its way out.

If your wrasse wanted to eat your new shrimp he would have done so quickly and your shrimp would probably be done by now.

It is a vary natural response for some fish to be curious whenever you add something new. He could just be checking out the new shrimp. Sometimes fish will also try to assert their dominance and show newcomers who's boss by charging at them and chasing them for an initial period of time. This doesn't mean he's trying to eat your shrimp. Also, a lot of fish will recognize the cleaner shrimp for what he is, a cleaning shrimp and will try to engage the shrimp to get it to clean them. Sometimes the shrimp just don't want to clean the fish but the fish will keep trying to bother the shrimp to get them to do some cleaning.

At any rate, I wouldn't panic, unless of course you can actually witness and see your pink fairy wrasse nipping the shrimp's body and antennae. The antennae are usually the first to go if in fact the wrasse is trying to eat it.

chevyjaxon
01-10-2013, 04:29 AM
it was a very aggresive nip at the antenae not once bit twice.

kien
01-10-2013, 04:33 AM
it was a very aggresive nip at the antenae not once bit twice.

D'oh! Sounds like Murphy has struck again! That's some bad luck. Every once in a while you'll get a fish that breaks the generality that's applied to it, sadly.. Like us fish have personality too. Even though their species may generally be reef safe you'll get the odd fish with a very non reef safe personality. This pretty much goes for every fish out there.

kien
01-10-2013, 04:36 AM
Mind you it could still be a territorial response. I've owned lots of inverts in my time and have lost a few antennae due to new addition aggressions. If the shrimp wasn't eaten right away, the antennae grows back and the fish in about a day or so is satisfied that she has shown the shrimp who's the boss and leaves him alone there after.

chevyjaxon
01-10-2013, 03:56 PM
the shrimp is still alive this morning so that's good news. looked up what the wrasse is turns out its a pink marginal fairy. no more attacks on the shrimp thus far.....

kien
01-10-2013, 04:01 PM
the shrimp is still alive this morning so that's good news. looked up what the wrasse is turns out its a pink marginal fairy. no more attacks on the shrimp thus far.....

Excellent! That is a pretty wrasse! Again, if your wrasse wanted to eat your shrimp the shrimp would be done by now. :-) He/she is probably satisfied that they've shown that shrimp who's boss and they will probably become BFF going forward :-)

chevyjaxon
01-10-2013, 04:10 PM
man kien, I sure hope you're right. I really don't want any predators in my tank.

kien
01-10-2013, 04:13 PM
man kien, I sure hope you're right. I really don't want any predators in my tank.

aside from eating tiny copepods, amphipods and worms, I would not consider your wrasse an invertebrate predator.