PDA

View Full Version : Filter Socks

figdish
01-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Can anyone tell me how I can get my filter socks white again. I tried vinegar with a little bleach and that worked great the first time but not since. Last night I tried hydrogen peroxide soak but still not coming clean. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks fishy fans :question:

daplatapus
01-08-2013, 11:15 PM
I use about 1/4 cup of bleach in the washing machine with an extra rinse cycle after. It's been over a year. While they aren't like brand new white, they do come fairly clean.

Baldy
01-08-2013, 11:28 PM
I use about 1/4 cup of bleach in the washing machine with an extra rinse cycle after. It's been over a year. While they aren't like brand new white, they do come fairly clean.

same thing as I do, only I run them through a second cycle without bleach to rinse them. All 4 are still white after 1.5 years

asylumdown
01-09-2013, 03:48 AM
yah, you've got to use a bunch o' bleach. Even then mine never get back to 'like new' white.

I put mine in the washing machine on 'heavy duty' with the max amount of bleach that the bleach tray will handle, then put it through 3 extra rinse cycles. They still smell faintly of chlorine when they come out, but not after they dry off.

daplatapus
01-09-2013, 04:58 AM
LOL, yeah, and make sure your wife didn't just do a load with those new Downey Unstoppables! My last socks that went through smelled suspiciously fresh :D

kien
01-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Can anyone tell me how I can get my filter socks white again. I tried vinegar with a little bleach and that worked great the first time but not since. Last night I tried hydrogen peroxide soak but still not coming clean. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks fishy fans :question:

Is there a reason why you want to get them white? I doubt they will get white again after a few uses. Off-white is probably the best you can do :-) The floss material will stain to a point where even bleach won't completely turn it white again. However, this does not mean it is no longer effective. So long as you wash it, it should be good to go even if it is not sparkling white. Again, it just means that the fine strands in the filter sock are stained. It doesn't necessarily mean that the sock is still clogged with gunk, if you've washed it.

Same principle as a stained shirt. Think of a tie-die. The fabric is stained, but you can wash the shirt over and over again to clean it without the stain coming out :-)

figdish
01-09-2013, 10:27 PM
thanks all for the tips, I think I wasn't using enuf bleach as was only putting a capful in as worried would still be in sock. I don't expect them to be sparkling white but still nasty brown color. Gonna try with more bleach and extra rinses see how that works. thanks again all
cheers

Proteus
01-09-2013, 10:58 PM
How long would you typically say that there good for

molotov
01-09-2013, 11:12 PM
I spray mine with a garden hose sprayer in my laundry tub. That's the key. When I have enough for a load of socks I run them with bleach. Mine come out white as the driven snow. :mrgreen: