PDA

View Full Version : Hell of a way to start the new year

Dearth
01-08-2013, 02:41 PM
I went on a lil vacation to Edmonton for change of scenery for 4 days I come back to find my tank is hurting. I lost a leather coral and my hammer coral was not looking to good one rock was covered in green hair algae and another was loaded with bubble algae and about a 1/3rd of my visible sand was covered in red algae and My fish were looking distressed.

I picked all the bubble algae I could and got as much of the hair algae as I could as well then removed what I could of red algae without disturbing the sand bed too much. Did a 50% water change and cleaned skimmer as good as I could. Turned the lights off for 3 days and finally turned them on this morning and things are looking better hair algae is controlled as is the bubble algae but the red algae is being stubborn and my fish are happy once again as is my hammer coral.

Cleaned my skimmer 3 times a day(overkill I know) and water looks better as well what a way to start the new yr.

Rogue951
01-09-2013, 07:30 PM
have you identified the cause?

Madreefer
01-09-2013, 07:51 PM
What happened to all the other corals that you took from my place to fill your tank? There's no mention of them. Did they all die before this or?

Dearth
01-09-2013, 08:15 PM
All the Coral I got from you Madreefer are alive and healthy with the exception of one and it died within days of going in the tank Shaun is aware of it as well.

As to the cause of my tank partially crashing only suspect I have is the Mushroom leather coral that died as it was a fair size and it hadn't been doing well lately due to my Lawnmower Blenny continually pushing the rock it was attached to over. My tank is again healthy and all is good again.

Picture of tank taken this morning everything is in full bloom

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Dearth01/026_zps8525dde6.jpg

Dearth
01-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Sorry didn't realize how dark that picture was this is a better one

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Dearth01/027_zps94bf9e2b.jpg

Madreefer
01-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Well thats good to hear? Is that a cleaner wrasse or neon goby on the right of your tank? Those corals are kinda brown since I last seen them. You might want to start ramping up the intensity of your LEDs.:wink:

Dearth
01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
It's a neon goby and fish beside it is yellow tail damsel

All the coral are vibrant colours just the way I took picture makes them look blah sorry about that

Madreefer
01-10-2013, 08:56 PM
I sure hope you did'nt pay the $74.99 price tag they were asking for the one at our LFS. Cuz ther's a breeder in Kamloops that sells them for $15. They do better in pairs.

Dearth
01-10-2013, 09:04 PM
I got the goby and green chromis's from J&L and I rescued the Blenny and yellowtail from Total Pet also known as aptasia central got both for $35 bucks. Last lawnmower blenny they got he priced at $70 bucks haven't seen another yellowtail since I got this guy in sept.

Madreefer
01-10-2013, 09:29 PM
So you gonna take back your damsels when the aggresion begins?:lol:
I try not to go in there. When I see a guy grabbing fish out of the net with his hands to put in the bag it kind of turns me off. Plus I dont really like it when they try to give me lessons on reefing. I feel as though i've been reefing longer than he's been alive.

Dearth
01-10-2013, 09:49 PM
No already have someone who will take it if it gets aggressive and I haven't bought any livestock from them since I got the fish back in sept ill wait till spring to get another order from J&L

Dearth
01-10-2013, 10:23 PM
So you gonna take back your damsels when the aggresion begins?:lol:
I try not to go in there. When I see a guy grabbing fish out of the net with his hands to put in the bag it kind of turns me off. Plus I dont really like it when they try to give me lessons on reefing. I feel as though i've been reefing longer than he's been alive.

Yup he is young and absolutely clueless and even though I only been reeling less than a year I know way more than he thinks he does