PDA

View Full Version : FML: Shutting down

paddyob
01-07-2013, 11:43 PM
I am at the end of my wits.

Now my bristle worms are dying. That I have no idea about. I moved my mandarin downstairs to the temp 20G. I have a couple corals I will post for sale soon.

I will shut down and clean the rocks, sand and everything. Recycle the tank and try again. I hope.

The shut down will give me a chance to check all the equipment for possible damage or corrosion that may be leaching something into the water (possible??).

This has been the shiiiiiittttttiest year for me hands down, reef related.

somewherebeyondthesea
01-07-2013, 11:50 PM
sorry to hear that :cry:

bignose
01-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Sorry to hear Pat. I hope you find out where the problem is coming from.

Rogue951
01-08-2013, 03:50 AM
good luck with finding the problem. At least then you would have a cause.

kien
01-08-2013, 03:30 PM
sorry to hear dude. 2012 wasn't a great year for my tank either. Completely reef meltdown in the summertime :cry: It sounds like you're not quite giving up on the hobby though, which is good to hear :-)

paddyob
01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
sorry to hear dude. 2012 wasn't a great year for my tank either. Completely reef meltdown in the summertime :cry: It sounds like you're not quite giving up on the hobby though, which is good to hear :-)

My tank is my joy. Relief from stress. This year made me very depressed.

If I can't find the issue I don't know what I'll do.

gregzz4
01-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Really sorry to be reading about all your losses lately Pat
Since your Mandy is still swimming, I'm probably wrong but ...

If I recall correctly, this started right after you set up your dosers, yes ?
Have you checked into possible contamination from your dosing products and/or equipment ?
Also, have you tested for copper ?
And a long shot, but is your RO still removing all chlorine (or chloramines if your municipality uses it ) ?

Hope you figure out the cause

Proteus
01-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Last I recall pat uses city water. I to did for a while and in reality the water this time if year is probably when it's at it's cleanest

paddyob
01-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Really sorry to be reading about all your losses lately Pat
Since your Mandy is still swimming, I'm probably wrong but ...

If I recall correctly, this started right after you set up your dosers, yes ?
Have you checked into possible contamination from your dosing products and/or equipment ?
Also, have you tested for copper ?
And a long shot, but is your RO still removing all chlorine (or chloramines if your municipality uses it ) ?

Hope you figure out the cause

Yes. Right after I added the doser and switched from seachem builder to bulk kh. I my levels are ok now so I think the bulk chemical is bad.

No ro. Never have. 6 years without a problem.

Copper I tested at one point but came up negative. However I just added chemipure elite to absorb any possible copper that maybe I was unable to test.

As for equipment I plan to check it all after I remove the last couple softies and find my neon.

I am going to remove the rocks to a separate tank. Then cure them in the dark. Remove all the sand and clean it. As well as clean the sump and check for rusty parts that may be leaching.

Ugh.

I'll start a new thread for the "rebuild" or maybe just keep the current going and it will be full record.

daniella3d
01-09-2013, 02:44 AM
wow, I think that's the problem. There is something in your water that is killing the bristle worms and it is probably not coming from the dosing or from the salt.

6 years without problem and then this? When I had my discus, I used the RO water and some friend used city water until one day there was a contamination in the water supply and most of his fish died. It can happen.

When my tank was contaminated by Kent carbon with copper, the level was beyond what a normal test can register, yet many of my coral died, a lot of pods too.

I would use polyfilter as well.

No ro. Never have. 6 years without a problem.

Copper I tested at one point but came up negative. However I just added chemipure elite to absorb any possible copper that maybe I was unable to test.

As for equipment I plan to check it all after I remove the last couple softies and find my neon.

I am going to remove the rocks to a separate tank. Then cure them in the dark. Remove all the sand and clean it. As well as clean the sump and check for rusty parts that may be leaching.

Ugh.

I'll start a new thread for the "rebuild" or maybe just keep the current going and it will be full record.

paddyob
01-10-2013, 04:18 AM
I'm going to continue this in my build thread. I have uploaded a few pics.

The last of the livestock that's alive has been moved to the 20g with the mandarin.

Here is the link direct to the page...

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=780747#post780747