PDA

View Full Version : [Aptisia] I need some

The Guy
01-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Sounds kinda wierd wanting this pest I know, but I want grow some in a seperate 10 g tank for hand feeding my Copperband butterfly. Saw a utube of a guy who does this, my new guy is actually very friendly and swims right up to my hand and I just got him or her yesterday, from what I read they also eat small featherdusters and mysis shrimp. Any input from others who have these very cool fish would be appreciated.

daniella3d
01-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Before you do this, make sure your copperband is going to eat it. Also I would not feed this on purpose to a copperband because it is toxic and mostly water so very little nutritional value if any.

I would only raise aiptasia to breed berghia nudibranch, nothing else.

Sounds like you don't really know what your copperband is going to eat. Did he ate anything yet? Mine don't eat much anything else than live white worms (enriched with Selcon) and mussel flesh fresh.

It would be much better for your copperband to get a live white worms culture and raise those instead. Better chance of the copperband eating them and living long. I have been feeding my copperband with these for 2 years and he's fat and healthy.

For now you can buy some fresh mussel at the grocery store and open it in half and give your copperband one half of the shell with the flesh in it. Tie it to a heavy rock with a rubber band and he'll probably pick at it clean.

The Guy
01-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Before you do this, make sure your copperband is going to eat it. Also I would not feed this on purpose to a copperband because it is toxic and mostly water so very little nutritional value if any.

I would only raise aiptasia to breed berghia nudibranch, nothing else.

Sounds like you don't really know what your copperband is going to eat. Did he ate anything yet? Mine don't eat much anything else than live white worms (enriched with Selcon) and mussel flesh fresh.

It would be much better for your copperband to get a live white worms culture and raise those instead. Better chance of the copperband eating them and living long. I have been feeding my copperband with these for 2 years and he's fat and healthy.

For now you can buy some fresh mussel at the grocery store and open it in half and give your copperband one half of the shell with the flesh in it. Tie it to a heavy rock with a rubber band and he'll probably pick at it clean.Your right I'm not really sure just what he eats at this point, I'm only going by what I've read. I will forget the aptisia idea I guess as at this point I really don't know if he would eat it anyway. I have some frozen chopped clams do you think he would eat it? Regardless I will try the fresh mussel idea. Thanks for your help on this, I want to know what he will do best with food wise, thats why he is in my 33 long isolation tank first before I put him in the DT. Cheers Laurie

OK everyone else forget the Aptisia idea!!!

subman
01-07-2013, 04:40 PM
To late I put some in your tank lol

Proteus
01-07-2013, 04:43 PM
I used frozen mussel. Worked great

marie
01-07-2013, 04:53 PM
I've had my copperband for 5 yrs now and other then featherdusters, aiptasia, ect that he finds in the tank, the only food he will eat is frozen mysis.

The Guy
01-07-2013, 11:19 PM
To late I put some in your tank lol
Dang! I hate that when that happens!! :noidea:

monocus
01-08-2013, 02:39 AM
if you need aptasia i can give you a small rock to see if he will eat it and if you want spaghetti worms(white featherdusters)i am constantly throwing them out weekly

The Guy
01-08-2013, 05:14 AM
if you need aptasia i can give you a small rock to see if he will eat it and if you want spaghetti worms(white featherdusters)i am constantly throwing them out weekly
I think I'm going to go with the white worms, thanks anyway I also have tons of the tiny white feather dusters which he seems to be picking at.