PDA

View Full Version : Bangaii cardinals

Treebeard
01-07-2013, 04:02 AM
I have been considering adding three or four to my tank but from what I have researched the success rate of keeping them depends on if they are captive bred or wild caught.
I saw some at a LFS for $23 so I would assume they were wild.
Just wondering what kind of luck others have had in keeping them.

Steve...
01-07-2013, 04:27 AM
I have been also considering get a few in my tank later on. I have a 220, how many could I put in the tank? I heard the males can fight with each other. Could anyone give us some feedback?

subman
01-07-2013, 04:37 AM
I tried 3 but two paired up and the other was left out. I would assume most in the LFS are captive bred as they are very endangered in the wild , that being said I have seen a free wild caught ones over the years so its worth asking. I would never buy a wild caught one.

Treebeard
01-07-2013, 04:41 AM
Are they still alive? If so how long have had them?

I tried 3 but two paired up and the other was left out. I would assume most in the LFS are captive bred as they are very endangered in the wild , that being said I have seen a free wild caught ones over the years so its worth asking. I would never buy a wild caught one.

subman
01-07-2013, 04:55 AM
I've had mine for about a year now, one is a little dim and keeps ending up in the overflow lol they are very peaceful and seem to keep to themselves. I keep thinking I should get them a long spine urchin to hang out in.

subman
01-07-2013, 04:56 AM
My son has the third in his tank now and is very healthy and happy on its own.

mrhasan
01-07-2013, 05:05 AM
I think banggais are more prone to intestinal infections which cause all the problems. I have a pair of wilds (well most LFS have wilds unless they have a price tag over $40 and is not a big box store) since October (not long) but they are doing really well. Buying a pair would be the best case I presume. But you will have to determine it yourself using this method:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/how-to-determine-the-sex-of-banggai-cardinalfish

They are great fishes with awesome personalities. And mine always roam around the tank instead of hovering in just one spot. :D

howdy20012002
01-07-2013, 05:09 AM
Most in the stores are still wild caught
Unless the store says captive breed I would assume that they are wild
I would recommend sticking with a pair as any more and you are probably asking for trouble
I personally have over 30 as I am trying to breed them
In my experience, more than a pair and the numbers slowly dwindle due to aggression

subman
01-07-2013, 05:12 AM
Most in the stores are still wild caught
Unless the store says captive breed I would assume that they are wild....

That is good to know, I have only seen them marked as wild caught or not marked at all, I assumed wrongly. Thank you

howdy20012002
01-07-2013, 05:17 AM
There are limited numbers of captive bred banghai breeders around which is why most of the banghais in stores are still wild caught
I know that big ALS in edmonton has had limited success in breeding them and sells the offspring occassionally

Treebeard
01-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the advice.
I will need to give this some more thought.