PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some supplements

carriej
01-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Hi folks,

Looking to order some supplements for my reef tank, and I am a bit overwhelmed. So many brands and types, and with a big price range. I don't understand what the difference is between the 10$ stuff and the 50$ stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.. Keeping some softies and LPS.

martinmcnally
01-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Hi folks,

Looking to order some supplements for my reef tank, and I am a bit overwhelmed. So many brands and types, and with a big price range. I don't understand what the difference is between the 10$ stuff and the 50$ stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.. Keeping some softies and LPS.

You looking for actinic supplementation or white? LED I assume?

Here are 3 of the solutions we carry:
http://www.modularled.ca/actinics-pump-up-the-color/

11purewater
01-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Are you talking about water suppliments?

carriej
01-06-2013, 10:18 PM
OOPs.. Should have been more specific, yes! Water supplements! Calcium, etc... :)

EDIT.. However now I am on your web looking at LEDs.. lol

e46er
01-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Dry bulk powder chemicals will be Cheepest
Check out caco3reef.com he has bulk chems for sale I use his calcium
I use baked baking soda for alk. And have lots of mag left over from an old sponsor on the forum who no longer sells products.

martinmcnally
01-06-2013, 10:27 PM
OOPs.. Should have been more specific, yes! Water supplements! Calcium, etc... :)

EDIT.. However now I am on your web looking at LEDs.. lol

HaHa I thought light supplements for some reason.

intarsiabox
01-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Have you tested to see what your tank is deficient in?

carriej
01-06-2013, 10:52 PM
I am only using IO regular salt, so I figured while I am making an order I should pick up a few things to have here, I was not going to begin "dosing" anything until I gather a better understanding of what needs to be where.

I was just hoping that someone could recommend a good brand, as I see there are so many different ones out there. Liquids, powders, 2 step ones.. All a bit complicated.

11purewater
01-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Have you tested to see what your tank is deficient in?That's the rule of thumb,If you can't test for it don't add it:biggrin:

11purewater
01-06-2013, 10:55 PM
I think somebody else here said so:biggrin:

11purewater
01-06-2013, 10:57 PM
I know my softees like their Iodide.but check first.

intarsiabox
01-06-2013, 11:05 PM
I am only using IO regular salt, so I figured while I am making an order I should pick up a few things to have here, I was not going to begin "dosing" anything until I gather a better understanding of what needs to be where.

I was just hoping that someone could recommend a good brand, as I see there are so many different ones out there. Liquids, powders, 2 step ones.. All a bit complicated.

As mentioned before bulk dry additives are the cheapest way to go for Calc, Alk and mag. Lots of people use Eli at Caco3reef. As for liquid 2 part ESV B-Ionic is good but you are paying for water. IO is usually pretty good except for low calcium, you want to just look at IO's Reef Crystals and you may not need to dose anything with regular water changes.