PDA

View Full Version : Sebae question

kuatto
05-08-2004, 11:27 PM
I decided on a Sebae anemone and found one.After accimilating it all seems fine,except I noticed it spitting out brown colored crud from its mouth.Is this waiste or it's insides?It isn't completly white(bleached)still shade of tannish white with purple tips.I've read everything from they're the most difficult to keep to they're real easy,so I don't know what to believe.
I've placed it near the surface under mh with a gentle current and fed it some blended fish and a small piece of clam meat(which it spit out later).

Jim

DOO-E
05-09-2004, 12:20 AM
My mushrooms did the same thing it is just waste no need to worry

EmilyB
05-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Yah, the brown is poop. :biggrin:

Give it a chance to settle in, it may reject food at first. It will probably pick a corner where it can reach out and or up into flow and light.

kuatto
05-09-2004, 12:47 AM
Thanks,I feel better knowing its just crap :smile:
I know this thing has the potential of becoming too large for my tank,perfect exscuse to get the bigger tank..."but honey the anemone needs a bigger tank,look at the size of it" :mrgreen:

Jim

DOO-E
05-09-2004, 01:13 AM
How big is ur tank

kuatto
05-09-2004, 01:21 AM
55gal :frown:too narrow,only 12"front to back.
As soon as I sell my corner 44gal(just doing finishing touches)I'll work on buying a bigger tank,100+ gallons(135 would be nice,John :wink: )

Jim

Van down by the river
05-09-2004, 05:18 AM
The brown stuff may be waste, but as it is a new addition it may be zooxanthellae being expelled.

When photosynthetic corals and invertebrates are stressed or adjusting to environment changes they can expel brown mucus strands consisting of excess zooxanthellae. Even healthy corals will periodically expel older zooxanthellae.

sleeman
05-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Jim,
You should be fine. If it is as white as mine was, I would hold off feeding it for a few days. With it under the MH lighting now, it should start to brown up very fast. Once it gets the zooxanthelle back in it's system you will be able to pull out the ruler and watch it grow and grow and grow and grow .............
Did your clowns take to it right away? It took about 3 months for my T/R to finally move in. I think the breeder used cyanide to catch them in the tank :biggrin:
I am now to the point of not feeding it anymore as it seems to grow everytime it is fed. Whatever the clowns drag in or it catches is all it eats.

Cheers,

Al