PDA

View Full Version : Evergrow LED lights

kam
01-06-2013, 07:32 PM
I decided against the Fluval Marine & Reef LED lights as I have done some research, and been told, that they just won't suffice if I want to do coral down the road...

I am on a strict budget with my 75gal tank and have been looking into more lights but just don't want to completely cheap out. I have been doing some reading and the Evergrow lights seem to be decent..from what the specs say.
Does anyone have any info to shed some light on them or personal experiences they could share?

http://reefsupplycanada.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product-category.cgi?d=reef-supply-canada&pc=14363

Par ratings with the IT2040 (16" ballast) Im looking at going with the 2080 unless for some reason i could get away with the 2060

http://reefsupplycanada.com/images/d/4604/IT120-6.jpg

bkelly
01-06-2013, 08:02 PM
talk to 'mseepman' Mark here on canreef he has one I believe, also Nick the vendor here at Reefsupplycanada he deals with them

mseepman
01-06-2013, 09:01 PM
I have the 2040 but haven't got it up yet. Once I do, a full review will be forthcoming. My only comment would be, keep the reds to a minimum.

Doug
01-06-2013, 09:11 PM
I have the 120 over my 30g sps reef. Its a pretty good light. I dont have enough at the bottom for my corals nor enough spread for the 30in.

However the sps under the light itself are growing well and have good colour. I ran my SWC extreme led with it for awhile and their was a noticeable difference in the colour of the corals with the two lights. Im back to just the Evergrow now and keep rearranging to get the corals in a good spot.

Over a standard 20g, they would be perfect. Of course thats the bottom end unit as compared with the rest.

I really like their fans and no remote ballast. And the price is right. Plus Nick is very good to deal with.

bkelly
01-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Hi Doug, for The D120 how many watts do you think your using, I was thinking of one for my frag tank its 24 inch long but just thought if its 120W then there are more efficient options with LED out there for a bit more but less in the long run, I took off a 150W MH so looking at cutting down my power usage.
Did you get the full spectrum/90Degree?

Doug
01-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Hi Doug, for The D120 how many watts do you think your using, I was thinking of one for my frag tank its 24 inch long but just thought if its 120W then there are more efficient options with LED out there for a bit more but less in the long run, I took off a 150W MH so looking at cutting down my power usage.
Did you get the full spectrum/90Degree?

I have never measured wattage but would guess its 120 as stated? I assume thats at full intensity but again not sure. I also have a SWC Extreme running at 60w. Not as intense white as the D120 but its a pretty good fixture. My sps grew well under it as long as not to deep but that seems the same for my 120.

I aslo took a 150w fixture off my 20g tank when I bought the 60w unit. I never had much luck with the 150 and a 14k double ended bulb. My corals grew better with the led, but as mentioned limited depth and spread. On my 30g I almost need both which I assume is 180w. May as well run a 250 halide. :lol:

Doug
01-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Should add I,m sure the D120 would be plenty for my 30g, if it was not all sps corals.

kam
01-07-2013, 06:05 AM
So, does anyone have any thoughts on two D120s compared to just one of the new IT2080s? Cost is close

Oh and I mentioned my tank was a 75gal.. think its more of an 80, either way its 48"x18"x20"

Coasting
01-07-2013, 03:02 PM
I would do 2 120's over a tank that width. Cheaper. you wont get all the icky shadowing, Unless you feel the need to do everything digitally? I prefer mine simple... Its the same spread as the 120 i think so if you just do 1 on a tank that large... you're only lighting up half of it.
Except I ordered directly from the company in China, no need to pay the middle man extra.
http://www.ledgrowlights.cn/
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/317880

I have Evergrows Nova a8 over my 36" tank and LOVE it, comapy was great to deal with, they did it up and sent it out super quick. I went DIY with my colour choice as I wanted my blues too be deeper/darker, then what the standard is as well as adding in some red/green, and making my whites more then just 10,000k. Great growth on my monti's and lps, haven't bought any other sps yet. But I have faith these lights will grow anything.

kam
01-07-2013, 10:25 PM
I would do 2 120's over a tank that width. Cheaper. you wont get all the icky shadowing, Unless you feel the need to do everything digitally? I prefer mine simple... Its the same spread as the 120 i think so if you just do 1 on a tank that large... you're only lighting up half of it.
Except I ordered directly from the company in China, no need to pay the middle man extra.
http://www.ledgrowlights.cn/
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/317880

I have Evergrows Nova a8 over my 36" tank and LOVE it, comapy was great to deal with, they did it up and sent it out super quick. I went DIY with my colour choice as I wanted my blues too be deeper/darker, then what the standard is as well as adding in some red/green, and making my whites more then just 10,000k. Great growth on my monti's and lps, haven't bought any other sps yet. But I have faith these lights will grow anything.

yea I saw them on aliexpress.com but wasnt sure if i could trust that site
I wouldnt mind spending a little more and getting from a canadian retail at least.

Coasting
01-07-2013, 11:05 PM
i dont know about trusting ali express, after it rejected my visa and asked for my passport i left..... But I trust Evergrow. Did paypal directly to them, bypassed all the silly sites. Free shipping, all you pay is the customs/import fee when it gets to your front door.

mseepman
01-07-2013, 11:25 PM
I would work with Nick at Reefsupplycanada He is awesome to deal with and I think it's important to support Canadian when we can...otherwise we can't complain when something is hard to get.

Just my 2 cents though.

kam
01-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Did you guys go with just the white and blue lights or did you do a customer scheme?

Im completely new to LEDs so I wouldnt know where to be with adding my own color scheme

Coasting
01-08-2013, 01:19 AM
But all that canadian company seems to be doing is buying large amounts of stock coloured lights and marking up the price.
Even with the import fees (that negates what that site charges for shipping) its still cheaper to get it direct from the company that actually makes them.

I went DIY.
I wanted different whites, and darker blues then what the stock colours are, as well as adding red and green.
Ive attached the layout I did for the d120, then decided I wanted the nova and went that way instead.

kam
01-08-2013, 01:31 AM
whyd you decide to go with the nova instead?

Coasting
01-08-2013, 01:53 AM
Simplicity. I would have needed 2 d120's to get proper coverage on my tank, despite it only being 36". Had I only used 1 d120, it would have shaddowed in the middle, because of the center brace on my tank. So with 2 I would have to try and match the light on both and honestly, I'm lazy, its easier just dealing with 1 light. With the 8 circles it works well with my center brace.

I wouldn't recommend the Nova a8 for anything bigger then 36". If you like the 120 fixture (digital or not) I would get 2 for a 48" tank.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/TankStuffLight018.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/TankStuffLight019.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/TankStuffLight020.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/TankStuffLight021.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/TankStuffLight022.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/TankStuffLight023.jpg

kam
01-08-2013, 02:07 AM
im dealing with a 4 foot 80 gal. i was thinking two 120s

Im just not sure if I need to pick my own LEDs or go with whatever they send me...

Help plz :redface:

Coasting
01-08-2013, 02:13 AM
I think 2 is a good idea as well.

I think theres still a large debate about adding reds and greens. For me I went DIY because I wanted 440nm blue as the standard blue used is 450nm. I wanted a really deep blue look. Also allowed me to throw a few 6500k whites in there, which gives me more freedom for filling in that spectrum and getting those higher light corals (in my mind). I also wanted red and green for getting the full spectrum. All I know is I dont see anything wrong with what i've gotten and my corals are loving it!

Really its up to you. What look do YOU like?

Skimmerking
01-08-2013, 02:38 AM
so how much was that light if you dont mind me asking

AdamsB
01-08-2013, 03:42 AM
I've also been looking at LED for a 90 gallon I'm planning. Every option is pretty much needing at least 2 fixtures. even a 60 gallon would most likely need 2 due to the center brace. I was wondering though Coasting, you seem to have a lot of uv lights. or are they the 440 blues?

I've been reading about the pros and cons of adding reds and greens. I think I would go with the ratio you have.

Solderless DIY LEDs also look pretty good. They work out around 400 dollars per 16 inch length (based on a 30 second quick calculation inc;uding hanging) but I know 2 would let me keep LPS on my 90 gallon.

Have a look at http://rapidled.com/

And here is Canadian DIY enthusiast urujoey assembling the kit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rLFh3Q_FEA

As of yet I'm still undecided what to do. I've seen various chinese units on ebay, alibaba express which I'm also unsure about. I'll probably end up buying 2 Pharos units from AQ LED in Vancouver because of the customization. Sunrise, remote controll etc. The price is the only offput.

Or maybe I'll just get a 4 foot 10 bulb T5 HO unit from china for 200 bucks :twised:

Coasting
01-08-2013, 03:53 AM
What you see in the photos is not true colour. Me and the camera are having some arguments with trying to take pictures of the deep blue. In person those are a stunning deep blue. For the 6 lights on the blue dimmer per circle I have 3x450, 2x440, 1x420. In person only the 420 looks purpleish.

I feel the Nova a8 works great with the center brace on my tank. I dont notice any shadowing from the brace as I have it lined up so theres 4 circles on each side of the brace. I'm impatient and really cant be bothered to deal with 2 lights and Im loving the Nova. Super happy I went with it.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/novalayout.png

Skimmerking
01-12-2013, 03:28 AM
coasting what light is it again the nova

Coasting
01-12-2013, 03:31 AM
Mine is the Nova A8.

fixerupper
01-22-2013, 07:28 PM
[/IMG]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10520017/Aquarium%20Photos/1430.JPG

Just got this in from Nick at reefsupplycanada. The customer service he provides is nothing short of outstanding. It's the standard 'full spectrum' 120W LED setup for the Evergrow IT2040. Gotta say, so far I'm super impressed. It's currently installed over my office cube tank that's just getting started. I'll post some pictures after I figure out dropbox.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10520017/Aquarium%20Photos/1433.JPG

mseepman
01-23-2013, 03:35 AM
[/IMG]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10520017/Aquarium%20Photos/1430.JPG

Just got this in from Nick at reefsupplycanada. The customer service he provides is nothing short of outstanding. It's the standard 'full spectrum' 120W LED setup for the Evergrow IT2040. Gotta say, so far I'm super impressed. It's currently installed over my office cube tank that's just getting started. I'll post some pictures after I figure out dropbox.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10520017/Aquarium%20Photos/1433.JPG

Glad you are happy with your IT2040. I've always been super impressed with the service Nick gives as well! Looking forward to seeing pictures. I still have to hang my light.

Skimmerking
01-25-2013, 03:24 AM
Ok coasting im confused u stated in your post that it's a DIY but u bought it so can u ask for different LEDs in it

nrosdal
01-25-2013, 03:59 AM
yes, there are standard color ratios layed out for you or you can choose your own to what you think will look best.

Coasting
01-25-2013, 05:53 AM
Ok coasting im confused u stated in your post that it's a DIY but u bought it so can u ask for different LEDs in it

Its a DIY colour layout. So rather then getting stock colour 450 blues and 10,000k whites. I threw in a variety of other colours for a better spectrum to suit what I wanted.

Those photos are beyond oversized... and their getting quoted.

Skimmerking
01-28-2013, 04:07 AM
so would 2 of these work on a 36x36x21

seapony
02-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Any update on how people likeing these lights? I'm looking at getting 2 for my 48" 120gal, how are they for penetration? my tank is kind of deep, 24", and i want to make sure i have enough light at the bottom.

fixerupper
02-12-2013, 11:33 PM
I've got a single IT2040 on my 24"x24"x18" depth 'cube' and it's doing fine. I have some SPS on the bottom and they're doing great at 50% on both channels. At 24" I doubt you would have any problems. I've read over at Reef Central that the par ratings are impressive even up to 30" and I'm a believer. I'll be posting a review here soon.

AdamsB
02-13-2013, 04:14 AM
So I've got the 2080 and programming was pretty easy. Took a while but it's self explanatory for the most part. The I Lu problem I have is I can't figure out what the button on the bottom right of the remote controller does. The one marked *

Can anybody shed some light on this? Pun intended :)

Starry
02-21-2013, 06:41 PM
would 1 of the D120s work on a jbj 28 nano? my pc's and moon lights are toast and looking for a cost effective alternative.

nrosdal
02-22-2013, 01:22 AM
like would it work as in cover the area? Yes

or like could you fit it in the stock top? I donno :)

They are 16"x 8" x 2.75" if that helps.

Magma
03-16-2013, 01:03 AM
Has anyone ordered the d120s? Or anyone running them with pictures?

I am looking into ordering some of the DIY models. I have seen on other forums that with the reds, greens and purples they tend to look nicer in the tank.
They also seem to give the tank a more purpleish tone to the whole thing which is what im wanting. Does anyone have a suggestion on the layout I should be going for?

I have checked with the EverGrow site and they quoted me 180USD/unit shipped. I am looking at 3 units.

AdamsB
03-16-2013, 01:52 AM
What size is your tank? For 500 you could get the it2080 which I have now got to work for me. They now come with neutral whites instead of warm whites which is a lot nicer to the eye. Send an email to nick at reef supply Canada and he can advise you. Great to deal with and helped me through my issues. As far as customer support goes he's on par with J&L aquatics

Magma
03-16-2013, 01:53 AM
my tank is 72x20x20 and im trying to keep the costs down so around the 500-600$ range for the whole tank for lighting is my budget.

milou
03-29-2013, 10:59 PM
I'm thinking about ordering 1 D120 for my 90 gal custom 36 x 24 x 24 tall. Anyone has any feedback about the LED?

Magma
03-29-2013, 11:03 PM
I just got mine yesterday and have been running them for about 12hrs and they are really nice. My corals closed up for a little while but I have the units on about 20% power now and they are opening up and looking better than ever.

I'll post some screen shots and some more info later this week once I have had them a little longer.

milou
03-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Hi Magma, which LED did you get? I'm thinking of getting 1 unit of D120 full spectrum to light my 3 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft. If I can get away with only 1 unit that would be amazing.

Starry
03-30-2013, 12:40 AM
i went with a D120 on my jbj-28. im fairly impressed. corals look as good or better than they do under T5s in my 180. Too soon to comment on growth thou. have white about 20% and blue around 30. cant ever see needing to go higher than 50% per channel on this size tank.

Nasoblond
03-30-2013, 01:15 AM
I have a couple of them over my 90gal and all my corals are doing amazing....all my sps is really growing. I love them and they dont heat up my water like the mh did.

Magma
03-30-2013, 03:49 AM
Hi Magma, which LED did you get? I'm thinking of getting 1 unit of D120 full spectrum to light my 3 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft. If I can get away with only 1 unit that would be amazing.

I got the D120 Full Spectrum units, 3 of them for a 6ft tank, and they are bright! since my 6ft tank is not setup yet I put one of them over my 3ft tank at about 10" above the water and it lights up the tank a TON. I would not see you needing more than 1 unit over a 3ft tank.

I also ordered from reef supply canada, nick was great to deal with.

milou
03-30-2013, 06:53 AM
thank you guys for the feedback, i'm sold, will try to order 1 this week. Nick said he's expecting a shipment of D120 this week.

canadianbudz604
03-31-2013, 03:54 AM
Will one of these d120 full spectrums be enough light for my standard size 29g? I do have some easier sps and tons of soft coral and a couple different sps

Magma
03-31-2013, 03:57 AM
I wouldnt see why not, I think 1 fixture will light a 3ft tank with some shadows on the sides but not much.

I put 3 over my 6ft tank and there is no place in the tank thats dark.

canadianbudz604
03-31-2013, 04:08 AM
For what it's going to cost me in 4 months to replace my bulbs for my 4 bulb t5 I might as well go led. Just want to be sure it's going to be enough light. From the pics I've seen they put off a fair amount of light. More insight please

Magma
03-31-2013, 05:02 AM
I have been researching these since the start of January on another forum and various websites. Finally found a few people on another forum who actually use these and have for a while now.

One user has the D120's with just Blues and Whites as well as the D120 Full Spectrum model. Which was great I thought I would really find out which one was better and what the par numbers where.

Now take in mind PAR readings are LED's can be skewed really easy and some people wont even count the numbers. So I figured why not hear from the people who use them.

Heres what they found:
The 250 watt halides, 8x54 watt t5 with new, high end lamps, and the Taotronics (D120) or similar have all scored about the same PAR directly under the fixture.

Everyone who I talked to who owned the unit said the same things.
1. Super Bright
2. Noticed growth and change of corals within month of use
3. Fans run a little loud at times
4. Make sure you get the dimming versions!
5. Warranty and Customer service is GREAT!

I will also mention a few people said they run hot and they are hard to get the colour balance you want. I can say after having them they dont run hot at all and they dont take much to change the colour more to your liking. As for fan noise I dont notice it, its really not loud at all.

Few people have LED's burn out and the company has offered to repair them or just them out replacement LED's at no cost which seems to be what most people do as the units are really easy to open up and repair.

I also found out that it doesnt matter if you use the full spectrum or just the White/Blue combo coral growth is about the same. Some people dont like the more purplish tone the full spectrum ones give off. Myself I like that look so I went in that direction.

I have mine set about 10" off the water and set at 50%. It took a few days of slight increments to work up to 50% as I have heard from other users they can bleach corals out really easy.

Each unit has 2 power cords, one for blues one for whites and most people seem to run the whites for 8-10hrs and blues for 10-12hrs.

They dont have a controller for them but I have seen a few threads on RC about "hacking" a controller to use on them.

I dont really know what else to mention so if you need more info just ask I can point you in the direction of a really long read lol.

Basically summed up they are great units for a good price. Im a strong believer in the idea that not everything in this hobby has to cost a fortune in order for it to be good. These are going to do a great job on my tank as I already notice my corals are open wider and looking healthier.

msjboy
03-31-2013, 06:02 AM
I think this D120 is cheaper than a DIY kit.
( eg 55 LEDs alone would be about $100 for brigelux ones, throw in 2 power supplies, another $40 - 50 bucks,.... then an expensive heat sink, the fans, wires, solder, etc.

I think I will buy one myself for a frag tank.

msjboy

seapony
04-01-2013, 05:23 PM
I just ordered a IT2080 for my 120 gal. I can't wait tell it gets here ill put a review up as soon as I can

banditpowdercoat
01-14-2014, 02:43 AM
I cant find the Nova A8 on those links that were posted. Did they discontinue them?

I'm scrapping my RapidLED abortion build for something like the A8 or D120 Think the A8 I could use 2 but the D120 I will need 3. 60x24x24 tank.

Coasting
01-14-2014, 02:47 AM
I ordered my a8 directly from evergrow. No middle man. Email them and ask.

banditpowdercoat
01-14-2014, 02:55 AM
Thx, was there a color pattern you asked for or did they have a good combo figured out?

nrosdal
01-14-2014, 03:20 AM
The A8 is an awesome and powerful light. I do like the front to back coverage it gives being 11" deep as opposed to most other fixtures that are narrower. If you do decide to go that way i can email you a layout from when we used to sell them to use for reference. Or if you look back in this thread Coasting put up a layout that may need a bit of work but is an ok starting point.

banditpowdercoat
01-14-2014, 03:33 AM
The A8 is an awesome and powerful light. I do like the front to back coverage it gives being 11" deep as opposed to most other fixtures that are narrower. If you do decide to go that way i can email you a layout from when we used to sell them to use for reference. Or if you look back in this thread Coasting put up a layout that may need a bit of work but is an ok starting point.

That would be awesome Nick. You have used them? How come not selling them anymore? And personal opinion on a softie tank, 60x24x24 Would 2 A8 be perfect or overkill? And am I right that I would need 3 D120's as there only 16" long and narrow, correct?

I don't get a lot of computer research time and fall off on a lot of the threads. But I am just fed up with my DIY Cree/Multichip lights.

dan@banditpowdercoat.com

Coasting
01-14-2014, 03:36 AM
. Or if you look back in this thread Coasting put up a layout that may need a bit of work but is an ok starting point.

Oh gee thanks....

paddyob
01-14-2014, 04:00 AM
I have the bare bones d120s. Two over my 4' 70g.

Looks great!

My rbta never bubbled under my t5. But it loves this.

nrosdal
01-14-2014, 04:03 AM
That would be awesome Nick. You have used them? How come not selling them anymore? And personal opinion on a softie tank, 60x24x24 Would 2 A8 be perfect or overkill? And am I right that I would need 3 D120's as there only 16" long and narrow, correct?

I don't get a lot of computer research time and fall off on a lot of the threads. But I am just fed up with my DIY Cree/Multichip lights.

dan@banditpowdercoat.com

They were not a big seller due to most people don't need that much power (it would be overkill for most sps tanks with the area it covers and how much wattage is available in it) but more is better then not enough. For a softie tank 3 d120 is tons and would even allow for most sps in the top 2/3 of the tank. But the a8 is a beauty and would allow for sps on sand and burnt stuff everywhere else if you have on full.

Oh gee thanks....
haha, its all personal preference. Some people order standard layout from me and want 15 extra white or blues and switch the fixture to look either like a urine color or make a listerine color tank and are happy when i wouldn't be.

SteveCGY
01-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Anyone ever buy from this guy? His prices seem cheap

http://m.ebay.ca/itm?itemId=330900426092

tim the toolman
01-14-2014, 04:54 PM
I have 2 IT2080 running over my 180 gal and they are great. I get full coverage at about 6" above the water line. I actually had to move them up a little because it seemed my fish were afraid to come to the surface due to how bright they were lol. I am mostly running lps but I do have a few sps that are doing just fine. Programming them was a breeze and I really like the fact they throw in a remote. Also another nice part is that one remote runs both fixtures so I just keep the second remote as a spare. When you consider the fact that companies like AI charge a premium for a controller or a remote I think this is a great incentive.
I also should add that I ordered these fixtures from Nick and the customer service was A+.
I did not use the stock mounting fixtures because I did not want to hang them but due to the large lip surrounding the underside of the fixture it made it very simple to DIY a mount over the tank.
To date I have still never ran them at 100%. I think at peak my colour channel runs at 100 and the whites only get to 75.
I will throw a couple pics up following this post.

tim the toolman
01-14-2014, 05:20 PM
So just a couple pics.

This is the fixture at 45% white and 50% colours.
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q551/timmycats/IMG_0869_zps49ae157b.jpg

Here is 75% and 80%
/http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q551/timmycats/IMG_0871_zpsf9b8d6c2.jpg
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q551/timmycats/IMG_0878_zps9ca11085.jpg

And my stupid simple mounting system
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q551/timmycats/IMG_0875_zpsa77e2d17.jpg
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q551/timmycats/IMG_0877_zps98688438.jpg

badAZZlars
01-14-2014, 09:12 PM
I have 2 IT2080 running over my 180 gal and they are great. I get full coverage at about 6" above the water line. I actually had to move them up a little because it seemed my fish were afraid to come to the surface due to how bright they were lol. I am mostly running lps but I do have a few sps that are doing just fine. Programming them was a breeze and I really like the fact they throw in a remote. Also another nice part is that one remote runs both fixtures so I just keep the second remote as a spare. When you consider the fact that companies like AI charge a premium for a controller or a remote I think this is a great incentive.
I also should add that I ordered these fixtures from Nick and the customer service was A+.
I did not use the stock mounting fixtures because I did not want to hang them but due to the large lip surrounding the underside of the fixture it made it very simple to DIY a mount over the tank.
To date I have still never ran them at 100%. I think at peak my colour channel runs at 100 and the whites only get to 75.
I will throw a couple pics up following this post.

Do you think that you could have gotten away with 2 of the IT2060's on your tank? I have a 6' 125 gallon that I am starting to buy parts for and am considering these.

Coasting
01-14-2014, 09:40 PM
I only run my A8 at about 30% over my 36" tank. Its not as high as some people hang their lights either. I imagine I could get a larger spread if I lifted the light up higher, and would still have lots of power to turn the lights up higher.
I started it at 5-10% then slowly turned both colours up... then kinda forgot about doing that, and its been left at 30% ever since (been up over a year now) and since everything growing like weeds on steroids I feel no need to turn it up any higher.
My colour selection is posted on page 2 or 3 of this topic...
I picked them because that's what "I" wanted.

The only algae I have overgrowing in my tank is bubble... and coralline :|

This is one of the pics I took last year with the blues hiked to 100%, whites off, probably wrong camera settings.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank%20-%20SW/blue100.jpg

tim the toolman
01-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Do you think that you could have gotten away with 2 of the IT2060's on your tank? I have a 6' 125 gallon that I am starting to buy parts for and am considering these.

I dont think so. I liked the it2080 because it was 32" long instead of 24" which for me meant that with a 72" tank and 3" eurobracing i would be able to have a 1" gap from each eurobrace and a 1" gap between the 2 fixtures. Just seemed to fit my mental vision of what i wanted for my tank. Also i am not sure if the 24" would cover 36" fully but im sure nick can answer that question for you.
Here is a nice video of a guy hanging a 2060 over a 36" tank though. And it seems to definitely do the job.

► 2:27► 2:27
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLXKq0i9CHw
Nov 17, 2013 - Uploaded by johnnytsanggti
Just got my it2060 and this is first time switching on!!!what a light!! Blows my aqua rays away ...

Palmer
03-17-2014, 03:31 PM
I have four D120's over my grow out frag tank system and a 2080 over my display. Out of all of them the only light that replaced another light (in this case MH) was the 2080 over my display. The D120's went on new tanks that were not cycled. My display is doing great and I do find that in some of my corals the growth appears a bit different in how it grows with the LED vs the MH but just to a minor extent. In my frag tank it has been a bit of a WIP but primarily because the system needed to cycle. I think moving corals from one light source to another and to a new tank that has have <6 months to stabilize is a major stressor. I have coral that are doing well now in the tank but the exact same coral did not survive once first introduced.

Karsten
03-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Is there anyone in Calgary or surrounding area that would let me come take a look at there Evergrow lighting set up? I am looking into replacing my T5s with LED's but I like a deep blue color that radions, and mitras cannot make. my tank is 48x18x16 deep.

I like the idea of these lights. I would just like to see them in action first.

Palmer
03-20-2014, 12:10 AM
Sure your welcome to check my set up out just send me a pm

milou
03-20-2014, 12:47 AM
I'm still looking for a used IT2080 for my 3ft x 2ft x 2ft height. I used to run a D120 but it was too dark and too blue for my tank so I sold it and replaced it with a 6 bulb Teklight. I'm still curious how this IT2080 would light my tank. So if you have any laying around please give me a shout.

SteveCGY
03-20-2014, 01:23 AM
Is there anyone in Calgary or surrounding area that would let me come take a look at there Evergrow lighting set up? I am looking into replacing my T5s with LED's but I like a deep blue color that radions, and mitras cannot make. my tank is 48x18x16 deep.

I like the idea of these lights. I would just like to see them in action first.

Yeah I have the it2060 and you can take a look, just send a pm

Mikeylikes
03-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Can't seem to find Nova A8's either. Think they are discontinued.

Was considering 2 customized. Now I see that the IT2012 might just suit my needs for a 60x26x24 tank. Do they output same power as the a8's? Enuf spread to cover tank? Thoughts?

Planning to house SOS as well once tank is built.

Nick: anyway you can send me the layout of your full spectrum IT2012? Just Pam's you my addy.

I hear rumours Evergrow is coming out with a new series of lights soon...

nrosdal
03-23-2014, 11:11 PM
Not really discontinued, they just have so much output for the area that they cover that they never really caught on. Each one put out i think 240watts and covers around 24"x36" which is quite alot more light then almost anyone with a tank less then 4ft deep needs. SO as opposed to getting one and running it at 20-30% most people would rather get one that is more spread out and can run in a higher range and also cover more area for the same $.

I think the 2012 is perfect fize for a 5ft tank and can be used on 4ft if you don't mind a bit of spillage over the sides of tank.

Yes there is a new light with some cool options coming down the pipe. But they have been working on it about a year now and it keeps getting pushed back every time they find a new option to add or internal component that can be better. SO i don't expect to see them for at least 3-6months. When they are finalizing the new design i should get one around a month ahead of time and will run it to see how it goes and let everyone know it is getting close at that point.

I will email you the layout when i am back in office later and for now you can just check the product listing as it should have the layout (at least color wise and # of what color). Will send exact layout so you can see where everything sits when i get a chance today.

Hope this helps.

Mikeylikes
03-25-2014, 06:19 PM
cool and thanks Nick.

I am still waiting for the info btw.

cheers

nrosdal
03-26-2014, 06:23 AM
No Problem, info should be in your box :)

Karsten
03-28-2014, 08:55 PM
After reading this forum and seeing Steve and Palmer's evergrow set ups I think I will order a couple of these lights to play with over my display.

Thank you to everyone who supplied input.

SteveCGY
03-28-2014, 08:59 PM
After reading this forum and seeing Steve and Palmer's evergrow set ups I think I will order a couple of these lights to play with over my display.

Thank you to everyone who supplied input.

Glad we could help

trilinearmipmap
04-10-2014, 12:59 AM
My Maxspect G2 (3 years old) just had its fan die and I am thinking of getting an Evergrow D120. I have no canopy. What are the options for mounting the D120 on rails on top of the tank.

H2o2
04-10-2014, 04:58 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=104725 I think if you go through this post u will see how Nick ( Reef Supply Canada ) mounted them on rails

mihaivapler
04-10-2014, 05:31 AM
Can't seem to find Nova A8's either. Think they are discontinued.

Was considering 2 customized. Now I see that the IT2012 might just suit my needs for a 60x26x24 tank. Do they output same power as the a8's? Enuf spread to cover tank? Thoughts?

Planning to house SOS as well once tank is built.

Nick: anyway you can send me the layout of your full spectrum IT2012? Just Pam's you my addy.

I hear rumours Evergrow is coming out with a new series of lights soon...
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Marine-saltwater-dimmable-2012-nova-a8_1748789945.html?s=p

Karsten
04-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Well I bit the bullet and ordered a couple IT2060 off of Nick @ Reef Supply Canada.

I am just counting down the days until they arive!

Karsten
07-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Well I have had my custom Ever Grows up for a month and everything is working out great! I love the colors I picked out for them (with Eli's help):lol:. They are mostly blue and purple and a few whites. 5:1. I tried taking a picture but it doesnt really look right. I would recomend these lights, and Nick.

banditpowdercoat
07-15-2014, 10:35 PM
5 months or so on my D120's and loving them too. Will be modding them for 0-10v control soon. Wanted to make sure there working well before I open them up. And 2 over my 60" tank is ok, but not enough if you have SPS etc. I'm a softie tank

spedly
08-10-2014, 04:46 PM
I ordered an IT2080 this morning from Reef Supply Canada. I'm very excited to receive it and set it up. I have scoured the Internet and have not been able to find any bad reviews. I don't think it's the most attractive fixture but I don't want to spend twice the amount for aesthetics.

spedly
08-30-2014, 01:24 AM
My lights arrived today. They're for a new project I'm working on so it'll be a few weeks before I actually mount them. But I couldn't wait to check them out and give them little test.

WOW! Holy crap! Is that ever bright! I'm pretty new to the saltwater hobby so I didn't really have a point of reference other than the Current USA fixture I have on my FOWLR. You can't compare the two fixtures. The Evergrow obviously is in a totally different postal code.

For fun I took the Current USA off the tank and then held the Evergrow above it. In just the few seconds that I held it there I was amazed at how natural it looked. My Current USA is quite cool in terms of colour. I don't really like it but hey, it is what it is.

Anyways so far I'm super happy with it. Gives me some additional motivation to get this new 150 up and at 'em.

theokie
08-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Just wondering what you guys think about using a D120 on a 18x18x12d coral quarantine tank. I've Diy d all my other lights but really don't have the time to build a new fixture.

Magma
08-30-2014, 05:07 PM
I have the D120's I have 3 over a 72x20x20 tank and the corals love it and grow like mad. Just be sure to set them low and slowly ramp up, I burned out a few corals when I first got them.

garwood
12-24-2014, 12:37 AM
hi, any news on those new lights. getting close to the time for buying lights and i am thinking the 2080 for a 36l x x24wx 20h tank. think this is good size? thanx

garwood
12-24-2014, 12:40 AM
Not really discontinued, they just have so much output for the area that they cover that they never really caught on. Each one put out i think 240watts and covers around 24"x36" which is quite alot more light then almost anyone with a tank less then 4ft deep needs. SO as opposed to getting one and running it at 20-30% most people would rather get one that is more spread out and can run in a higher range and also cover more area for the same $.

I think the 2012 is perfect fize for a 5ft tank and can be used on 4ft if you don't mind a bit of spillage over the sides of tank.

Yes there is a new light with some cool options coming down the pipe. But they have been working on it about a year now and it keeps getting pushed back every time they find a new option to add or internal component that can be better. SO i don't expect to see them for at least 3-6months. When they are finalizing the new design i should get one around a month ahead of time and will run it to see how it goes and let everyone know it is getting close at that point.

I will email you the layout when i am back in office later and for now you can just check the product listing as it should have the layout (at least color wise and # of what color). Will send exact layout so you can see where everything sits when i get a chance today.

Hope this helps.
hi, any news on those new lights. getting close to the time for buying lights and i am thinking the 2080 for a 36l x x24wx 20h tank. think this is good size? thanx

The Guy
12-28-2014, 10:40 AM
I just ordered the Evergrow IT2060 programmable fixture from Reefsupplies.ca :canada:. I think it's the best bang for the buck. The warranty is 3 years and all handled in Canada, no oversea shipping if you have an issue.

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Evergrow-IT2060-Controllable-Full-Spectrum-LED-24-Light.html

I will post some pictures once I get it and set it up. I'm putting it over my 33 gallon fun tank should work well. :biggrin:

maron6977
02-24-2015, 03:37 AM
How's the new lights ? I'm thinking of going with the evergrow!

navbc
02-24-2015, 03:50 AM
Does any one know any other suppliers in Canada carries d120 controllable led as reefsupply.ca don't have it in stock thanks

Reef Supplies
02-24-2015, 10:43 AM
Does any one know any other suppliers in Canada carries d120 controllable led as reefsupply.ca don't have it in stock thanks

Hi

The d120 are now the 2120 and we indeed have stock. Also its not reefsupply.ca, it's reefsupplies.ca, more specifically http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Evergro-D2120-V2-Dimmable-120-Watt-Full-Spectrum-LED-Light-16-Light.html

Thanks

navbc
02-24-2015, 02:51 PM
My apology for the mistake. On the lighting model it should be 48" it2012 not the d120 and sorry about company name

Reef Supplies
02-24-2015, 05:25 PM
My apology for the mistake. On the lighting model it should be 48" it2012 not the d120 and sorry about company name

Yupp, All out. The largest we currently have left it stock is the 2080. Our shipment will be in as soon as China gets back to work...everyone is still hung-over form their holiday.