PDA

View Full Version : PH Pen

darb
01-06-2013, 03:15 PM
What is a good PH pen to get for around $100?

gregzz4
01-06-2013, 10:55 PM
I'd recommend you buy a monitor instead of a pen

I bought this Milwaukee Waterproof pH pen (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/mil-ph51/Milwaukee+Waterproof+pH+Tester.html) a year ago @ Christmas
Calibrating was a pain and not adjustable
I didn't start using it until May, stored it as per instructions, and by Fall it was pooched
The probe is not covered by warranty and too expensive to replace ($50 shipped), so I tossed it

If I ever want something portable, I'll get one of these American Marine pH Monitors (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/pp-mph/American+Marine+Pinpoint+pH+Monitor.html) instead. Good quality probe used and replacements aren't too expensive
Calibration is easy (I've read)

michaelis88
01-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Same as above

Aquattro
01-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Honestly, I think pH is not something that you need to worry about. You end up chasing numbers. If you have proper salinity and are not using CO2 in a reactor, your pH is at an acceptable value. I haven't checked pH in 8 years.

JetJumper
01-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Honestly, I think pH is not something that you need to worry about. You end up chasing numbers. If you have proper salinity and are not using CO2 in a reactor, your pH is at an acceptable value. I haven't checked pH in 8 years.

If you are dosing and the doses get screwed up for some strange reason (Pump failure, etc.. , your pH will change for sure. ALK + MAG + CAL all have an effect on the pH

***Disclaimer****
(If you are actively monitoring your other levels, then yes pH is something I don't think you need to monitor. Just wanted to toss that extra information out there.)

Aquattro
01-10-2013, 01:08 PM
If you are dosing and the doses get screwed up for some strange reason (Pump failure, etc.. , your pH will change for sure. ALK + MAG + CAL all have an effect on the pH

While that could happen, causing a minimal change, the first thing to do after a dosing pump failure (where it fails on) would be a large water change, restoring any shift in pH. If it fails off, and Ca drops to 350, still not a parameter that I would worry about. I did this number chasing game for months when I started, and I ended up fixing my pH problem by throwing away the meter :) My tank's doing ok without it, AND I use CO2 in a reactor.

So sure, if you've got the money to spend and the time to chase numbers, go ahead, but I can think of a lot of other things to spend the money on (like repairing that broken dosing pump :))

FragIt Dan
01-11-2013, 02:55 AM
I 2nd Aquatro's comments, unless you are using CO2, chasing pH is a waste of time and money. It will drive you crazy. If your dKh is fine, then so is your pH.
Dan

darb
01-12-2013, 03:12 PM
admittedly, I am just a n00b (and probably always be one) but don't see myself dosing with CO2 in the immediate future. Possibly dosing 2 part or kalk via ato when I am ready.

But that aside, isn't a PH check and good general overall health indicator of the tank?

Aquattro
01-12-2013, 03:34 PM
But that aside, isn't a PH check a good general overall health indicator of the tank?
no, not really. And honestly, a pH probe should be calibrated before every use. If you don't, you get slight creeping in value. The you start trying to fix stuff by adding baking soda or viegar, then you get other problems, and it can turn into a nightmare.
A good overall check is sit in front of the tank for a few minutes and watch your livestock. Soon you'll know happy corals vs not happy.
Doing regular water changes will keep things stable. If something dies, remove it right away. Don't dose things you aren't testing for. Follow some simple guidelines and your pH will stay fine.