PDA

View Full Version : Crash.

slats35
01-06-2013, 07:32 AM
I noticed that my Scott's wrasse didn't look good at all!! I just built a new sump 5 days ago and now I think my fish were stressed. So u decided to put in some herbtana. Helps with ich. Thinking that my fish were stressed and were going to present with ich. So I put a couple capfuls. I then notice that all my fish were doing horrible. Now I'm changing water at 1:40 am. Fml.

lpsreefer
01-06-2013, 07:39 AM
What kind of silicone did you use to build your sump?

slats35
01-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Tremco. Pro glaze. Has no mold inhibitors. 100% silicone

slats35
01-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Can a person over dose with herbtana. I may have done that. Fish are swimming around again. 15 gallon water change so far. ( I have a 120gallon). I might of caught this early enough that maybe only 1 loss so far. I hope. The original fish that looked sick. I dosed herbtana and the rest of the fish were not looking good. Now with the water change. They are swimming around again. I hope that I caught it fast enough.

lpsreefer
01-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Glad to hear. Maybe do another water change in the morning.

jtbadco
01-06-2013, 01:54 PM
In the future I would try to avoid panic reactions like that.

IMO you only treat for what you know to be happening, not what you suspect. Treating a tank with anything without proof that there is need is dangerous....as you found out.

If one fish has already died I would do a much larger water change.....like 30-50%

Quote from the Tremco data sheet...

'PROglaze is not recommended........in continuous submerged applications'

Not sure why?
HTH

Ginu
01-07-2013, 01:05 AM
I would stop using that sump ASAP... I do recall that silicone is meant for windows and not aquarium use...

howdy20012002
01-07-2013, 02:06 AM
Ginu
pure silicon is fine and is what is required to build fishtanks.
why most silicones are dangerous is because they have anit-mold additives which will kill your tank.

slats35
01-07-2013, 03:05 AM
Would that be the reason my tank is cloudy. The silicone does not say it inhibits mold. And does not say on it that it can not be used for water applications.

howdy20012002
01-07-2013, 03:26 AM
I would call Tremco and call them to find out about its use and see if it contains anti-mildew.
from what I understand, most tubes of silicone contain anti-mildew addtives.
general rule of thumb for silicone, don't use it unless it says safe for aquarium use.
it is just not worth the possible problems to save a few bucks.
also, I don't know how long you let it cure..that could be problematic as well.

slats35
01-07-2013, 03:34 AM
I put water in it last Tuesday 4-5 pm. And changed the water 5-6 times. Leaving water in it over night. Then I put it into use on Friday night around 7. Or so. I also plumbed a new reactor as well. With GFO in it. That is the only change that was done besides the new sump!! By the way all the fish made it except 2. I have my skimmer and 3 small bags of carbon going. Hoping to get it to clear up and remove any contaminants. I have done 2 water changes. 15 gallons a peice. I have a 120 gallon tank. Don't want to take too much out with the fish recovering.

MKLKT
01-07-2013, 03:37 AM
How long did the silicone cure for?

slats35
01-07-2013, 03:40 AM
Trying to give as much information as I can. Want to hear some different ideas. I also came home that nite and when I saw that fish all fu..ed up I treated with herbtana and put a five gallon pail of fresh new water with prime and stability in it. I'm thinking maybe too many chemicals at once? And the only reason I put herbtana was because the fish was showing same symptoms as the last time my tank crashed. ( a long time ago). It was ich then and I think I may have over done it and panicked.

slats35
01-07-2013, 03:43 AM
Like I said I put water in it so the silicone if it needed to leech anything it would do it in the water. That was for 3 days. It sat dry for 1day before

scubadawg
01-07-2013, 05:59 AM
Needs min of 48 hours to cure

daniella3d
01-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Herbatana can kill fish for sure. One person in the reefaction forum recently lost most of her fish to this treatment. It is removing oxygen from the water so proper aeration is very very important.

Plus it is a treatement that is not efficient so no point using it. There is no reef safe treatement that will be efficiently killing parasites.

Be very carefull with Prime and using medication because Prime can bind with some med. Prime remove oxygen from the water at high temperature and herbatana as well. There is not a lot of oxygen in 5 gallons of water, even without med.

For exemple, you cannot use Cupramine with Prime as it will bind with the amine in Cupramine and will release copper into a toxic form.