PDA

View Full Version : Fish fight help

Aysha
01-06-2013, 01:32 AM
My clownfish bit chunks out of my keyhole angels head.
What medicine should I go pick up my keyhole? melafix? there are so many options!

My fish are jerkwads.That is all.

Aysha
01-06-2013, 01:53 AM
From what I can tell, Keyhole has a taste for soft corals, frogspawn, candy cane ect. My small clownfish 2inches long likes to host in the frog spawn as of last month. on closer inspection I noticed the frogspawn was mad and the bite marks were suspisiously small clownfish sized. My first reaction was to blame the large clown because she has killed small fish in the past.

Great track record when half my fish are known to kill other fish and the second half is right on track to join them.

My tank is not overstocked I have currently 1 fish per 20 gallons of water. I axed adding more fish after my dottyback killed my hectors goby of 8 months 12 hours after introduction. Is there a way to minimize aggression in this tank?

90lbs of live rock 80 gallons of water inc sump 60 gallons w/o sump
parameters are good.

Ginu
01-06-2013, 04:25 AM
Hi Aysha,
The one thing I can recommend is to read, read, read and when you think you're done reading I suggest reading done more.

Typically angels are not coral safe or how some market them as "reef safe with caution"

Dotybacks can be very aggressive even towards big fish, so careful with them.

I have all peaceful fish in my two tanks, but I can attest that my female clown and kole tang are docile when they are well fed. I got myself a autofeeder which feeds twice a day, usually at 12 when the LED's first turn on and the funny thing is the fish wait where the food drops in and it also feeds smaller ammount around 5 pm followed by frozen around 9pm. I also make sure nori is always on the clip as well... It's amazing how aggressive fish can get when hungry.

Feeding often, but small, takes some aggression off, I suggest starting there 1st.
Now another aspect to be careful with is frogspawn and clowns... I've read cases where clowns got sick from the frogspawn and also clowns can be too rough on them.

Also remember always read and research before adding certain species together, regardless of what the lfs says...as its your coin and time invested.

Aysha
01-06-2013, 08:45 AM
I'm cool with the fish eating the coral, I knew that was a possibility and I don't pay very much for my corals.

I didn't know frogspawn could make my clowns sick! I guess it's off to get them an anemone. I was under the impression from many keepers that dottybacks were a great beginner species, Boy! did I learn!!
They get NLS twice a day with supplemental feedings of nori,frozen foods and repeshy fish food but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it!

I have an auto feeder but I hate that SOB :mrgreen:

mrhasan
01-06-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm cool with the fish eating the coral, I knew that was a possibility and I don't pay very much for my corals.

I didn't know frogspawn could make my clowns sick! I guess it's off to get them an anemone. I was under the impression from many keepers that dottybacks were a great beginner species, Boy! did I learn!!
They get NLS twice a day with supplemental feedings of nori,frozen foods and repeshy fish food but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it!

I have an auto feeder but I hate that SOB :mrgreen:

Dottybacks are possibly the worst reef-safe fish (atleast in my short experience). They are well off with meaner fishes where they have to save their own tails instead of attacking others. They are just FREAKING mean! Mine made my wrasse jumped within hours and then started hunting the firefish.

In my book, they are the WORST fish ever!

Aysha
01-06-2013, 09:10 AM
I named mine Sashimi...I wish I could catch him.

mrhasan
01-06-2013, 09:11 AM

My tank is 20gallon so it wasn't a big deal. They are very curious fish and hence with proper trap; took me like 5mins to cage it up.

Ginu
01-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure why dotybacks are often called great "starter" fish as I've heard horror stories before.

In regards to feelings, it sounds like you have it unde control, so it's about getting the right fish mix in th tank and you're set.
I'd personally get rid of the angel and dotty and look into getting peaceful fish only :)
Another problem is also just pure fish behavior... Some fish can be model citizens and the same fish in someone elses tank can be just a plain pain in the ass regardless...

Also clowns can be quite aggressive :( what type of clown is it? Some clowns can be quite aggressive as well. It is a possibility to get them slightly less aggressive if they are paired, however they will always be overprotective towards thir so called home. I have a black ocellaris pair and they both attack and bite me if I go close to their anemone.

Aysha
01-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Honestly if I could catch these fish I'd trade 'em for some quieter ones. I have an ocellaris pair. The older is a nasty little jerkface. The younger didn't have much personality other than the older ones shadow for 8 months, all of a sudden the truth comes out!

fishoholic
01-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Time will heal the wounds there is no need for melafix. Also while melafix works wonders for FW fish it killed my SW fish, and I used the melafix for SW.

Aysha
01-07-2013, 07:39 PM
I've made the decision to remove all 4 boogers and replace them with something peaceful. Anyone wanna lend me a fish trap?

mrhasan
01-07-2013, 07:41 PM
I've made the decision to remove all 4 boogers and replace them with something peaceful. Anyone wanna lend me a fish trap?

Use the bottle trick. Should be good enough.

Aysha
01-07-2013, 07:42 PM
I think my fish are too big to fit in a bottle trap...

delslo
01-07-2013, 09:45 PM

Best call ever!!!

Aysha
01-11-2013, 03:37 AM
So caught the clowns first try with my net. drained most of my tank to catch the keyhole, and the whole tank down to the SAND to catch my dottyback. he was such a jerk he wouldn't swim to the deep pools in the tank he was flapping about in the sand...fracking fish!!!

I am now working on a new stocklist. my only must is an ebli angel I freaking love those things.

Ginu
01-11-2013, 04:09 AM
Be careful with angels if you ever plan on having corals and clams. I don't know a ton about them but from my research a elbi angel has a higher chance to pick on corals and clams if you compare them with flame angels and the poplar coral beauties.

Angels are beautiful fish though.

I suggest making a stocking list of what you want and go from there. Find out the compatibility of each species, etc...
If you like bigger fin, I suggest a kole tang or a tomini :) (only one from the bristle tooth family can be kept at once) I have a kole and I absolutely love that fish, tons of personality along with blennies and gobies.

Aysha
01-11-2013, 05:19 AM
I don't so much mind coral eating, the keyhole had to go because he ate everything and tried to eat the clownfish!!! and vice versa...

I would like
Ebli angel
fire fish
hectors/rainfords goby
Cardinal fish pair
debating on trying clowns again with a small cbb pair.
mandarin goby
starfish
cleaner shrimp.
blennys

I love gobys really and would love to find out which I can keep with which. I'm a huge fan of small fish. I wouldn't put the smallest tang in my setup because a cube tank is still a cube tank.

no plans on clams (lol) can't afford them.