PDA

View Full Version : Tunze ATO - Turning off power

Seriak
01-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Every week when I do a water change I unplug my Tunze ATO so I don't hear the alarm when my pump is off. However, I always unplugged the cable from the device as opposed to trying to reach the wall plug behind the tank. DON'T DO THIS. Not sure if this is common knowledge, but after a year of doing this, my ATO is now having issues with coming back on when I plug it back in. I definitely need to rig a switch to turn this off and on before I ruin it completely.

craigwmiller
01-04-2013, 12:50 AM
The electrical in-rush that the Tunze ATO sees when you plug it in will be the same if via AC plug or DC plug, so I'm not sure this has caused a problem with your device (I can't guarantee it is not, however, as electronics can fail in many ways).

What I can confirm is a similar experience I had last week when my Tunze ATO started beeping by itself in a power cycle loop. I was able to make the Tunze reboot by simply wiggling or twisting the power cable, and sometimes it would not power on at all if the angle was right.

After closer inspection there was a very small amount of buildup (possibly corrosion) on the contact inside the Tunze (not the pin, but the side pressure contact). If you look, you might be surprised at how little metalic material makes contact between the plug and the receptacle.

To fix, I took an exacto knife and gently scraped/scratched/rubbed the middle of the contact (the sub-millimeter area) where the electrical contact actually happens... and presto all is fixed, and I can't force it to reboot anymore.

Cleaning this contact is now in my monthly maintenance procedure as I don't want my ATO to fail :wink:

Hope this helps (you or someone else -- it sure helped me).

Seriak
01-04-2013, 12:54 AM
Thanks I will look at this right away

daplatapus
01-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Hmmm, this is interesting. Ever since my optic sensor has been on the fritz I've been unplugging and plugging that cord to top up my sump and using the purge cycle to do the work rather than get a measuring cup to add the top off. :) Hopefully I haven't screwed anything up. :redface:

Rogue951
01-04-2013, 08:25 PM
had the ATO for 2 years and i pull the plug from the unit. never damaged it yet. were you pulling that hard?

that being said I now use an americanDJ switch panel for my on/off needs for pumps and add on equipment.