PDA

View Full Version : running apex off different routers.

windcoast reefs
01-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Hey everyone,

So im still trying to get my apex running so i can access it outside the house. I have it hooked into a airport express which is wirelessly linked to my main router which is running off the house router (telus). For some reason I cant get my port forwarding to work. Is this because I need a port forward on each router, or do I just need it on the main house router?

Also I have a few more questions about what I put in the network setup part of my apex.

Are the following correct?

DHCP: disabled

My net mask: 255.255.255.0? This just showed up and I have yet to change it

Gateway: Is this the house router or my main router?

Primary DNS: What should I be entering for this?

Also Do I need to do a port forward on all my routers?

daniella3d
01-04-2013, 03:00 AM
YOu have 2 routers? why not use a game adapter instead and connect that to your main router only?

Not sure I understand your setup.

I have a Reef Angel with the Wifi module. What I did was to buy a router which can set internal static IP using the mac address of my wifi adapter.

Then I simply set the port forwarding to the IP I set the wifi adapter to.

I am using automatic DHCP.

If you are DHCP reservation on your router, then use this to assign a fixed IP to your Apex wifi connection and use DHCP.

Why do you have DHCP disabled?

My subnet mask is the same as yours and the DNS is required for your main router connection to connect to your provider via your modem, then after that the router dispatch the connection to your internal network via DHCP.

Having DHCP reservation is a must I think if you want your connection to be stable and not change. Each time your router is going to assign a different IP address to your wifi adapter, that port forwarding is going to be useless. This is why I use a static IP for my wifi. You're going to need to find out the mac address of your wifi adapter. There are a few ways to do this, but there is a nice free program here that can help.

SoftPerfect Network Scanner

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/

the download link on the left, click on the blue button "download"

Hey everyone,

So im still trying to get my apex running so i can access it outside the house. I have it hooked into a airport express which is wirelessly linked to my main router which is running off the house router (telus). For some reason I cant get my port forwarding to work. Is this because I need a port forward on each router, or do I just need it on the main house router?

Also I have a few more questions about what I put in the network setup part of my apex.

Are the following correct?

DHCP: disabled

My net mask: 255.255.255.0? This just showed up and I have yet to change it

Gateway: Is this the house router or my main router?

Primary DNS: What should I be entering for this?

Also Do I need to do a port forward on all my routers?