PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl hose question

Snappy
01-03-2013, 01:14 AM
I have been using the clear 5/8 "vinyl" tubing attached to my submersable pump when I transfer water from my resivoir to my mixing barrel but it always seems to give me what looks like an "oil slick" on top of the water. I can't imagine this is a good thing. That makes me wonder, what are other people using for hoses during their water change process? Please share your experiences.

Borderjumper
01-03-2013, 01:16 AM
I have been using the clear 5/8 "vinyl" tubing attached to my submersable pump when I transfer water from my resivoir to my mixing barrel but it always seems to give me what looks like an "oil slick" on top of the water. I can't imagine this is a good thing. That makes me wonder, what are other people using for hoses during their water change process? Please share your experiences.

I bought a 25ft RV hose. It's a little bit more expensive, but its drinking water safe!

The Grizz
01-03-2013, 01:18 AM
I usually try to get hose from Pieces or find a food grade alternative @ Home Depot & even found some at UFA.

Reef_Geek
01-03-2013, 01:19 AM
I use the clear tubing by-the-foot from Rona (in plumbing) for siphoning. No issues.

11purewater
01-03-2013, 01:21 AM
It probably not the hoses but a biofilm from the containers usually caused by airborne particulate.

Aquattro
01-03-2013, 01:34 AM
I've always used vinyl hoses, never noticed any oil slicks

waynemah
01-03-2013, 01:37 AM
I use the clear hose for the same reason, I've never noticed any residue from it.

Snappy
01-03-2013, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. The tubing I am using is the "by the foot" from Rona or Home Depot. The barrel is food grade so I don't think that is the issue and now that I think of it I switched to this food grade barrel because the same thing was happening with my old rubbermaid container. I am confident that it is the hose giving me the issue. The original hose was from an aquarium siphon & fill set I bought years ago but I have replaced it a few times because it tends to grow algae or mold or something undesirable in it over time - maybe because it's clear and light gets to it. Anyway I will look for a food grade replacement. It is so obvious that would be the answer it's no wonder I never thought of that.:redface: Although I don't RV so I'm going to use that as my excuse.
Thanks again.

11purewater
01-03-2013, 02:03 AM
NSF food grade typically means low porosity with low leaching of chemicals.The low porosity is for sanitization reasons under the impression the holding vessel or tubing will undergo chemical or heat treatment and will not degrade and can show acceptable levels of pathogen,or organic bio- film reduction.If your holding tank is exposed to unflitered air,you will get something growing.

Reef_Geek
01-03-2013, 03:10 AM
maybe it's airborne stuff that gets onto your plastic gear? like when you cook bacon, things in the house has a greasy feel to the touch... maybe something is coating your plastic gear over time from something going on in the house?

mmm.... bacon....

gregzz4
01-03-2013, 03:44 AM
Hey Greg, have you ever tried cleaning out both barrels to narrow down where the film is coming from ?
Maybe it's the barrel itself ???
Fill the second unit from the first with a jug or something to rule out the hose and pump setup