PDA

View Full Version : substrate change

Tlro
01-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Hello all.

I am considering doing a substrate change from crushed coral to caribsea black sand.
My tank is 20 gallons tall, 2 clowns, frogspawn, toadstool leather, green mushroom, and last but not least my bubble tip nem. Any recommendations for this massive undertaking? Can I somehow do it with the critters still in the tank? Thanks

MMAX
01-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Shouldn't be too much of a massive undertaking with a 20 gal. I'm in the process of doing the same thing except with my 100 gallon. No way I'm taking my fish of corals out, just scoop the old stuff out as best you can and add the new after its been washed.

Tlro
01-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Are you doing it a little bit at a time?

Myka
01-02-2013, 11:41 PM
It's best to do 1/4 at a time. Use a siphon hose to suck it out so that any anaerobic areas are removed from the tank without polluting it.

However, with a small tank I would remove all livestock, dump the substrate out, and put the livestock back in. Wait a week, then add new substrate.

MMAX
01-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Are you doing it a little bit at a time?

I did about half the other day, haven't gotten around to the other half yet.

MMAX
01-03-2013, 12:05 AM
It's best to do 1/4 at a time. Use a siphon hose to suck it out so that any anaerobic areas are removed from the tank without polluting it.

However, with a small tank I would remove all livestock, dump the substrate out, and put the livestock back in. Wait a week, then add new substrate.

Just thinking a siphon hose probably won't work with crushed coral. I didn't even bother trying with mine, just scooped it out.

Tlro
01-03-2013, 01:54 AM
Seems to be a lot of varying opinions haha...