PDA

View Full Version : Can someone identify this white protrusion on my tinfoil barb?

tobysmurf
01-02-2013, 04:38 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/tobysmurf/Fresh%20Tanks/DSC_8400_zps68387814.jpg

This fish has been in one of my fresh tanks for about three years. I've never noticed this bump before, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there the entire time. Water conditions are great, although he gets a lot more water flow than most barbs would as he's in a tank with Berdmorei Botias. He has LED lighting and a good food supply. Anyone have any idea what the little bump could be on his belly? It only concerns me because the fish has been acting very agitated lately. He's about four years old and about 9" long from head to tail if that puts the bump in perspective.

chevyjaxon
01-02-2013, 04:44 PM
perhaps one of its rib bones? just a thought.

Ross
01-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Looks like a tapeworm to me.

Frozen blood worms are notorious for infecting fish if you happen to feed them.

tobysmurf
01-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Oh no! I hope it's a tapeworm then. And yes these guys love blood worms, I give them BW twice a week. I hate the thought of all my fish in this tank being sick, any suggestions on good medication to remove them? And I assume that blood worm treats should become a thing of the past?

hillegom
01-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Write Aquattro and ask if he still has some medication for worms.

Ross
01-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Oh no! I hope it's a tapeworm then. And yes these guys love blood worms, I give them BW twice a week. I hate the thought of all my fish in this tank being sick, any suggestions on good medication to remove them? And I assume that blood worm treats should become a thing of the past?

My discus get them from time to time shortly after I feed blood worms.
Prazipro tends to kill most of the worms after a dose or two, but the fish don't always survive the treatment.

The white bump gets bigger then pops after a few days and then a hole is left.
It then slowly heals after a few weeks.
You may then need to treat with Furan 2 for the hole in the side.