PDA

View Full Version : Question about cycling rock

Oilers
01-02-2013, 02:23 AM
I have a large piece of rock (about 5 lbs) that is covered by some ugly zoas and gsp. I am planning to take it out and let it go dry to get rid of the zoas and gsp. Once the rock has gone dry, would it be okay to put it back into the tank or do I need to cycle it? If it does need to be cycled, how long would that be?

Aquattro
01-02-2013, 02:42 AM
All the die off inside the rock will leach phosphates into the tank, probably giving you some algae issues.

Oilers
01-02-2013, 04:33 AM
Brad,
I have about 150 lbs of rock in the tank, would a 5 lbs piece be releasing significant phosphate that would be a problem??

lpsreefer
01-02-2013, 04:57 AM
If your up for a trade ill trade ya. dry rock.

Aquattro
01-02-2013, 05:15 AM
Brad,
I have about 150 lbs of rock in the tank, would a 5 lbs piece be releasing significant phosphate that would be a problem??

I don't know either way, but i wouldn't want to find out. If it was a piece of rock that I just couldn't throw in the garden, I'd probably boil the crap out of it then soak it in RO for a while.

Myka
01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Soak it in vinegar for an hour with no circulation. The vinegar will kill of the outside layer of the rock, but with no circulation very little vinegar will make it into the rock. After the vinegar bath put it in a bin to cycle and check that nothing grows back. You might have to do the vinegar bath a couple times. If it was summertime I would suggest using a powerwasher on the rock to blast the corals off before the vinegar bath.

MMAX
01-02-2013, 09:02 PM
I've done this several times with no problems. I just rinsed and scrubbed all the dried up crap off the rocks and put them into the sump. Probably the safer bet would be to do the vinegar thing though.

eli@fijireefrock.com
01-02-2013, 09:18 PM
I've done this several times with no problems. I just rinsed and scrubbed all the dried up crap off the rocks and put them into the sump.

:thumb:
I have done this too many times.

The safest way is simply to a trade with someone else's base rock or a trade with a dry rock weight for weight.

waynemah
01-02-2013, 10:10 PM
If It were me, I'd try this...

Vinegar soak, scrub off the unwanted corals, rinse, place in toilet (clean water side) to leach out the rest of the die-off, RO rinse, then into the sump for a cycle.

I'd also avoid any boiling as you never know what toxins are in your zoa/paly's.