PDA

View Full Version : Lf a few things around edmonton

Phil
01-01-2013, 05:36 PM
I'm lookin for a good water blaster 3000 , 2 tlf 150 reactors, used apex jr or lite. Let me know if u have something or I'll be ordering new in next few days. Thanks

scubadawg
01-01-2013, 07:05 PM
I bought my Water Blaster 7000 and 3000 from Ray at Reef Supplies, great person to deal with, excellent service. I went to Aquarium Illusions to buy the Water Blaster 7000, their price was 350.00, told them that everyone else was 260.00, gave them my number for them to call me back, they never did, so much for their web site saying they match prices.
They don't want my business.

I'm placing an order to Reef Supplies in the next couple of days for
1-Vertex Vectra Engine Universal Cleaner Unit with 200mm Lid (8" lid)
1-Seachem cupermine test kit
2-Vertex probe holders

Phil
01-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Ya I know I read your thread u had posted awhile ago and that's we're I'll b ordering one from if I can find a used one.

The Grizz
01-01-2013, 07:11 PM
I have some TLF 150's with pumps if interested, can also supply the mesh mods for them if needed.

chevyjaxon
01-01-2013, 07:23 PM
I bought my Water Blaster 7000 and 3000 from Ray at Reef Supplies, great person to deal with, excellent service. I went to Aquarium Illusions to buy the Water Blaster 7000, their price was 350.00, told them that everyone else was 260.00, gave them my number for them to call me back, they never did, so much for their web site saying they match prices.
They don't want my business.

I'm placing an order to Reef Supplies in the next couple of days for
1-Vertex Vectra Engine Universal Cleaner Unit with 200mm Lid (8" lid)
1-Seachem cupermine test kit
2-Vertex probe holders

on boxing day I watched them sell 1200 worth of salt water equipment to a newbie. I held my tongue when she asked if a 20 gallon would be a good starter tank and they said "yes it will be fun" lost alot of respect for AI that day, they should have been more interested in selling her a system that would be large enough to deal with. instead i seen them selling her imo a headache. she should have been told that a larger tank would be easier to care for.

reefwars
01-01-2013, 07:26 PM
she should have been told that a larger tank would be easier to care for.

how so??

chevyjaxon
01-01-2013, 07:30 PM
In a small tank water parameters can shift extremely quick. definately not for a novice. in a larger tank water parameters dont shift quite as fast because of the larger water volume. thus giving us more time to fix things.

Proteus
01-01-2013, 07:34 PM
on boxing day I watched them sell 1200 worth of salt water equipment to a newbie. I held my tongue when she asked if a 20 gallon would be a good starter tank and they said "yes it will be fun" lost alot of respect for AI that day, they should have been more interested in selling her a system that would be large enough to deal with. instead i seen them selling her imo a headache. she should have been told that a larger tank would be easier to care for.

It happens all the time I stopped a guy at big Al's from buying a $400 ro unit because the salesman told him it would help his nitrate problems in his dt

reefwars
01-01-2013, 07:47 PM
In a small tank water parameters can shift extremely quick. definately not for a novice. in a larger tank water parameters dont shift quite as fast because of the larger water volume. thus giving us more time to fix things.

more forgiving when say a bubbletip gets caught in your powerhead, but the result of fixing said problem is more work, more water to make more water to remove, more additives to run etc. larger tanks tend to have more at risk as there is more livestock and more money invested.

small tanks regarding maintanance is quite simple , the same errors new people make in the hobby with small tanks happen with big tanks as well.

water quality in a small tank is very simple to keep in check provided you are set up in the right way with the right equipment and the right advice....no different from a larger tank.

while i usually tell people to go as large as they can when designing a tank , its mainly because people like large tanks, they like large fish and they want coral with large growth. they start small because they are afraid to lose money or fail or are intimidated with the whole of it all and then end up upgrading possibly several times before getting the set up they really like as the hobby is very addicting.

depending on what was sold to the lady she could have very well been set right up on the right path , ai isnt a new business they know their stuff and have years of proven success with the reef community, in the end its up to the reefer to make their tank what it will become the advice they learn along the way good or bad is part of the learning experience.

i highly doubt AI had any kind of hidden motive to scam a new reefer into a set up they couldnt handle....

just my 3 cents

cheers

chevyjaxon
01-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Ok but can you explain why Ron looked at me when the lady looked away from him and mimicked the words shhh as I was about to inform her that a 20 gallon is a tad bit small to use as a beginner tank? I used to really love AI but over the years they have changed.

Proteus
01-01-2013, 08:14 PM
I do think that a small tank is a good way to go for beginners. Just for the sake of money. I think a lot of newbies including myself went big without understanding the real cost and in the end many people cheap out in equipment only to spend twice as much In the end. Now while I loved my 180. I find my lil cube more satisfying and cost effective.

On the other note. IMO AI has put a bad taste in my mouth as well as others I know. It's never been the store or inventory but rather a few employs that had no PR skills. My first experience was very diheartening as I was made to feel as I shouldn't even own goldfish.
I should say that there are some other great people who do work there.