PDA

View Full Version : Tank overflow Question?

daplatapus
01-01-2013, 01:59 PM
So, the one thing I've been kind of not liking about my new 210 is the internal rear overflows. They take up a fair bit of real-estate, are pretty obvious and kinda ugly. Looking at mseepman's side overflow has got me thinking...
My tank will be 2 sided viewing. The back will be up against the wall and the right side will have cabinetry built up against it to house my DIY controller and lighting doo dads. I was thinking of cutting out the internal overflows, patching the holes and cutting an overflow on the right side of the tank. Can any of the resident tank builders give me a bit of insight as to how difficult/possible this is? It'll have to be DIY because I don't even know of any tank builders on the island other than 1 in Victoria which is almost 3 hrs away. Here's a lousy pic of the tank:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/daplatapus/IMAG0046.jpg

Any thoughts or advice??

Mseepman: if you're reading this, how much flow are you expecting from your overflow? What is the total width and depth of your overflow teeth?

Thanks everyone.

Gone Snorkelin'
01-01-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm not sure about the overflows, but I'm pretty sure that one fish is too big for that tank.

mseepman
01-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Haha...that is one big fish.

As for my overflow, I don't uses teeth, its simply a wier cut 20" long. The overflow will have a bean animal with 1 1/2“ piping. I don't know how much it will handle, but it will be far more than I throw at it.
Take a look at www.glassreef.com and read about his overflow where he writes a good section about overflows.

dperrin
01-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Dez did what you are talking about to his 150. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50842&page=4

daplatapus
01-02-2013, 12:38 AM
I'm not sure about the overflows, but I'm pretty sure that one fish is too big for that tank.

Lol, yeah. It was the only way I could reach the bottom well enough to cut out the old silicone when I resealed it. Thankfully the wife didn't throw "this" fish back :D

Thanks for the links guys. Some good info there.