PDA

View Full Version : Monthly upkeep costs for your system?

zum14
01-01-2013, 05:05 AM
Hello again. Its been just over a year since I liquidated everything and got away from this hobby. I can say with certainty that I regret that decision greatly. I have been pondering for a while and creepin over everyones tank journals checking the updates and getting some more ideas. I learned a lot the last time I played around in this pool. Went way too big to fast (cost waaaayy too much) and then tried to setup a small system that was a little too restricting. I am drawing up some ideas but I am trying to plan this one properly. Im trying to stay resonable but if I cant afford a decent sized system I think I will be setting myself up for failure and would like to avoid that this round. I would love to setup a 250+ gal reef tank with a basement sump but thats just not resonable for me at this time in this house. I have been thinking around 120 gal or so maybe 180 if the wifes in a good mood, maybe a 90 if costs are too high, but am trying to guess monthly maintence costs of a system of this size. I think this will end up being a FOWLR but im sure a few corals will make it in to the mix if they survive. I know people try not to think of this (when I did a search the only threads I found was from 2008 ) but im really trying to plan this one right. Im not intrested in the fish/coral new gadget expenses or setup as that varies greatly. Thanks to everyone, answer or no answer, great group of people helping out here.

lpsreefer
01-01-2013, 05:48 AM
90 gallons is a super easy way to go. Depending on what equipment you get I would say your monthly cost any where from 25 to 60 bucks keep in mind more equipment ( rodi units). How often you do water changes.(metal halide vs t5 vs LEDs) for lighting mh run about 25 month. Heaters if you run 300 watt vs 2 150 watts. Skimmers depending on the pump. Return pumps. If you run reactors or dosers. Wave make or power heads.

All things have there.
My 90 gallon KISS(keep it stupid simple) tank runs LEDs and t5. 2 150 watt heaters, ruturn pump is a mag 24 what's over kill. A cheap swc 180 skimmer.
4 1400 ghp powerheads.
I do weekly water changes. Bucket of salt last about 5 weeks.

This is all just an example.
But over all cost is roughly 35 bucks. I would say.

Ryan
01-01-2013, 06:02 AM
If you want to upgrade in the future I would set up a current tank with an upgrade in the future.

Go LED and use pendants like the AI SOLS or Vegas, or GHI (expensive but they seem to be the best out there). Then when you upgrade you can just pick up another unit or 2.

Go with a Ehiem 1262 return on this tank. When the upgrade comes double up.

The skimmer look for something thats a little big for your tank. Vertex just came out with a new Skimmer that should do 40-250 gallons. Might be something to look into.

Otherwise the rest of the equipment (Controller, Doser, etc) and live stock transfers over easy.

naesco
01-01-2013, 06:05 AM
Hello again. Its been just over a year since I liquidated everything and got away from this hobby. I can say with certainty that I regret that decision greatly. I have been pondering for a while and creepin over everyones tank journals checking the updates and getting some more ideas. I learned a lot the last time I played around in this pool. Went way too big to fast (cost waaaayy too much) and then tried to setup a small system that was a little too restricting. I am drawing up some ideas but I am trying to plan this one properly. Im trying to stay resonable but if I cant afford a decent sized system I think I will be setting myself up for failure and would like to avoid that this round. I would love to setup a 250+ gal reef tank with a basement sump but thats just not resonable for me at this time in this house. I have been thinking around 120 gal or so maybe 180 if the wifes in a good mood, maybe a 90 if costs are too high, but am trying to guess monthly maintence costs of a system of this size. I think this will end up being a FOWLR but im sure a few corals will make it in to the mix if they survive. I know people try not to think of this (when I did a search the only threads I found was from 2008 ) but im really trying to plan this one right. Im not intrested in the fish/coral new gadget expenses or setup as that varies greatly. Thanks to everyone, answer or no answer, great group of people helping out here.

IMO 90 is way too small for a FOWLR because it limits you too smaller fish.
Go for a 6 footer. You can then keep tangs and other larger fish.
With LED many reefers are dumping their old lighting and 6foot tanks are frequently offered for sale at bargain prices on this board.

Aquattro
01-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Last time I calculated total annual cost divided by 12, it was about 127.00/mo for a 150g running 400w MH lights. All costs were considered, RO membrance replacement, bulb costs, hydro, water, food, test kits, etc.

This did not take into account replacement parts for pumps (impellers), but that's minimal.
That number though, can vary greatly, depending on your setup and equipment.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-01-2013, 09:06 AM
If cost, not room, is the biggest concern, go with a 6' fowlr but with decent lighting, such as an Aqualight Pro 150w all-in-one unit. These are going for very low prices nowadays. As a fowlr, you can either run just the two side MH and not have the center light on most of the time (so 300w). Then later, if you add some hardy softies, like green sinularia and toadstools, you can turn on all three lights. If you use 14000k Phoenix bulbs, these can easily last 1.5 years or more for this application. The last few Aqualight Pros for sale on this site went for under $100.

Save up for LEDs if you eventually decide to go more reef, than fowlr. Also look at some of the DIY LED threads to light up a 6' tank without blowing your budget.

180g is a nice size since it is a full 6' long but only 2' tall, so more powerful lights are unnecessary - thus saving you some $$.

Until I switched all my lighting (tanks & even some for the home) to LED, I used the Aqualight Pro lights for years.

Anthony

Myka
01-01-2013, 05:33 PM
I agree that a 4' tank is too small for a FOWLR. The cost of a FOWLR is much less than a reef because you aren't paying so much electricity for powerful lighting. after startup costs, the costs of maintaining a FOWLR aren't very significant. You would mainly be looking at electricity, food, and salt. Keep costs down by buying things like carbon in bulk from www.bulkreefsupply.com

You can figure out electrical costs fairly accurately by using an online electrical consumption calculator. Find out what a kWh costs in your area, and then look up the wattage of the equipment you will be using. My 90-gallon reef costs me about $40/month in electricity at 11.35 cents per kWh running 250w halides, skimmer, return pump, heater, powerheads, etc.

A bucket of salt lasts me about 4 months, so that's 3 buckets per year doing 10% weekly waterchanges. IO is perfectly fine for a FOWLR and it's cheap, but you may need to do bigger waterchanges on FOWLR, although a really good skimmer would help reduce waterchanges. Heaters can cost a lot of electricity if the tank is in a cool part of the house (basement?). Pay attention to electrical usage when you're picking pumps and skimmer.

Madreefer
01-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Good to see your thinking bout starting up again Tyler. Haha I knew you would be back. Anyways get a hold of me as a buddy had to suddenly take down his tank and its all stored in my basement and I have one tank setup with some really nice liverock and a couple of black clowns. I can't see him setting it back up again and there's some nice equipment sitting here.

zum14
01-02-2013, 03:03 AM
But over all cost is roughly 35 bucks. I would say.

Thats cheap. You must have some energy efficient equipment on there. I think the 30 gal I had cost that much at least.

If you want to upgrade in the future I would set up a current tank with an upgrade in the future.

One condition on the wife letting me do this was I am to figure out what my end goal is and save up for that. If I want it bad enough I have to be patient.

IMO 90 is way too small for a FOWLR because it limits you too smaller fish.
Go for a 6 footer. You can then keep tangs and other larger fish.
With LED many reefers are dumping their old lighting and 6foot tanks are frequently offered for sale at bargain prices on this board.

This is a very good point to remember. I would love to have a yellow tang finally. I know maybe there not the most fancy but have always caught my eye. I showed the wife what 6' was and she said ok.....

zum14
01-02-2013, 03:11 AM
Last time I calculated total annual cost divided by 12, it was about 127.00/mo for a 150g running 400w MH lights. All costs were considered, RO membrance replacement, bulb costs, hydro, water, food, test kits, etc.

This did not take into account replacement parts for pumps (impellers), but that's minimal.
That number though, can vary greatly, depending on your setup and equipment.

I always forget the little things. RO. I saved my typhoon 3 but it probably will need a filter change when stuff starts flowing again.

If cost, not room, is the biggest concern, go with a 6' fowlr but with decent lighting, such as an Aqualight Pro 150w all-in-one unit. These are going for very low prices nowadays. As a fowlr, you can either run just the two side MH and not have the center light on most of the time (so 300w). Then later, if you add some hardy softies, like green sinularia and toadstools, you can turn on all three lights. If you use 14000k Phoenix bulbs, these can easily last 1.5 years or more for this application. The last few Aqualight Pros for sale on this site went for under $100.

Save up for LEDs if you eventually decide to go more reef, than fowlr. Also look at some of the DIY LED threads to light up a 6' tank without blowing your budget.

180g is a nice size since it is a full 6' long but only 2' tall, so more powerful lights are unnecessary - thus saving you some $$.

Until I switched all my lighting (tanks & even some for the home) to LED, I used the Aqualight Pro lights for years.

Anthony

I know everyones talking LED and there are some great lights but holy man some people even diy sure spend some coin on them. Im thinking t5 but I will definitely do some more research. I do like the versatility of diy led.

I agree that a 4' tank is too small for a FOWLR. The cost of a FOWLR is much less than a reef because you aren't paying so much electricity for powerful lighting. after startup costs, the costs of maintaining a FOWLR aren't very significant. You would mainly be looking at electricity, food, and salt. Keep costs down by buying things like carbon in bulk from www.bulkreefsupply.com (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com)

You can figure out electrical costs fairly accurately by using an online electrical consumption calculator. Find out what a kWh costs in your area, and then look up the wattage of the equipment you will be using. My 90-gallon reef costs me about $40/month in electricity at 11.35 cents per kWh running 250w halides, skimmer, return pump, heater, powerheads, etc.

A bucket of salt lasts me about 4 months, so that's 3 buckets per year doing 10% weekly waterchanges. IO is perfectly fine for a FOWLR and it's cheap, but you may need to do bigger waterchanges on FOWLR, although a really good skimmer would help reduce waterchanges. Heaters can cost a lot of electricity if the tank is in a cool part of the house (basement?). Pay attention to electrical usage when you're picking pumps and skimmer.

This totally makes sense. Little embarrassed I didnt think of this. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will investigate these suggestions and browse some more tank journals. Lots of good ideas in there.

whatcaneyedo
01-05-2013, 05:07 AM
Its great to see you active again. Mine costs about $2000 a year and that factors in everything from power consumption to salt. So $167 a month for a 240gal system but as you know I offset that cost by selling coral frags.

If you do decide to setup again I've still got your old purple firefish and tailspot blenny.

If you remember Karen, she is trying to sell her complete 200gal system for about $2000 I think... she has a buyer lined up but its been 4 months and the tank is still sitting in her house.

I'm also going to start calling around to see if we can do a Tank Tour over the next three months. So that might be another opportunity for you to learn some new tricks.

Madreefer
01-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Mine costs about $2000 a year and that factors in everything from power consumption to salt. So $167 a month for a 240gal system

Wow!! I have'nt even tried figuring mine out. No smart meter yet? My smart meter was installed at the same time I switched over to LEDs and my bill went up. Should be called scam meter instead. I now have Shauns system set up in my basement so thats not helping my bills either. Karen has plans on putting her system in my basement as well until this year long sale of her tank goes through. That one I think i'm gonna have to say no to.

Coralgurl
01-05-2013, 07:29 PM
This is a great thread. I try not to think about what my systems cost, ignorance is bliss :lol: but it's good information regardless!

zum14
01-06-2013, 01:45 AM
Its great to see you active again. Mine costs about $2000 a year and that factors in everything from power consumption to salt. So $167 a month for a 240gal system but as you know I offset that cost by selling coral frags.

If you do decide to setup again I've still got your old purple firefish and tailspot blenny.

If you remember Karen, she is trying to sell her complete 200gal system for about $2000 I think... she has a buyer lined up but its been 4 months and the tank is still sitting in her house.

I'm also going to start calling around to see if we can do a Tank Tour over the next three months. So that might be another opportunity for you to learn some new tricks.

Hey, hows your tank doing? Havent seen too much activity from you since i started peruzing. Tank tour sounds great. I keep getting lost trying to find the tank whenever im near unbc. Sad i know...

Wow!! I have'nt even tried figuring mine out. No smart meter yet? My smart meter was installed at the same time I switched over to LEDs and my bill went up. Should be called scam meter instead. I now have Shauns system set up in my basement so thats not helping my bills either. Karen has plans on putting her system in my basement as well until this year long sale of her tank goes through. That one I think i'm gonna have to say no to.

Wow. You get that much water in your house and you will be able to drink the air.

This is a great thread. I try not to think about what my systems cost, ignorance is bliss :lol: but it's good information regardless!

I think its helped already. Every time you think youve thought of everything some one asks if youve factored in your ro filters and crap. Its a good realistic idea for people so they dont jump in too deep too fast ( my problem last time, had a 300gal system in my basement, water mixing tanks, ro tank, 250 gal freshwater fish tank, dehumidifier pulling 10gal a day, electricity bill was $250 for one month of that. )

whatcaneyedo
01-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Hey, hows your tank doing? Havent seen too much activity from you since i started peruzing. Tank tour sounds great. I keep getting lost trying to find the tank whenever im near unbc. Sad i know...

My tank doesn't change very much from month to month anymore. It went through a little bit of a rough patch around 2011 where I lost all of my clams and several of my coral bleached then receded. But I've got it all under control again.

Lately I've become a bit exasperated with the usual discussions on these forums. 'what skimmer should I buy?', 'how do I get rid of hair algae?', 'which supplements do I need?'... etc. Use the search engine folks. Your questions have already been asked and answered a hundred times before. But if someone local asks a question I'll usually throw my two cents in.

Madreefer
01-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Well just got our Hydro bill on monday. Since I put buddies tank in my basement my bill has rose from $250 to $400. Said tank is just a 70G with a heater, 4 96W T5s for 6hrs a day and 2 MP40s and a cannister filter. She says it's gotta come down. I think she's gonna win this one.It really sucks as his rocks have finally been clea of hair algae and starting to purple up nice. PlusI have'nt anywheres to put his black clowns.

zum14
01-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Well just got our Hydro bill on monday. Since I put buddies tank in my basement my bill has rose from $250 to $400. Said tank is just a 70G with a heater, 4 96W T5s for 6hrs a day and 2 MP40s and a cannister filter. She says it's gotta come down. I think she's gonna win this one.It really sucks as his rocks have finally been clea of hair algae and starting to purple up nice. PlusI have'nt anywheres to put his black clowns.

Jeeze i hope thats 2 months worth. Wow.

Madreefer
01-10-2013, 01:14 AM
Oops I was wrong. Wife corrected me. Bill went from $213 to $450. And thats for 2 months