PDA

View Full Version : Fox Face

Steve...
12-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Hi Everyone, Happy New Years!

Is the sting from a Fox Face deadly or serious? I'm considering getting one of these fish.

micah
12-31-2012, 11:05 PM
I have had one for 3 years and they are a very nice species of fish. I do not know about the sting but I do not beleive that they will just sting you randomly. They would have to be really provoked.

lpsreefer
12-31-2012, 11:35 PM
the likely hood of them stinging you is very low. if i have my hand in any of my tanks the fox faces are always the first to go hide.

for the sting its self its not to bad. you just put the spot that stung under the tap and run warm water for 10 mins or so.
feels a lot like some one hit you with a big rubber band.
keep in mind not every one reacts the same.
on a side note never pick up a fox face or rabbit fish with your bare hands.

Lance
12-31-2012, 11:41 PM
I was stung once from my 5" Foxface, (totally my fault), and it hurts pretty good. Feels like a big-a$$ wasp sting. I ran my hand under hot water for as long as I could stand it. The area turned red and swelled up a little, but the pain was pretty much gone in a few hours.
Foxface are wonderful fish and I've kept one or two for years and this was the only incident so don't let my misfortune cause you to reconsider getting one. They are mellow fish and great algae eaters.

Steve...
12-31-2012, 11:50 PM
Thanks for sharing with me your experiences!

MMAX
12-31-2012, 11:58 PM
Docile fish. I've had mine for 2 years and he's very peaceful but I've never been stung. When I have my hand in my tank he'll come over to see what I'm doing--he loves the algae I scrape off the glass. He'll put his spines up at first but sees that I mean him no harm, lowers them and goes about his business.

gregzz4
01-01-2013, 12:01 AM
I loved my Foxface
When I put my hands in the water, I first checked to see where he was, and he stayed away, unless I had nori :wink:
No sudden movements and you're fine

The severity of the sting varies from person to person
Most just feel the pain like a bee sting, but some can have an alergic reaction
Watch for signs such as trouble breathing, lightheaded, weakness, nausea
Besides the mentioned hot water treatment, the stung area should be watched for infection