PDA

View Full Version : Copperband butterfly

yifan917
05-07-2004, 12:08 AM
Hello!

Just want to know more about this fish.

Is it reef safe? Spme ppl say they'll only pick on tube worms..

I only have sps, lps and some star polyps in my tank...

Is it hard to keep?

Thank you all!

Buccaneer
05-07-2004, 12:17 AM
I have one from Alan ( aka AJ_77 ) and he has been a model citizen :cool: ... he did clean the tank out of tubeworms but other than that has not touched softies, LPS or SPS at all.

Canadian Man
05-07-2004, 01:16 AM
I have one from Alan ( aka AJ_77 ) and he has been a model citizen :cool: ... he did clean the tank out of tubeworms but other than that has not touched softies, LPS or SPS at all.

Same here :biggrin:

EmilyB
05-07-2004, 01:33 AM
They do nibble on open brain corals... :smile:

Canadian Man
05-07-2004, 06:18 AM
They do nibble on open brain corals... :smile: :lol: Oh Yea. Forgot that one.

yifan917
05-07-2004, 11:15 AM
wow! thanks!

I think I'll pick it up tomorrow!

chwkreefer
05-07-2004, 03:07 PM
My Copperband nicely polished off my little tubeworms/featherdusters. (that's why I hired him) but when that was finished he went on to nip at one of my 4 brain corals (he killed it) and my two clams.

I've had to cover my clams with acrylic boxes to keep him from killing them.

He has left the other brains and all other corals alone. He is a very nice addition to the tank and pretty much only eats frozen mysis shrimp now. I find that if he is well fed in the morning I can sometimes leave the clams uncovered and he won't pick at them as well.

With Copperbands, it's a toss up as to what you get. Some don't acclimate well, others kill corals and others are perfectly fine. They are a beautiful fish and are generally worth a try. Though mine can be a pain in the butt, I'm still glad I got him. Especially now that my tank no longer has a couple thousand of those ugly little feather dusters.

Bill

BCOrchidGuy
05-07-2004, 05:13 PM
I'm surprised that so many folks don't like the little feather dusters, to me they are a nice addition, I'm always glad to see them growing.
I've had one CBB it only lasted a couple days, it died in the QT tank but it was a beautiful fish, I'd love to have one in my main tank.

Doug

Cap'n
05-07-2004, 09:37 PM
I like the little featherdusters as well. They populate any of the lower current areas giving an indication of the water flow and help keep the water clean. People who see my tank for the first time almost always find them one of the most interesting aspects of the tank and are surprised that they just grew there by themselsves. I wouldn't mind thinning them out a bit but I would hate to see them go.