PDA

View Full Version : NH3 in a 6 month old tank...

RenHoek104
12-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Hey guys,

I don't get it, my tank has been up and running since June and I've had several episodes of NH3 build-up. I tested my water with an API and Hagen test and both came up positive for NH3. I don't get it!?! My LFS told me once the cycle is done you should have no problems with the chemistry. My NO2 and NO3 are both at 0, my pH is around 8.2-8.4 (i use Kent Buffer), KH=11 and Ca=460.

I've asked around and no one knows why I have NH3. Reef stores all give me the "it's impossible" reply. I'm all out of ideas and about ready to throw in the towel.

I filled my tank with 40lbs of sand, 50 lbs of base rock, 15 lbs of live rock, I have an eshopps skimmer rated for 100 gallons +, a MP10 circulation pump and I'm running out of ideas of where this **** is coming from.

Any help or reasonable offers will be appreciated,
Ren

Aquattro
12-31-2012, 05:53 PM
I found Hagen kits always give a false positive of about 1ppm. Throw that kit away. After 6 months, and with nothing dead floating around, I'd not even bother testing, to be honest.

RenHoek104
12-31-2012, 05:58 PM
I have a Seachem Ammonia dial in my tank and that reads 0. I don't know who to believe. I see no shade of green within the dial.

kien
12-31-2012, 06:01 PM
First of all, i would agree that you should get another test kit and try for a third opinion on your NH3. Have you taken a water sample to a LFS to see what they read?

Were your tanks brand new or did you buy them used? What about your other equipment ?

I am assuming you have no livestock at the moment?

If you truly do have NH3 and if I had to guess (which I totally am btw), I would guess that something is occasionally killing off your nitrifying bacteria. There are a host of things that you unbalance your tank causing bacteria to die off. Nitrifying bacteria can die of Chloramines or Chlorine, temperature, fresh water, lack of oxygen, ect, ect...

Have you been performing water changes at all?

reefwars
12-31-2012, 06:03 PM
both those test kits are IMO junk, did you bring your water somewhere to get tested for a second opinion??

Aquattro
12-31-2012, 06:03 PM
A 6 month old tank, barring any die off that was left in tank, will not have NH3. To ensure this, measure NO2. If you have no nitrites, get rid of your NH3 kits.

Just curious, why are you even measuring NH3 this late in the tank build?

kien
12-31-2012, 06:04 PM
I have a Seachem Ammonia dial in my tank and that reads 0. I don't know who to believe. I see no shade of green within the dial.

well, then to me it sounds like you just need to get your water tested by someone else. Either another reefer or a LFS.

RenHoek104
12-31-2012, 06:09 PM
I've done water changes once a month.

I have some crabs, snails and one blue gudgeon in the tank. I have some zoas and mushrooms as well.

I've brought my water to the LFS and they all use the API tests. During my last "outbreak" they also read positive. However, they also read a positive reading on freshly mixed saltwater.

I was actually testing my water to add some corals and fish to the tank (Christmas money to spend) and saw 0.25 on the API kit and 0.06 on the Hagen test.

I agree that the API test kits are useless because I have no NO2 and no NO3, the two by-products of NH3. I'm wondering if I shouldn't add an air pump to the sump. I mean, I think the skimmer creates enough air bubbles and the MP10 creates a nice ripple effect all over the tank, but who knows.

Ren

reefwars
12-31-2012, 06:12 PM
I've brought my water to the LFS and they all use the API tests. During my last "outbreak" they also read positive. However, they also read a positive reading on freshly mixed saltwater.

Ren

theres your answer right there

Aquattro
Stop worrying about it and buy some corals :) Your tank sounds fine.

RenHoek104
Right, I forgot, I bought the tank used from a reefer who also owns a store here in the city. It was originally a saltwater tank and I cleaned it when I first got it with a minor vinegar solution. I rinsed and then set it up once it was fully dried.
Ren

kien
12-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Stop worrying about it and buy some corals :) Your tank sounds fine.

^what he said LOL. You've got some critters in your tank that would tell you if you had a problem with NH3 by dying. They are not dead so I'd say you're OK :-)

RenHoek104
12-31-2012, 06:15 PM
Alright, well I'm convinced, I'm going to go pick up some Duncan corals and maybe a frogspawn if they have a nice one. Hopefully, I can find a fish as well.
Ren