PDA

View Full Version : Doser For Vinegar

Madreefer
12-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Hey what are you people using as a doser for vinegar? I've been adding manually but my job requires me to be away for a couple days at a time plus i'm tired of doing it that way as well. I used to just put it in my FW reservoir but it created mold in there. Just started adding it to my display again about a month ago and looking for the lazy way now.

ScubaSteve
12-31-2012, 04:56 PM
I'd just get a very low flow peristaltic pump (0.1-1ml/min) and get a good timer to turn it on for a couple minutes each day. I built a back up circuit for my ATO where as soon as power is applied to the pump it starts counting. When it reaches a certain value it cuts the power to the pump, this way if the ATO controller ever goes nuts there is a back up that will shut the top off off. I'd do the same thing for whatever automatic doser you use. Nothing is worse than a carbon overdose while you're away.

Why not consider a biopellet reactor with a recirculating loop? More hands off than vinegar and the recirc would let you dial the reactor right down if needs be.

FragIt Dan
12-31-2012, 05:20 PM
I think BRS has some single pump dosers, if they are too fast you can just dilute the vinegar and increase the dose. I have moved away from vinegar and vodka and towards biopellets, but have yet to start them up. Before getting a doser for vinegar I would suggest perhaps investing into a biopellets system. I plan on using a TLF Phosban reactor so expect it to be pretty cheap, and less work then vinegar.
Dan
Dan

Madreefer
12-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Yea thanks guys but i'm not a fan of bio-pellets at all. I'm happy with the vinegar. Where does one get a peristaltic pump?

albert_dao
12-31-2012, 08:39 PM
I have one that I haven't used if you're interested. PM me.

ScubaSteve
12-31-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm not a huge fan of pellets either but it feels like a safer bet if you're away for days at time. Less to go wrong. The biggest problem with pellets is reactor design. Most of the issues with pellets can be rectified by adding a recirc to the reactor, that way you can maintain proper fludization but limit the amount if tank water you are processing.

For peristaltic pumps, check out BRS.