PDA

View Full Version : HOB skimmers. Can they do the same job as sump skimmers?

SanguinesDream
12-30-2012, 11:22 PM
What is the best HOB skimmer on the market?

Is it even worth it to go to a HOB skimmer? I cannot have a sump due to cats. Opinions please.

Reef_Geek
12-30-2012, 11:38 PM
I think the "best" skimmer is really a function of your budget.

The bigger the chamber, the more potential contact between amphipathic molecules and bubbles. That is also why people like in-sump skimmers because they can be bigger. Beyond chamber size, there are design nuances that can make some models a big pain in the *** to work just the way you like it.

IMO, figure out your budget comfort level and then ask, for price range X-Z what's people happy with? For me, I wanted something under $200 and went with an eShopps PSK-100H for my 65 gallon. It's not the best skimmer out there, but it's easy to adjust and set up, takes up little space hanging on the back, and skims about a centimeter of gunk a day for me in my mixed reef. Hope this helps.

Proteus
12-31-2012, 12:07 AM
I have a deltec mce 600 which is a great hob skimmer. Look for used ones as I got mine for 260

SanguinesDream
12-31-2012, 01:44 AM
I also have a Tetra 9 watt UV clarifier. Does that affect the bioload needed for the skimmer? If so, how much?

Myka
12-31-2012, 02:16 AM
A UV sterilizer doesn't affect bioload. UV sterilizers generally will only kill algae in the water column, bt are advertised to control Ich. Most Uv sterilizers aren't even close to powerful enough to kill Ich.

Generally, you have to spend more money on an HOB skimmer to get good results than you would for an in-sump skimmer. An in-sump skimmer also comes with the cost of a return pump and plumbing too though. On a small tank, say less than 50 gallons, an HOB is a reasonable choice. Bigger tanks tend to function better with an in-sump skimmer.

Reef_Geek
12-31-2012, 02:20 AM
I don't think the UV has any impact on non-living material (e.g. dissolved proteins).

UV sterilizers work by irradiating the DNA of micro organisms in the water that passes through the chamber, making the DNA non-functional in cell replication. It doesn't kill the organism instantaneously, but instead, renders it useless in reproduction to interrupt the life cycle.

UV effectiveness depends on the wattage and contact time for irradiation. Additionally, if much of the water is able to bypass the UV flow circuit, a significant proportion of competent microbial population remain in the system to replicate.

Palmer
12-31-2012, 03:01 AM
What is the best HOB skimmer on the market?

From reading posts over the years I would say Deltec seems to be a popular choice for their HOB skimmers although I have never owned one. I have both a HOB and an in sump skimmer. My HOB is a Aqua Remora Pro that I purchased used. I have to say that it works great and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it as it pulls a ton of skimmate out of my system. Also another HOB brand that looked very good is the ATB universal cone skimmer. But I think it has been discontinued as I have not been able to find them on their website. Reef Octopus also makes one that looks promising but I dont have any experience with it.

RuGlu6
12-31-2012, 06:06 AM
I have a deltec mce 600 which is a great hob skimmer. Look for used ones as I got mine for 260

+1
The Deltec MCE 600 is the largest you can get in HOB that i know of. I owned one for years and its still very quiet and pulls air as advertized.
One thing is though you will need to keep air intake clean. The best way to do it is disconnect the pump each time you clean the cup. this way air line will soak and purge itself.

Proteus
12-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Reef octo does make a nice hob skimmer but one of the biggest selling points for me on the deltec was the overflow line. Off the collection cup it has a return line that plumbs back in to feed chamber so it won't end up all over the floor