PDA

View Full Version : Do i need a sump?

DEAD_BY_DAWN
05-06-2004, 10:26 PM
after seeing a few great tank in the past few days,which all had a sumps ,i was considering adding one to my 20g before summer hits,but i do have a few concerns before doing so,
1.do i need one (if its not broke dont fix it)
2.cost can you make /buy one for low cost
3.will it help keep the tank cooler in the hotter months
4.can you just add one to a set up tank with no risk
5.what should i put in it algae,ls,nothing
thanks for ansering any of these questions.
5 1/2.any idea of the cost involved.

mr_alberta
05-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Well I am a big fan of sumps. Do you need absolutely need one? No. I've seen many nice tanks go sumpless. Sure, they have a jumble of cords out the back, but hey, it worked for them.

Sumps are a great place to put equipment such as skimmers, heater, etc. The cost of one all depends on how fancy you want to get and what DIY skills you have. If your tank is not drilled, you could buy or make a HOB overflow to get water from your main tank to the sump. The sump itself could be a simple 10G tank where water enters one end and leaves from the other. Or you could get all fancy and have an acrylic one made up with probe holders, media holders, etc.

I also like sumps because a larger water volume means larger buffering capacity. Larger buffering capacity means the system will tolerate small mishaps better (i.e. I dumped too much FW into the tank!)

Anyway, hope this helps. If you have any more questions just ask!

sumpfinfishe
05-07-2004, 04:24 PM
DBD wrote:1.do i need one (if its not broke dont fix it)
2.cost can you make /buy one for low cost
3.will it help keep the tank cooler in the hotter months
4.can you just add one to a set up tank with no risk
5.what should i put in it algae,ls,nothing
thanks for ansering any of these questions.
5 1/2.any idea of the cost involved.

1. A sump is an addition, it will help clean up unwanted equipment from your main tank, gives you options to cool water and add additives or perform less stressful water changes.
2. You can build or buy a low cost hang-on overflow which will allow you to upgrade to a sump with minimal risk/cost-no drilling of your main tank.
3.If heat is a problem now, then yes it could help lower the temperature although you will need to top-up more often due to the evaporation from using a fan to cool the surface of the water in the sump.
4.see #2
5.A heater, skimmer, probes and pumps is all I would put in the sump, a sump is a sump and not a refugium
5 1/2.Cost I'm guessing would run at about a $100-$150 total or less if you buy a good return pump such as a mag 3-5, as for the overflow box and plumbing, I'm sure Jack at Ocean Aquatics could slap something together out of some plexi. The sump you could pay $10 bucks for a food safe rubbermaid tub or a 5-10gl glass tank.

BCOrchidGuy
05-07-2004, 05:04 PM
My biggest draw to a sump is the auto fresh water top off. That being said a number of people have made DIY top offs for their tank with out any problems.

Doug

medican
05-11-2004, 02:21 PM
I have a 90 g and I run a canister EHEIM works great, also have done the DIY top off in my tank, works great, now saying that what I wouldent do for a SUMP. IMO and what I have learned over the past little while I would never use a canister again exsept in a hospital tank. You can make a basic sump out of a used tank or anything for that matter the sump for my future tank is 100g water trough from UFA 100$$$ . well thats my 2 cents..... :lol:

Richard

medican
05-11-2004, 02:22 PM
I have a 90 g and I run a canister EHEIM works great, also have done the DIY top off in my tank, works great, now saying that what I wouldent do for a SUMP. IMO and what I have learned over the past little while I would never use a canister again exsept in a hospital tank. You can make a basic sump out of a used tank or anything for that matter the sump for my future tank is 100g water trough from UFA 100$$$ . well thats my 2 cents..... :lol:

Richard