PDA

View Full Version : My newest Kole Tang

The Guy
12-29-2012, 09:09 PM
I was lucky enough to find a Kole Tang at J&L on boxing day.When I brought him home I put him into my 33 long frag tank, he seems a little shy and scoots for cover when I come in the room. The only other fish in the tank is a small chromis, I have been feeding lightly with NS pellets, a little garlic enhanced marine flake and some frozen mysis. not sure if he's eating any of it because he's hidding in his live rock pile in the corner while I'm feeding, but notice the brown algea on the back of the tank has some little circles cleaned off, from what I read the brown algea is a big part of their diet. . I guess he just needs some time to get comfy in his new surroundings. I have him in this tank to make sure he's all good before I put him in the 90 G DT. Any input from others that have one of these tangs would be welcome.

daplatapus
12-29-2012, 10:16 PM
I've had one for a little over a year and is one of my favourite fish. Like you're experiencing, until they're comfortable they may be a bit reclusive, but as they get used to you that will go away. Mine absolutely LOVES nori. Doesn't seem to make any difference what kind. I do think they prefer green algae to brown as mine won't even touch the dictyota algae I have in my tank. If you haven't had to buy some yet for anything, head to the grocery store and in the Asian isles you'll find it for making sushi and stuff.

naesco
12-29-2012, 10:25 PM
I was lucky enough to find a Kole Tang at J&L on boxing day.When I brought him home I put him into my 33 long frag tank, he seems a little shy and scoots for cover when I come in the room. The only other fish in the tank is a small chromis, I have been feeding lightly with NS pellets, a little garlic enhanced marine flake and some frozen mysis. not sure if he's eating any of it because he's hidding in his live rock pile in the corner while I'm feeding, but notice the brown algea on the back of the tank has some little circles cleaned off, from what I read the brown algea is a big part of their diet. . I guess he just needs some time to get comfy in his new surroundings. I have him in this tank to make sure he's all good before I put him in the 90 G DT. Any input from others that have one of these tangs would be welcome.

The kole tang eats film algae which is the greasy stuff you see on the glass and smooth rocks.

Buy a bunch of those freshwater smooth rocks you see at a lfs and make a pile in your main tank. Soon they will be covered in film algae. Also keep an area on the back or side of your tank unclean and the film algae will grow there as well.

Dapatapus do the same. Although yours is eating nori it it s best to try to duplicate what it eats in the wild.

daplatapus
12-30-2012, 04:26 AM
Although yours is eating nori it it s best to try to duplicate what it eats in the wild.

Agreed.

I don't clean my back glass at all and have tons of rock that he does graze on all day. Funny how he'll peck his way around the dictyota though. Once my bigger tank is running I'll be getting a Naso for that. Thanks for the tip about the flat rocks though, never heard that. I'll give it a try.

The Guy
12-30-2012, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the tips guys I actually do feed nori in my 90 g for my yellow tang and Coral beauty. I don't clean my rear glass at all and thats where it looks like he's nibbling, just want him to get enough to eat.

Ginu
01-07-2013, 01:13 AM
I got my Kole from j&l a few months ago and it took a few days for him to get comfortable.
Mine loves nori and gets a little aggressive if I don't put a fresh clip in there daily... Also he loves flakes, pellets and frozen which I find odd... and he constantly grazes on the film algae on the back walls and rocks.

When I clean the glass he fights with mirror image which is entertaining to watch. My favorite fish, well they are all favorite :)

seapony
01-12-2013, 01:20 AM
How much is j&l charging for their kole tangs? It's definatly sounding like a fish I would be interested in getting

gregzz4
01-12-2013, 01:32 AM
How much is j&l charging for their kole tangs? It's definatly sounding like a fish I would be interested in getting
Their prices are on their website and are based on size and where they come from

Ginu
01-12-2013, 02:42 AM
Mine was from Hawaii, med size and 44 if I recall. Greg got his at the same time, but small and was 36 I'm guessing.

gregzz4
01-12-2013, 02:50 AM
Mine was $45 as he was just over 2"

Ginu
01-12-2013, 03:37 AM
Mine was $45 as he was just over 2"

Ah I thought tours was smaller than mine. Or at least it looked to be about one inch smaller.