PDA

View Full Version : Stollery Children's Hospital - Fish Tank Campaign

tgrover
12-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Hi All,

As a New Years resolution we have committed to raising $50,000 to build a 600 gallon mixed reef tank at the Stollery Children's Hospital.

Our campaign began this morning and can be viewed at:

http://www.indiegogo.com/Stolleryaquarium

In addition to your donations we need:

1) A local Fish Store partner. We will be organizing media and other PR but need a partner to host the media.
2) When the time is right we will need old, new, donated equipment.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - we need your help spreading the word. We all love the hobby for all the right reasons. It is thrilling! We passionately want the kids at the Stollery to share that thrill!!

Check out our campaign, like it, Facebook it... what ever you can please.

If you can help in other ways you can think of just email me: tim.grover@gmail.com

I really feel this can be a colle1ctive effort for the kids.

All the best,

Tim

PS LFS..... Email soon, this will be great for business!

Salt2Death
12-29-2012, 09:37 PM
I love this idea!
My son spent time there and the kids there are so full of wonder and excitement. I get misty eyed just thinking of all those kids.....

Please Give-

Sent Via The Pirate Ship...

tgrover
12-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the support Salt2Death!

The kids are simply amazing. I hope your son is ok.

Fundraising:

I set it up so that we can accept donations of $1 and up.

This is going to be a real grass roots projects. Once we get the ball rolling I can get some great corporate support... But of course they need some return... acceptable.

Any donation, even $1, is important at this stage.
http://www.indiegogo.com/Stolleryaquarium

I'm getting lt's of PM's. Thanks. If you can post as well that would be great and help us stay towards the top of the forum so we can inform other reefers

tgrover
12-29-2012, 10:56 PM
New Facebook Page....

We are just getting started...

http://www.facebook.com/StolleryChildrensHospitalFishTankCampaign

intarsiabox
12-30-2012, 01:19 AM
Has the U of A hospital actually given approval to have a 600g tank built in the Stollery wing? I only ask because there is no Stollery or UofA Hospital logo on your website and usually there is for fundraisers approved by the hospital. Also the Sick Kids and Alberta Kids links on the site don't go to anything related to a fish tank sponsorship. I have seen others with their hearts in the right place set up fund raisers for hospitals and museums for items they were sure they could use only to be told that they couldn't except the donation and I want to make sure this isn't the same case before I do any type of donating. Thanks.

tgrover
12-30-2012, 03:35 AM
Hi intarsiabox, Your comments couldn't be more more accurate! I have been working pretty hard on this. The Stollery Children's Foundation has been good to us but there is quite a process. There are lots of variables for sure.

I'm pretty sure this will work out. I have been at this for 20 years but this is this first time I have involved my passion for reef keeping with the Stollery. I think this is a perfect fit for all of the Edmonton Reefers.

I have a call with the foundation on Monday. That said I chose to use IndeGogo to run the funding of the campaign as ALL funds are refundable if we don't meet our goals.

If, for whatever reason, we can't move forward we will IMMEDIATELY refuynd all deposits. How likely is that though considering the perfec t fit!!

Does that work for you?

intarsiabox
12-30-2012, 03:42 AM
Yes it does. Thank-you for the reply and I hope to hear a positive response from the Stollery for you!

fishoholic
12-30-2012, 03:44 AM
Has the U of A hospital actually given approval to have a 600g tank built in the Stollery wing? I only ask because there is no Stollery or UofA Hospital logo on your website and usually there is for fundraisers approved by the hospital. Also the Sick Kids and Alberta Kids links on the site don't go to anything related to a fish tank sponsorship. I have seen others with their hearts in the right place set up fund raisers for hospitals and museums for items they were sure they could use only to be told that they couldn't except the donation and I want to make sure this isn't the same case before I do any type of donating. Thanks.

+1

600g seems like a huge undertaking for the U of A to be supportive of. I think having a tank for the children to enjoy is a great idea, but 600g is a lot of work and a big expense to maintain year after year. Honestly a 30g to max of 180g would be more realistic, and even then I'm not sure where a 180g would fit never mind a 600g in the hospital. I will try to call the hospital in the morning to see if I can get any further information about this project.

fishoholic
12-30-2012, 04:02 AM
Hi intarsiabox, Your comments couldn't be more more accurate! I have been working pretty hard on this. The Stollery Children's Foundation has been good to us but there is quite a process. There are lots of variables for sure.

I'm pretty sure this will work out. I have been at this for 20 years but this is this first time I have involved my passion for reef keeping with the Stollery. I think this is a perfect fit for all of the Edmonton Reefers.

I have a call with the foundation on Monday. That said I chose to use IndeGogo to run the funding of the campaign as ALL funds are refundable if we don't meet our goals.

If, for whatever reason, we can't move forward we will IMMEDIATELY refuynd all deposits. How likely is that though considering the perfec t fit!!

Does that work for you?

Did you mean Indiegogo?
http://www.indiegogo.com/

It says as their tag line "The world's funding platform. Go fund yourself." No offence but I for one am a bit skeptical, especially with a project of this size.

scubadawg
12-30-2012, 04:21 AM
I'm forwarding this thread to Ashif Mawji with the Stollery. I know Ashif from the Charity car events

http://www.stollerykids.com/about-us/our-board/ashif-mawji.aspx

lockrookie
12-30-2012, 04:26 AM
Personally and this is none of my business but a smaller easier setup to maintain would be better. If they give up on the yearly costs to maintain. And 50 grand could do a lot more good for kids with new equipment for treating.

Don't get me wrong I think it's a great idea the kids would definitely love it. I just worry for the long term with equipment failure and tank crashes. I do hope it works out for you tho

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

DiverDude
12-30-2012, 04:46 AM
This is a great idea; a tank like that would be relaxing and keep their attention for quite some time.

As expensive and challenging as building and stocking a tank like this is, it's really the easy and inexpensive part. Operating and maintaining it is the real kicker. The hospital will need long term commitment from someone they can finger for all aspect of the tanks' care. Electrical, water, salt, food, etc. all need to be accounted for as well.

From the hospital's perspective, this could only be considered if all those factors were suitable accounted for -and that's going to be difficult.

I hope this pans out but don't be discouraged if it doesn't. Bureaucracy is almost as powerful as the ocean itself.

howdy20012002
12-30-2012, 05:10 AM
I really like the idea as we all know how amazing and relaxing tanks can be.
however, I don't know how practical it will be.
I am not trying to speak for the other stores in the city, but that is a huge investment in time and money for a fishstore to commit to if you are looking at it as a donation.
that is a lot of man hours to maintain a 600 gallon tank.
I would look at supporting it with some free fish or corals..but wouldn't consider taking this on personally as a store sponsor.
once again, a great idea if it comes to reality.
but a huge commitment on all sides.

tgrover
12-30-2012, 05:24 AM
Hi Neal.

Yes.yes. yes, we will need all the help we can get, We are going to work hard at this and I will carry most of the costs. My main concern is giving the kid something cool... not a boring tank.. we have all seen that in our doctor and dentist's offices.

What I am looking for is backing and financial support to push this. We are not looking for anything other than passionate tank enthusiasts.

We are open to any suggestions.

Tim

Leah
12-30-2012, 11:02 AM
This is a great idea; a tank like that would be relaxing and keep their attention for quite some time.

As expensive and challenging as building and stocking a tank like this is, it's really the easy and inexpensive part. Operating and maintaining it is the real kicker. The hospital will need long term commitment from someone they can finger for all aspect of the tanks' care. Electrical, water, salt, food, etc. all need to be accounted for as well.

From the hospital's perspective, this could only be considered if all those factors were suitable accounted for -and that's going to be difficult.

I hope this pans out but don't be discouraged if it doesn't. Bureaucracy is almost as powerful as the ocean itself.

Thinking the same here. As wonderful of an idea as I think it is... it is just not practical and as some one stated the money could be used for new/or better equipment.

I wish you all the best with this.

intarsiabox
12-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Maybe an RSM250 would be a more practical sell to the Stollery? All in one, easier to maintain, smaller footprint,etc

Aquattro
12-30-2012, 03:45 PM
As someone that spends way too much time in the Pediatric ICU, I know that 50k worth of equipment is a much greater donation than a reef tank. That equipment kept my daughter alive last month, which is much more important that spending it on a tank. Yes, a tank is nice and kids like looking at it for a few minutes, but the suggested RSM might be a better alternative. Just my opinion as a parent of a kid that spends too many days in the hospital.

fishoholic
12-30-2012, 03:56 PM
As someone that spends way too much time in the Pediatric ICU, I know that 50k worth of equipment is a much greater donation than a reef tank. That equipment kept my daughter alive last month, which is much more important that spending it on a tank. Yes, a tank is nice and kids like looking at it for a few minutes, but the suggested RSM might be a better alternative. Just my opinion as a parent of a kid that spends too many days in the hospital.

+1 totally agree with you Brad. Also, while its a nice thought, the money would be way better spent on equipment.

FYI I've seen really cool 30g reef fish tanks, that I'm sure the children would find interesting to look at.

reefwars
12-30-2012, 04:01 PM
One concern I see is what if the tank blows out, who covers the damage and what happens God forbid someone gets hurt.

Def nice to see someone wanting to do so much but I agree that maybe the hospital would do better with the money towards things they desperately need.

Aquattro
12-30-2012, 04:10 PM
I guess my question is why? Sure, it's an impressive undertaking, but are we trying to impress someone? I know that supplying suction catheters isn't as grandeur, but trust me, there's a shortage. More times than not, I've had to come home to get supplies that the hospital just didn't have. My daughter needed 8 dosing pumps and a ventilator, not to mention just one food supplement that's $1000/day to supply. 50k can feed kids like that for less than 2 months.
And without full time supervision, a 600g tank is going to look like a large version of that dentist's tank in no time at all. Anyone that has a large tank will tell you it's not a part time job to maintain.
Really, if your heart is in helping the kids, buy them a biocube and some suction catheters.

tgrover
12-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Hi Brad,

That is a really good point. Really good. However the Stollery Foundation does look for donations and invest in plenty of therapeutic and ancillary components to the hospital as I'm sure you see every day.

There is no doubt that medical equipment is priority one.

Our group wants to give something special that will last for years to come.

The are endless details and considerations that have to be dealt with.

Please keep the comments coming as they will help this happen .

Thanks.

tgrover
12-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Hi Brad,

I should ask... would you be interested in helping with this project? I'm not here to impress anyone except the kids. If the campaign changes to include donating a tank and matching equipment that would be great.

We could really use someone with your real experience with the hospital.

Would you like to help mold the efforts?

Tim
ps. Just to put it out there my planning has and will be focused on the money side, that's my background. We are looking for help on the reef tank side and... thanks to Brad's comments, we need to focus on helping the kids medically as well.

howdy20012002
12-30-2012, 04:43 PM
If you are serious about this, I would suggest going and talking to the owner of AI.
they have tanks around the city in various public buildings and I am pretty sure that they do it all as advertisement..they also have full time staff running around doing tank maintenance.
I still think a 600 gallon is going to be a very steep hill and like many others have suggested, the money may be better spent elsewhere.
however, perhaps a smaller tank, like a 90 gallon FOWLR is something that is a more reasonable goal and I personally would be willing to help supply fish and LR towards its completion.
the biggest thing, IMO, to make this happen is so that it is not going to cost the hospital anything as I am pretty sure you will not be able to convince them that the money is well spent on fish verse kids....
I think that you are going to need to get a maintenance company on board that is willing to donate their time and supplies to maintain the tank...otherwise I don't see this happening.
As much as I like your enthusiasm, I personally think that taking people's money as donations at this point is a bit premature as there are many many steps in this procedure and I don't see this being a quick venture.
all the best
and like I said, Marine Experience will be willing to donate some fish and LR towards this if it reaches the point of filling the tank.
Neal

Aquattro
12-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Hi Brad,

I should ask... would you be interested in helping with this project?

No, I'm far too busy with my own sick kid :) But honestly, I know for a fact that the most important thing to a kid with an occluded airway is O2. Not a reef tank in the hall that is full of cyano because all the staff keep feeding it. I know that when the RT can't find a 4.0 peds trach because they ran out, that getting air in my daughter is more important than fish. I don't want to be mean, but buying a reef tank for the sick kids is like buying a 84" LED flat screen for an African village that simply needs water. Really nice thought, but pointless and wasteful in the end.
And it's not just here, we're pretty well off. Montego Bay hospital doesn't even have regulators on their O2 tanks in ER. So many kids could benefit from medical supplies with 50k. For me, a tank donation just takes away from what they really need to get better and go home.
Speaking of home, I have 10k worth of medical equipment here. I know some families can't get what they need due to wait lists.
I know there is no funding for training programs for trached kids, so my wife and I offer free training through our local PEDs unit. We donated gear to a woman up Island that adopted a Vietnamese boy with a trach, and was struggling to find all the gear. We gave her free training because there just isn't any.
A reef tank, in the big picture of needs, is really wasted dollars.

tgrover
12-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Hi Neal,

We are working with a LFS that jumped on this fast. They also have tanks everywhere and have been instrumental in the high level planning. The ongoing maintenance has been the main can be dealt with. I will share more once we agree on their role in the project.

It is early, there is no doubt about that but that's the way I make things happen. The importance of raising some funds early is that corporate sponsors will come on board with more confidence.

I am going to PM you as well.

Thanks,

Tim

Aquattro
12-30-2012, 05:13 PM
The importance of raising some funds early is that corporate sponsors will come on board with more confidence.

You see Tim, this is where it all falls apart. Corporate sponsors are doing it for advertising and tax right offs. No goodwill in there anywhere.
I guess there are 2 sides to the window, and you're on the outside looking in. But from inside, your plan is just ridiculous. Hospital staff will resent the money spent, parents with kids that suffer from being without gear will wonder how anyone could possibly waste money on a fish tank when kids are sick. Most kids are in and out, and could care less about fish. The kids that are in longer can't even get out to the hallway to see the fish, they're tied to a bunch of equipment that can't be moved.
I know you mean well, but you show complete lack of understanding of what is needed in the medical world. Supplies, training, more staff, faster turn around times in the lab. On the list of the most needed 1000 items in a hospital, a fish tank isn't on the list.
My daughter nearly died in November and the last thing I, her, my wife, the staff or anyone else cared about was fish. We need gear, we need meds, we need food and and we need staff. Not a fish tank. Seriously, maybe go talk to some people on the ground and ask how many think a tank outweighs life saving supplies.
I really don't mean to be an ass, but 50k worth of anything that isn't saving lives or improving the quality of life remaining is a complete waste of money. And no, when a kid just needs air in her lungs, a tank isn't improving anything :)

fishoholic
12-30-2012, 05:22 PM
You see Tim, this is where it all falls apart. Corporate sponsors are doing it for advertising and tax right offs. No goodwill in there anywhere.
I guess there are 2 sides to the window, and you're on the outside looking in. But from inside, your plan is just ridiculous. Hospital staff will resent the money spent, parents with kids that suffer from being without gear will wonder how anyone could possibly waste money on a fish tank when kids are sick. Most kids are in and out, and could care less about fish. The kids that are in longer can't even get out to the hallway to see the fish, they're tied to a bunch of equipment that can't be moved.
I know you mean well, but you show complete lack of understanding of what is needed in the medical world. Supplies, training, more staff, faster turn around times in the lab. On the list of the most needed 1000 items in a hospital, a fish tank isn't on the list.
My daughter nearly died in November and the last thing I, her, my wife, the staff or anyone else cared about was fish. We need gear, we need meds, we need food and and we need staff. Not a fish tank. Seriously, maybe go talk to some people on the ground and ask how many think a tank outweighs life saving supplies.
I really don't mean to be an ass, but 50k worth of anything that isn't saving lives or improving the quality of life remaining is a complete waste of money. And no, when a kid just needs air in her lungs, a tank isn't improving anything :)

Well said and I 100% agree

tgrover
12-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Hi Brad,

This isn't my first time raising money. I've been in business for 20 years in Edmonton. Have you ever been to the Stollery? They have world class equipment and world class therapeutic amenities for kids or parents.

Believe me, I am not nieve and I'm not on the outside. I wouldn't be wasting my time if I didn't think we could do this. I'm a determined guy, you have no idea. A personal attack was a bit offside... But I know this wont be easy.

Aquattro
12-30-2012, 05:38 PM
I know lots of people want to help...here are some ideas that just take a bit of time.

Parents with sick kids are stuck at the ward. They often live in other cities. Go up to the ward and offer to buy them dinner, then go get it for them. Be aware of allergies on the ward.
Offer parents your spare room for a weekend. It's gotta be better than the limited accommodations on the ward.
Donate pillows and blankets. We have a group of elderly women that make quilts for all the newborns. It's really appreciated. Get a similar group together in your area.
Toys and kids posters. Always in short supply. Books. Offer a book reading session for groups of kids.
Sign language. If you know it, teach it to the staff. my daughter is old enough to talk now, but none of the staff know sign. They all want to learn, but there is no funding for lessons. Many do it on their own, but it's tough without instruction.
Go ask the hospital how you can help. Lots of ways to assist the kids without spending money.
Lastly, if you have a bag of money to donate, ask the hospital how best to allocate it.(hint: they don't need any fish :))

noirsphynx
12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
If I'm not mistaken there are several aquariums already in the UofA maintained by a lfs.

Aquattro
12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Hi Brad,

This isn't my first time raising money. I've been in business for 20 years in Edmonton. Have you ever been to the Stollery? They have world class equipment and world class therapeutic amenities for kids or parents.

Believe me, I am not nieve and I'm not on the outside. I wouldn't be wasting my time if I didn't think we could do this. I'm a determined guy, you have no idea. A personal attack was a bit offside... But I know this wont be easy.

Tim sorry if anything came across as personal, it wasn't. As a parent of a sick child, I get a bit frustrated, I didn't intend to attack you personally, just the idea :)
I have no doubt you can do this, I'm just saying you shouldn't. It's not a good use of money. That's all I'm saying.
I haven't been to Stollery, but I do know of it's reputation, especially for trached kids. I know families that use their services, and one of our old RTs moved there to work. They do have a world class facility.
However, I'm sure if you talk to the staff and administration, mention you have 50k and were thinking of supplying a tank and support, or do they think it could be better spent, they would pick the better spent.

SanguinesDream
12-30-2012, 06:37 PM
As a sick child, I spent A LOT of time in the hospital back in the day that parents were not permitted in the room outside of visiting hours. And now, as my health deteriorates, most of my days are spent in bed. As a result, I got into aquariums and fishkeeping.

So my perspective isn't "practical" in the traditional sense but the power of an aquarium on a persons' well being is tremendous. Instead of focusing inward on the pain or suffering, I'm able to focus outward on the beauty of aquatic life.

Regardless of the equipment for physical needs, people tend to lose focus on the mental needs of the patient. The tension is high in these units from both the staff and parents. The child, unknowingly, feeds off of that stress causing actual physical harm to the healing process.

I support an aquarium for the peace of mind of the patient. Does it need to be 600 gallons? I don't know. I wish smaller tanks could be maintained in each of the rooms so that a child could redirect their thoughts outwards instead of inwards.

While it is heartwarming to see the wonderful cartoons and vistages painted on the walls of the rooms, it is entirely another thing to see and interact with a living biosphere.

Sometimes we chose utility over art only to forget that art has its' utility too. Best of luck with your project and it is a worthwhile venture.

Proteus
12-30-2012, 06:50 PM
I agree with brad 100%

I spend quit a bit of time in the hospital. I was in QT for a long time with nobody in and me not aloud out. The best thing that the hospital was able to do was supply a tv, DVD,and video games.

I would like to ask if you asked the staff and administrators there thought on this or what they really need

intarsiabox
12-30-2012, 06:55 PM
I would like to ask if you asked the staff and administrators there thought on this or what they really need

Just read post #6, he explained were he was in the process of this venture.

Aquattro
12-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Regardless of the equipment for physical needs, people tend to lose focus on the mental needs of the patient. The tension is high in these units from both the staff and parents. The child, unknowingly, feeds off of that stress causing actual physical harm to the healing process.

I agree with a lot of what you say, and especially the above comment. I've posted a couple of suggestions to reduce the stress on the parents, with utility type activities. As the parent, I can tell you this would help us a lot more than fish. I don't care about fish, I care the the Dr. just told me to be prepared for the worst. How do I not transfer that to my daughter? Fish aren't going to help.
I do agree that some sort of interaction would be great, so I suggested a biocube. Kids love Nemo, so set up a Nemo tank. Easy, cheap, maintainable.
We spent this Christmas Eve baking and soliciting Starbucks for coffee and took goodies and coffee to the staff and parents in the PEDs ICU. Pretty sure they enjoyed that more than Nemo :) It reduces the stress, makes the staff feel appreciated, helps the parents relax a bit knowing others know exactly what it's like to be stuck in the hospital with a sick kid. Cost me a bag of flour, some chocolate chips, a bit of gas and some time. Value= Priceless to the recipients.
Yes, the idea of a large reef on the ward is wonderful, but it's not practical. There are multiple stake holders, any one of which doing less than their part results in a total meltdown of the system. If I walked onto the ward and saw a 600g reef, I'd be awestruck. For 2 minutes. But if the hospital didn't have a 4.0 peds trach and my kid's is plugged, I'd be mad for a lot longer.
There are just so many better options to help. The tank idea is fine, but make it manageable. 50g or less. Look at some of the nanos we have posted here, they're just incredible. 600g @ 50k is wasteful and inappropriate for it's intention.

Proteus
12-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Just read post #6, he explained were he was in the process of this venture.

Ah yes. Thanks. I read the thread but must have brain lapsed as to what he said lol

tgrover
12-30-2012, 07:31 PM
SanguinesDream. Thank-you for summing up what I feel. I know this would be very important to the kids as a great distraction. I am also in a similar situation as you where I suffer with health issues and I too use my tanks as an escape from time to time.

Does it need to by 600g, no not at all. I will be working with the Stollery Foundation to figure out the best way we can help the kids in their opinion.

Arok3000
12-30-2012, 07:40 PM
I think it would be wise to review everything that Brad has posted and make your decisions from there. He has so many good points.
Let's just say that hypothetically the hospital has all the supplies it requires and the tank could be installed with a reasonable maintenance plan, that still doesn't change the fact that people are at the hospital to get better, for their kids to get better. Nobody in their right mind is going to be staring at a fish tank. Either the patients are in and out, or they're in their room with limited mobility.
I'm sure everyone remembers being in the mall as a kid and wanting to go to a store at the other end, only to have their mom tell them it's too far, or being at the zoo and wanting to see the lions, but it's too late and you have to get going home. A reef tank in a hospital would only cause this same sort of dissention. It will result in parents and nurses having to explain to a sick child that they can't go see the tank, resulting in a sick child getting upset and feeling left out. How horrible would it be to suffer from a serious illness, and feel alienated for other reasons also.

50k can buy a lot of colouring books and video games.

reefwars
12-30-2012, 07:48 PM
one thing i would also be prepared for is that there are going to be stressed out parents and upset parents that are going to see this tank as a waste of money while their young kid cant get what s/he needs, im sure alot of people will love it and find it relaxing but to a parent whos kid is suffering and no money to supply what they need they will raise a good argument about where the money for the hospital goes , and even though it is donated alot of parents are going to assume the hospital paid for this to be brought in.

Aquattro
12-30-2012, 07:54 PM
A few good points. Kids in QT can't go see it, that will upset them. Some parents will find it ridiculous and a waste of good money, as not everyone loves a good reef tank.
I know at our hospital, the layout does not have a common area, and kids can't wander away from their shared areas (security reasons). The halls also have a lot of beds and trolleys rolling around, breakage would be a concern.

However, the positive comments do have merit, and yes, I know my kid loves playing with the fish. But I'd really think smaller scale, cost wise and long term management wise.

Proteus
12-30-2012, 08:04 PM
What happens five years down the road when the funding runs out. The tank goes south and the hospital wants it gone.

More revenue will have to be used to remove and remodel the area to make it usable again. I know there are people who take cats and dogs etc. to the kids and the best part about what these people do is take the animals home at the end of the day. The kids still get companionship from the animal and there no use of hospital grounds that could hold a bed or a MRI

tgrover
12-30-2012, 10:09 PM
We are going to keep this simple. We will simply work with the Foundation and they can tell us what would be best for the kids.

SanguinesDream
12-30-2012, 10:28 PM
http://www.stollerykids.com/

I don't know how many have been to the Stollery in Edmonton or are familiar with their fundraising campaigns, but in the grand scheme of things, 50k is a drop in the bucket.

Did you know that part of your donation to Stollery goes to purchase auction items for fundraisers? Did you know that they also using fundraising dollars to purchase gifts for their large corporate sponsors? This is a well-oiled marketing machine. Please take a look at all of their suggestions for fundraising. Read all of the initiatives that they consistently run.

As a donor, I'd rather know that my donation is going to a specific function (aquarium) than into a general pool used by the Foundation to solicit more money. IMHO, THAT would be a slap in the face knowing that my donation helped buy "complimentary tickets" for a sporting event for a corporate sponsor. No, I have the right to donate for a project specific cause.

Also notice the term "net proceeds". This isn't all of the money that they raised but the amount that goes to the Foundation AFTER advertising, sponsorship incentives, facility hosting, and many other superflueous expenses are paid out. Don't kid yourself. The $20 that you pledge in one of those Miracle Marathons gets eaten up for advertising costs to just bring in the big fish.

How do parents of sick kids feel about that?

Salt2Death
12-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Wow.... Really never could I imagine such negativity from a group. Holy sad how negative this is going, my god if you can't say good things don't bother. It's not up for discussion on what or how- READ- its a post simply pointing out what they are trying to accomplish and it's a good goal!

My kids have spent time there and after telling them the idea of someone trying to raise funds for a huge reef tank they lit right up. "Dad all kids would love to see it, I'll bet even parents would enjoy it too!"

My goodness....

SanguinesDream
12-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Wow.... Really never could I imagine such negativity from a group. Holy sad how negative this is going, my god if you can't say good things don't bother. It's not up for discussion on what or how- READ- its a post simply pointing out what they are trying to accomplish and it's a good goal!

My kids have spent time there and after telling them the idea of someone trying to raise funds for a huge reef tank they lit right up. "Dad all kids would love to see it, I'll bet even parents would enjoy it too!"

My goodness....

+1

The feedback about maintenance and longterm followup is fair and I'd suspect something that the fundraising team is searching for. The negativity regarding the merits of the project, not so much.

Aquattro
12-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Wow.... Really never could I imagine such negativity from a group. ...

sounds to me like you have an opinion, and it's simply different than others. No negativity here, just some reality. The project will do whatever it wants, but I, just like you, am entitled to an opinion. And if he's going to post it here looking for help, it's become a public topic and everyone gets their say. Because you may not agree with my side does not make it negative. It's just fact that hospitals do not have enough equipment, supplies and staff, and throwing in a 50k fish tank is a complete waste of money. My opinion.

intarsiabox
12-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Also notice the term "net proceeds". This isn't all of the money that they raised but the amount that goes to the Foundation AFTER advertising, sponsorship incentives, facility hosting, and many other superflueous expenses are paid out. Don't kid yourself. The $20 that you pledge in one of those Miracle Marathons gets eaten up for advertising costs to just bring in the big fish.

How do parents of sick kids feel about that?

The report I read says that the Stollery foundation has an expense of $14.80 to raise $100 and 69% of all proceeds go directly into the program (some of the money goes to related charities as well). So they are doing pretty well in their management of raised dollars. People would have to be pretty nieve to think multi-million dollar charities run themselves for free.

I would hope the parents would feel greatful that people are donating and continue to do so and should be aware that fundraising is only a small percentage of were the money comes from to run the facility.

Proteus
12-30-2012, 11:38 PM
http://www.stollerykids.com/

I don't know how many have been to the Stollery in Edmonton or are familiar with their fundraising campaigns, but in the grand scheme of things, 50k is a drop in the bucket.

Did you know that part of your donation to Stollery goes to purchase auction items for fundraisers? Did you know that they also using fundraising dollars to purchase gifts for their large corporate sponsors? This is a well-oiled marketing machine. ?

I do this all the time. I current auctions all the time making money. I recently bought 7 kenmore central vacs all new in box for 600 dollars. I sold them for 1300. It's good money management. I'm sure if you donated 20 and they turned it into 2000 in a years time nobody would be upset

All companies give out graf. It's kind of expected. Beside anything that they buy. From hoodies to season hockey tickets is a thank you and a write off.

tgrover
12-30-2012, 11:39 PM
The Stollery Foundation is a pretty impressive BUSINESS. It's run as a business and they raise a lot of money. They spend ridiculous money on marketing but it does work. They also work with donors of 'items'. You can see that by walking the halls and public rooms.

SanguinesDream
12-31-2012, 12:09 AM
The report I read says that the Stollery foundation has an expense of $14.80 to raise $100 and 69% of all proceeds go directly into the program (some of the money goes to related charities as well). So they are doing pretty well in their management of raised dollars. People would have to be pretty nieve to think multi-million dollar charities run themselves for free.

I would hope the parents would feel greatful that people are donating and continue to do so and should be aware that fundraising is only a small percentage of were the money comes from to run the facility.

If that 31% is true, it is actually just below CRA's review rate for high cost fundraising.

The point being that those who are arguing "there is a better use for that money" may not realize that if that $50 000 were a cash donation, $15 500 of that would never see the hospital. Whereas a project with a $50,000 budget of capital and installation costs, a larger percentage would be actualized in bricks and mortar for the hospital.

If projects are going to be scrutinized, scrutinize them equally. Is anyone examining how useful a $50,000 cash donation would be???

https://chimp.net/charities/stollery-children-s-hospital-foundation

This report from 2010 shows an extremely high expense report of 80% and of that 80% of expenses, "Gifts for Qualified Donees" made up 63%.
$6, 023, 026 was spent on corporate gifts. That is outrageous!

If we were to compare the $50,000 cash donation, $31 500 would be used for corporate gifts. Think about it a little before you criticize and apply the same criterium to all projects.

SanguinesDream
12-31-2012, 12:12 AM
The Stollery Foundation is a pretty impressive BUSINESS. It's run as a business and they raise a lot of money. They spend ridiculous money on marketing but it does work. They also work with donors of 'items'. You can see that by walking the halls and public rooms.

+1

They actually spend a ridiculous amount on corporate donations. Their fundraising is only 21% comparatively to 63%.

My point being, use the same lense for scrutinizing/evaluating all projects before tanking a proposal.

Kevotron
12-31-2012, 01:05 AM
what I dont understand from reading this thread was why 600G ?
A tank that is 120G with easy to maintain softy corals would be more than enough to hold a children/adult non enthusiast's attention.
Kids that are sick and parents that are stressed out isn't going to benefit from seeing all the fancy SPS, LPS, Zoas
Donating a fish tank to the hospital is a great idea, but I think we are attaching some of our fish/coral obsessions along with the original idea, and in the end this will cause this project ultimately fail.
just my 2 cents.

tgrover
12-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Hi Kevotron,

I have certainly been getting lots of feedback and I agree a smaller tank may be better. I will be meeting with the Stollery Foundation and will leave it up to them... but a smaller tank, stocked and with good maintenance would be the way to go I think.

At least that seems to be the feedback so far, which has been much appreciated all around.

Tim

Leah
12-31-2012, 09:53 PM
I agree with a lot of what you say, and especially the above comment. I've posted a couple of suggestions to reduce the stress on the parents, with utility type activities. As the parent, I can tell you this would help us a lot more than fish. I don't care about fish, I care the the Dr. just told me to be prepared for the worst. How do I not transfer that to my daughter? Fish aren't going to help.
I do agree that some sort of interaction would be great, so I suggested a biocube. Kids love Nemo, so set up a Nemo tank. Easy, cheap, maintainable.
We spent this Christmas Eve baking and soliciting Starbucks for coffee and took goodies and coffee to the staff and parents in the PEDs ICU. Pretty sure they enjoyed that more than Nemo :) It reduces the stress, makes the staff feel appreciated, helps the parents relax a bit knowing others know exactly what it's like to be stuck in the hospital with a sick kid. Cost me a bag of flour, some chocolate chips, a bit of gas and some time. Value= Priceless to the recipients.
Yes, the idea of a large reef on the ward is wonderful, but it's not practical. There are multiple stake holders, any one of which doing less than their part results in a total meltdown of the system. If I walked onto the ward and saw a 600g reef, I'd be awestruck. For 2 minutes. But if the hospital didn't have a 4.0 peds trach and my kid's is plugged, I'd be mad for a lot longer.
There are just so many better options to help. The tank idea is fine, but make it manageable. 50g or less. Look at some of the nanos we have posted here, they're just incredible. 600g @ 50k is wasteful and inappropriate for it's intention.

OMG!!! Brad I am so, so, very sorry to read this, crying as I type. I have not had a sick child but do have a sickly one, who by the way is an adult now.

My heart goes out to any parent in this position, but honestly I would be really ****ed off to see this in a hospital, as much as I love my tanks and wish I could get every one a tank, nothing could ever replace a child. And all I would want is to get my child home healthy and never look back.

I am pretty sure you came to the right place as a tank that size is a money pit and we can all vouch for it.

The money could be put to a thousand better uses..I am pretty sure that not all the families that are going there with these precious babes have very much. Just my 2 cents.

daniella3d
01-01-2013, 04:25 AM
Not a good idea. Last time I saw a fish tank in such place it was neglected to no end. It was sad sad sad.

It's not a proper place to put such tank. So many things can go wrong with a tank that is well cared for, I can only imagine the pain that such tank would cost in a inproper place with no one dedicated long term to it.

Evilweevil
01-01-2013, 06:39 AM
Wouldn't a tank in a place like the hospital be better with some nice fish and fake rock and corals like they do on those shows like tanked and fish tank kings way easier to care for and clean , I know it's not how we in the hobby like our tanks to be , but for just ease of upkeep its got to be better, a tank with live rock and corals could turn into an awful mess real fast I would think

paddyob
01-01-2013, 02:52 PM
I thought there was a tank there... and I thought AI was taking care of it.

paddyob
01-01-2013, 03:00 PM
what I dont understand from reading this thread was why 600G ?
A tank that is 120G with easy to maintain softy corals would be more than enough to hold a children/adult non enthusiast's attention.
Kids that are sick and parents that are stressed out isn't going to benefit from seeing all the fancy SPS, LPS, Zoas
Donating a fish tank to the hospital is a great idea, but I think we are attaching some of our fish/coral obsessions along with the original idea, and in the end this will cause this project ultimately fail.
just my 2 cents.

Agreed. Good idea... Bad plan.

It needs to be simple. So if something goes wrong ... Like my tank currently... It can be monitored.

My 100g system is crashing. And it's soooo much work to try figure it out. There is no company in town giving daily service out for free (that I'm aware of) and I can't think anyone will willing pay for it.

A big tank will need to be babysat in a place like that or the maintenace company will look bad.

KISS.. Keep it simple stupid. Lol.

Good luck with your plan either way.

HaZRaTTy
01-04-2013, 08:25 PM
I thought there was a tank there... and I thought AI was taking care of it.

There is a tank there, being in and out of the stollery with sick kids regularily I walk by the Cube tank alot. Its always clean and seems to be well maintained. I do believe AI's stamp/crest is on the tank.

When i'm in and out of the Stollery and its busy one main attraction is most definetly the fish tank, I haven't been into the stollery when someone wasn't plastered to the glass myself included.

There is nothing more relaxing then doing paperwork while watching a fish tank at 4am.

Sorry as I am not going to comment on too much here as there has been very good and supported claims and opinions, what I will say is there I believe 90g cube is more then enough to satisfy kids/parents and staff. I do believe the fundraised money would be much better used for many other things in the stollery.

tgrover
01-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Yes, AI actually has 5 tanks throughout the Stollery. Primarily fresh water.
We want to build a premium reef tank, similar to what they have built for Telus. Also similar to tanks MA builds for private homes.

Both Ron at AI, Josh and Harvey at Marine Aquaria are helping with the project so far.